FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PortlandCon *June 27-29* (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: PortlandCon *June 27-29*
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Tentative schedule:
Friday - OMSI
Saturday - board games at the hotel; possibly trip to farmer's market for those for whom it's not Shabbos [Wink]
Sunday - ? maybe botanical gardens

Powell's was also discussed.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, board games! Though you'd need to avoid any that involve writing? Like if there's a word game and we want to keep score?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
It turns out I actually might not be able to make it after all. [Frown] My family is having a reunion that week in southern Colorado.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Though you'd need to avoid any that involve writing? Like if there's a word game and we want to keep score?

Right. But I plan to bring Chrononauts, Fluxx, and Nanofictionary -- no writing with any of those.

hansenj, [Frown]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny! My family is also having a reunion in Colorado that week. But my parents apparently aren't going this year, and as much as I like the reunions, I probably won't go this time either, given PortlandCon, the cost of flying, and not having the rest of my immediate family there.

Edit to clarify: Funny that your family is having a reunion in the same state at about the same time. Not funny that you might not be able to come. [Frown]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Maybe you two are related. [Wink]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

That would be quite amusing. [Smile]

You're not going to the Martin family reunion, are you, hansenj?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Ha ha! Nope! It's a small reunion (just my mom's family), so I know all the people that will be there. That would be hilarious, though.

I'm still sad about missing the gathering, though. I was very excited for it!

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Checking in . . . still on a go?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

I'll be there, at least! Glad you can make it [Smile] Is Nathan coming?
Shan
Member # 4550

Yay, Shigosei! If nothing else, one or two Nathan pictures will come along for the ride. *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... Maybe I could buy people a round of hot chocolate (or coffee or what-have-you) at Powell's? It may be time someone at Hatrack could confirm that I exist. [Smile]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Hey, is there anyone who might be able to room with Mr. Funny at the hotel?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Shan:
Checking in . . . still on a go?

It better be! [Wink]

Sterling, you're welcome to join us for more than that, if you'd like.

Shan
Member # 4550

Just making sure . . . *grin*

---------------------

Alrighty then! Reservations completed for the Ramada, Friday June 27 and Saturday June 28.

I am taking Friday off work and plan on driving down in the early a.m. I have 3 extra OMSI tickets -- good for general admission, but not special exhibits -- whatever that means.

Nathan is wanting to stay at home and work on building a tree fort with his dad, so I have carpool room for one (or possibly two, if a petite person doesn't mind being in the back seat of my truck) from the Oly area to Portland, if anyone is coming from the north . . .

[ June 16, 2008, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

rivka
Member # 4859

OMSI has an IMAX or somesuch, neh? I imagine that's the not-included part. Or one of them.
rivka
Member # 4859

Also, can I assume that someone will be able to give me a ride on Friday to get kosher food, at some point? *puppy eyes*
Shan
Member # 4550

Well, absolutely, m'dear. I'll happily chauffeur. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

[Kiss]
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also in on this, just so everyone knows. I'll definitely be available Saturday and most likely Friday afternoon if not the whole time. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Yay! Cecily!

Are we doing OMSI on Friday afternoon, then?

rivka
Member # 4859

I thought the consensus was OMSI in the morning, Powell's in the afternoon, but I'm easy. [Wink]
Shan
Member # 4550

Works for me. What time do you want me to meet you for food shopping? 8ish AM or between OMSI and Powell's trips? Or . . . ?
hansenj
Member # 4034

rivka- You can do things after sunset on Saturday, right? Because I'd really like to be in on the Powell's trip, and I won't get back in town until too late Friday night. I've lived here for more than a month now, and I still haven't made it there! I'm shocked at myself, truly. If that doesn't work out, it's ok. I just wanted to put it out there in case it would work with other people. I don't want to be a nuisance, and really I'll be happy with whatever's going on when I'm back. I know I'll make it to Powell's someday soon.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Works for me. What time do you want me to meet you for food shopping? 8ish AM or between OMSI and Powell's trips? Or . . . ?

8am-ish sounds good. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by hansenj:
rivka- You can do things after sunset on Saturday, right? Because I'd really like to be in on the Powell's trip, and I won't get back in town until too late Friday night.

It's actually not until after dark, which that day means 9:49. Powell's closes at 11 -- that's pretty tight, neh? [Frown]

We absolutely must get to a TJ's, btw. Shigosei has never been!!!

The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
You'll need way more time at Powells.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So who's interested in checking out the nightlife?

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Genuine:
You'll need way more time at Powells.

Right, which is why I was thinking Friday.

