FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PortlandCon *June 27-29* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: PortlandCon *June 27-29*
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
For years I've been talking about visiting y'all in the PacNW. Time for money where the mouth (fingers?) is!

After some discussion with locals, this is what we tentaively have (besides the dates, which BTW are Father's Day weekend):
This looks like the most likely hotel. Internet, lounge(s), good-sized rooms with fridge/micro available. Close to the OMSI.

Tentative schedule:
Friday - OMSI
Saturday - board games at the hotel; possibly trip to farmer's market for those for whom it's not Shabbos [Wink]
Sunday - ? maybe botanical gardens

Powell's was also discussed.

[ June 25, 2008, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders if she can convince KPC that this would be an EXCELLENT way to spend Father's Day*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. 2 nights would be less than $200... And it's not THAT bad of a drive... Hmmmm... He does like to take "mini vacations"...

I sense that some bribery is in order. [Evil]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What will he have to give you?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wouldn't you like to know? [Evil Laugh]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, no thanks.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Way cool! Day trip! [Smile]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! I'd be up for meeting up with Hatrackers in Portland.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Grrr. That Friday is a workday for me. Last day of work before summer vacation. [Razz]
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yay! Shan is coming! [Smile] Any idea which day?

Bando, sorry. Can you join us either of the other days?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Should be able to. My wife will be coming too, most likely.

BTW, when you say farmer's market, do you mean the Portland Saturday Market?

rivka
Member # 4859

I think so. But you're asking the person least likely to know.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

http://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/

Info here. It's pretty fun if you haven't been there before. There's also usually some pretty darn good food. I wouldn't call it a farmer's market so much, since it really is more about crafts, etc. than it is about local produce.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
for those for whom it's not Shabbos [Wink]

That was specifically to exclude me.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Oh right. Duh.

[Blushing]

edit to add: incidentally, Mrs. BC and I might be able to join the Friday expedition to OMSI later in the day. It all depends on how long it takes us to wrap up business at our schools that day. Our administrators may even allow us to finish our work later on. I know *I'M* planning on frequently visiting my office and band room over the course of the summer.

rivka
Member # 4859

There is now talk of fitting OMSI and Powell's both in on Friday. Either way, we'd love to have you two join us for as much as you can. [Smile]
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Powells is...amazing. If you love books (why else would you be on this website, eh?), then you MUST NOT miss out on Powell's in a visit to Portland.

...watch out for the crazy hippies, though... They migrate from Eugene every once in a while.

rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah definitely want to see Powell's. I've been ordering from their website for years. [Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

Friday is Nathan's last day of school -- I think they are done at noon, so we could make it to Portland between 2-3 pm. Unless I can talk him out of going to the last day which is 'just' a field day . . . and taking a trip to Portland -- maybe by train . . . hmmm. . . I have a day retreat on Saturday, but Sunday is possible, too. If Greg is okay with a "Father's Day" trip to Portland.

Powell's is so awesome! *excited* It will be simply wonderful to meet rivka and all the other wonderful folks who can make it . . . *smile*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I think I might be a bit overawed by Rivka's presence, particularly if she wears a digital display over her head that indicates her current post count.

But I, too, look forward to meeting all who can make it!

rivka
Member # 4859

Darn, I knew I forgot to update somewhere. I can't do that weekend; my eldest is graduating junior high.

We're still trying to figure out what date to do it instead . . . so far, nothing that works for everybody.

Bando, I leave the digital display at home. My mother would be scandalized if I wore something like that in public!

rivka
Member # 4859

Does anyone wish to register a preference or "can't make it" for either Memorial Day weekend or the last weekend in June?
Shan
Member # 4550

Either is good to this point . . . but the sooner we decide, the sooner I can cross that time off on the calendar as booked!

I think the last weekend in June would be my "preference", though. [Smile] But, either way . . .

rivka
Member # 4859

My ex (who would have the kids) votes for Memorial Day. [Wink] But can do either.

I'm going to wait a couple more days for any other yelps. [Wink]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I can do either as well.

I'll go ahead and register Beverly's preference for the last weekend in June.

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul and I can do either. [Smile]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You're following us!
rivka
Member # 4859

Imagine how I feel. [Wink]
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I can do either, as well.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um, Memorial Day might be a bit much for us-- it's close to my birthday, lots of going on, and the baby will still be a bit young and we'll still be a bit tired.
Shan
Member # 4550

*bumpage*

Do we have a date?

*wiggles eyebrows enquiringly*

rivka
Member # 4859

oops. [Embarrassed] Must check ticket prices again and buy one. Thanks for the reminder!
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Yes, please. Let me know the date so I can block off the weekend.

Hey, if it's the end of May, all of you can help me move into a new house! Yay for apartment life ending!

The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
Really the botanical gardens over the rose/Japanese gardens or Chinese garden?
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Wall Bash]

Ticket prices are up -- all the really cheap tickets for Memorial weekend are gone (unless I want to miss an extra day of work and return crack-of-dawn Monday). Looking at last weekend in June . . .

rivka
Member # 4859

Booked! Arriving late Thursday night June 26, and leaving Sunday night the 29th.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

See you then! [Wave]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I still need to talk to KPC about this and see if we'll be able and willing to do this...
Shan
Member # 4550

Cool beans! I have noted the days in my calendar.

Are you still thinking the same hotel, rivka?

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Neat. I'll be able to hang out by the evening of the 27th, but not during the day at all. I'm on staff for a leadership camp for metropolitan-area marching band section leaders and drum majors.
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm excited! [Smile]

I didn't realize that by moving to Oregon I'd be joining such a big clump of Hatrackers! [Big Grin] So fun.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Shan:
Are you still thinking the same hotel, rivka?

Yup. Booked my room as part of my Expedia package.
Shan
Member # 4550

So, the fundraising auction my son's school just had, has 4 OMSI tickets for $32.00 (or MAO).

Should I MAO? Do folks want to go to the museum?

rivka? Is this one of the activities you're interetsed in?

rivka
Member # 4859

We definitely wanted to do OMSI on Friday, neh?

What's the regular admission price?

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I won't be able to come Friday :-(

Not that this should deter anyone from visiting OMSI -- I just wish that my wife and I could go with you.

Shan
Member # 4550

Not sure. It's the same or more, as I recall -- and that was from the last Hatrack visit a few years ago. I'll e-mail the school and see if they still have the tickets, though.
rivka
Member # 4859

Bando, we'll just have to make sure to do fun stuff the days y'all can come. [Smile]

Shan, cool.

Shan
Member # 4550

Okay! I have 4 tickets for OMSI. Unless, Nathan changes his mind and decides not to pal along with his wonderful mom and visit a hotel with a pool (grin), there will be two tickets available to those who need 'em for our field trip.
rivka
Member # 4859

Awesome! [Smile]
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally googled OMSI, though when I really thought about it, I had an inkling. OMSI
I think I could probably talk my husband into that. What else is planned?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.