Also, how long will we need at OMSI?

Shan
Member # 4550

A late AM trip (after the 8am-ish grocery shopping trip) with brown bag lunch at OMSI, followed up by Powell's around 3 PM? How does that sound?

Is sitting in the sun around the pool allowed for you on Saturday, rivka? (Providing we have any sun, of course . . . *scowl*)

So, who all is going to be along on this shindig?

Roll Call! Count noses!

The Genuine
Member # 11446

Sorry Rivka, never been to OMSI. Just guessing, it seems like a minimum 3-hour affair, even without Imax, right? The locals seem to make a big deal out of it, anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shan, who are you? You live in Portland? I live in Lake Oswego.

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

It's possible to spend all day there, really. I'd say three hours would be minimum.
hansenj
Member # 4034

Yep, that's too tight. That's ok! I'll make it down there sooner or later (hopefully sooner [Wink] ).

As for the roll call, my husband and I (and James, of course! [Smile] ) are available for all of Saturday and limited Sunday activities after about 1:00pm. Are the rose gardens still an option for Sunday afternoon?

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
A late AM trip (after the 8am-ish grocery shopping trip) with brown bag lunch at OMSI, followed up by Powell's around 3 PM? How does that sound?

Excellent. [Smile] I'd like to be back at the hotel by about 7 pm, but that should work fine. Yes?

quote:
Is sitting in the sun around the pool allowed for you on Saturday, rivka? (Providing we have any sun, of course . . . *scowl*)

I'm not a big fan of sunbathing. But I am bringing board/card games, and I hope others will too. I will have food for myself for Shabbos (hence the trip Friday), and y'all can go somewhere -- I know Jesse wanted to drag y'all to someplace I can't go, so doing it when I can't go anyway makes sense to me. Or y'all can bring food in, if that works better.

My suggestion for Sunday would be brunch/lunch at the only kosher place in town, followed by the botanical gardens. The Mormons won't be able to do the restaurant (if I understand correctly), but they'll all be at services then anyway. Right?

Corrections, counter-suggestions, etc. are welcomed. [Wink]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
As far as OMSI goes, it's really not that impressive compared to the Seattle Science Center, the Chicago MSI, or any other large city science museum. I was amazed that people thought it was the end all be all. I was raised in Chicago, folks!

That being said, I think we could get through it in two hours. [Smile] Including IMAX if we decide to. Ok, maybe 3 with the IMAX. [Smile]

As far as Sundays go, we all probably meet at different times, but if you set a time for the Rose Gardens, I can probably swing it. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I believe 1 o'clock was suggested for garden-hopping. It's not too hot then, right? (It would be here. This week, anyway.)

Is there a difference between the Rose Gardens & Botanical Gardens? People have mentioned both -- are they the same thing?

The Genuine
Member # 11446

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I will have food for myself for Shabbos (hence the trip Friday), and y'all can go somewhere -- I know Jesse wanted to drag y'all to someplace I can't go, so doing it when I can't go anyway makes sense to me.

I did? I don't recall any particular place. [Dont Know]

Oh, you mean Ruth's Chris? Yeah, anyway, I think that idea got shot down across the board.

But for nighttimeactivities, Portland has a really vibrant and distintive bar scene. It also has the highest number of strip clubs per capita of any major city. Perhaps we could check some of it out on Saturday?

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'll be able to join everyone at some point, but it sounds as if the fun stuff will be done by that point. <sniffle>

I'm teaching until around 7pm Friday, so I can only hang on Friday evening, Saturday all day, and Sunday all day.

I'm not sure about the botanical gardens, but Portland's Japanese Gardens are amazing to behold! The rose gardens will look pretty this time of year, but it's nothing compared to the JG, in by opinion...

On Saurdays, I enjoy visiting the Saturday Market, then getting lunch there, or at Pioneer Place mall nearby.

The local public transportation (light rail) is free in the downtown area, if you weren't aware.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah...

Years ago, I worked at the OMSI science store (gift shop). As an employee, I got free admission to exhibits and movies.

If you ask me, three hours is enough for maybe seeing exhibits, but not for exhibits plus OmnImax. There is also a tour available of a diesel submarine (USS Blueback, sub used in the filming of Hunt for Red October) and a planetarium show. Heck, the gift shop alone used to be worth a good half-hour!

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Genuine:
But for nighttimeactivities, Portland has a really vibrant and distintive bar scene. It also has the highest number of strip clubs per capita of any major city. Perhaps we could check some of it out on Saturday?

All those who are not fans of bars and strip clubs are welcome to stay at the hotel and play board games with me. [Big Grin]
The Genuine
Member # 11446

quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
I'm not sure about the botanical gardens, but Portland's Japanese Gardens are amazing to behold! The rose gardens will look pretty this time of year, but it's nothing compared to the JG, in by opinion...

I hadn't even heard of the botanical gardens until they were mentioned as part of this Con. But yes, the JG is great. And I'd probably agree about the Rose Gardens, simply because rows and rows of roses kinda all look the same, whereas the JG is quite diverse. The view of the city is better at the RG though.
hansenj
Member # 4034

Ooh! I really like the idea of the Japanese gardens! Are they close enough to each other that we could do both on Sunday afternoon? I like that idea, personally. And judging by the weather lately, it will only be in the 70s, which is perfect weather.

I also like the idea of visiting the Saturday Market, and doing lunch there (perfect for Saturday because it's probably not kosher). If I recall, it was mentioned somewhere before. I think we should plan on doing that, and then going back to the hotel to play games with rivka. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

So, to review, the currently suggested schedule is as follows?

Friday:
8-ish: Kosher food expedition. Shan & Rivka and any hangers-on.
10 (?) -ish: OMSI.
3-ish: Powell's
7-ish: Rivka back at hotel (I'll need some time to finish getting ready for Shabbos, which starts at about 8:45)
Friday night: Board games and chatting. Alternatively, I know some people wanted to do nightlife things.

Saturday: Saturday Market w/ lunch for all non-Shabbos observers; board games for everyone.
Saturday night: Bars and such for Jesse & co.; board games or ? for the rest of us.

Sunday:
10? 11? Brunch here
(Hotel check-out)
1-ish: Japanese Gardens
4-ish: Other gardens
6-ish: Rivka to airport (that should be enough time, neh? At least, if I get a ride with someone rather than depending on the hotel shuttle? My flight is at 8)

The only thing missing from the schedule is TJ's. [Big Grin]

hansenj
Member # 4034

TJ's? *lost*

I like it. [Smile]

Paul and I have a few good games to contribute for Saturday. We've got Settlers (with Cities and Knights and 5-6 player expansion), Bang! (with an expansion we haven't tried yet), dominoes, Clue, Rook, Phase 10, and a whole bunch of others. If there are certain other mainstream games (ie Taboo, Monopoly and such) that people are fond of, let us know. We might own it.

hansenj
Member # 4034

Oh, and we have a Wii with Mario Kart, Big Brain Academy, Dr. Mario, Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Mario Galaxy...but only two controllers.
The Genuine
Member # 11446

Trader Joes.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could be there! hansenj, I don't know how big a group will be there, but rivka will be unable to do a few of those activities on Shabbos (specifically, Wii anything, and Clue, I believe. Anything that requires use of electricity or writing.) But I'm sure anything you bring will be appreciated.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

I wondered about that. Well, we'll bring it if there's any interest expressed. Otherwise, we'll leave it at home. [Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

The Japanese Gardens are delightful! I haven't been to the Rose Gardens, I don't think . . . IMAX will give me motion sickness, so I'm all for a shorter time at OMSI and longer at Powell's. *grin* However, I'll be heading back home about lunchtime on Sunday (long work week ahead), so I'll miss the Sunday fun and games.

I can bring Monopoly, or a cribbage board and cards, if anyone's interested. Also, Nathan and I just picked up the Jamestown Survivor game -- we haven't played it yet -- I could bring that down, too, if y'all want. It doesn't look like it involves any writing. I could also bring Risk, and some brave soul could try to teach me the game. *sigh* That'd make my son happy.

Now, as long as he and his father don't build a treehouse 30 feet off the ground while I'm away . . . *muttering imprecations to self*

Sterling
Member # 8096

Just so you know: the Japanese gardens are magnificent, but there is an entry fee. However, there is a day pass that can be checked out from some libraries if you have a friend who can arrange to do so. (Would offer, but I've been living across the river for some time now, and my Portland library card is no longer good.)

I understand writing is out, but is playing games that keep track of score some other way (moving a token around the edge of the board on a score track) acceptable?

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Such as with Ticket to Ride? Or whatever that train one is called? I'd love to try that one with the scoring some time. The people we played it with once didn't know what the numbers around the outside of the board were. We just tried to tally everything at the end.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

I don't have Ticket to Ride, but that's a good one. A lot of games of German origin seem to have a similar mechanic. I do have "Primordial Soup", though (a.k.a. "Ursuppe"), which also uses said mechanic.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.