FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If Bob were a woman or dkw were a man... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: If Bob were a woman or dkw were a man...
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko, I did get the photo, and thank you. But I can’t replace the one on foobonic without losing all the comments people made.

Plaid, you would never have to gate-crash. You’re on the guest list.

Banna, no, mjk and pjk are from Ames.

[ March 28, 2004, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I am? Wow!! [Blushing]

So is this being held in your hometown? Are we going to be overwhelm the locals? Will we outnumber them? (For that matter, will we outnumber the kinfolks at the wedding?)

*Visualizes wedding*
"Are you with the groom's side, the bride's side, or the Hatrack side?"
*Visualizes jatraqueros hogging all the best seats, and Bob and Dana's kin squeezed into the back*

[Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
We're trying to NOT worry too much about "sides" in the church, but Dana's extended family is huge and many (but not all) are within easy travel distance, whereas my extended family is small and unlikely to travel there.

So, plenty of seating on one side, crowded on the other.

Or, just come in and sit anywhere.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll all file in and sit on Bob's side. [Smile] Wow, Bob! You sure don't look like all the members of your family!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
With Southern Italian, Northern Italian, Austrian and Slavic blood mixed in, I'm pretty sure anyone lacking an epicanthic fold is going to look like one or more of my relatives.

531710, m.o.l.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Perfect. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Slavic blood?

[Eek!]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I’m in favor of the “just come in and sit anywhere” option. I’m always thought that having people take sides at the wedding sets a bad precedent.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

especially if they're armed!

Kama -- yep. Jugoslavian.

Town is called Rabaç, outside of Trieste.

Basically, they were whatever nationality took over that week, according to my grandmother.

note: Edited to add the uber-cool ç character in the name Rabaç.

Bob Sçopatz
[Big Grin]

[ March 29, 2004, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
With a name like Scopatz you were expecting what, Irish?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
*wanders in, cause it's a thread by Lavalamp!*

*throws a fit*

This is what happens when I leave home for a weekend? This is what I miss? Geeze!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Congratulations, you two!! I will so be there!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I can do the beard and glasses and Slavic bit, Bob... now, if you can just write me some good jokes, then I can really try to pass myself as one of your relatives... [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
<-- drove through Rabac on Istria, Croatia

<-- doesn't remember any ubercool characters in "Rabac"

[Smile]

Edit:
<-- should have stayed in House Skopac

[ March 31, 2004, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Sal ]

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah . . . Bob just likes that cedilla thingy.

[ March 31, 2004, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Doesn't everyone like a good dangly thing?

Sal, hey thanks for the website! I wrote them an e-mail. I wonder if I may still have relatives over there.

Hmm...

Roots.

[ March 31, 2004, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
We are WAY jazzed about this at the Card house. So congrates Bob and Dana. Things like this make Hatrack worthwhile -- a real community. [Group Hug]
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

1. Wow! You got accolades from the Cards.

--and--

2. Posts like that make me nervous. I get this idea we are just hanging on by a thread.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Kristine...thanks! It really is a great community and as we've found, one that is both difficult to explain to others, but easy as well.

For example, it's not really correct to say simply "we met online" because that implies so many ominous things in today's society. Or people think it's a dating service and they ask how much you charge and whether there's streaming audio.

But when we say it like "we met through a discussion group" or "it's an online community" people may not know what it means but they at least don't come away with the completely wrong impression.

What more can I say but thanks to our hosts & moderators for letting us use your living room. I hope we can make it worth your time, money and effort.

SillyMe
Member # 6395

- posted      Profile for SillyMe   Email SillyMe         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I can't stand it anymore!

Hi, all..........I'm Kris, a friend of Dana's. [Smile] She sent me the link of this thread to read and I've been lurking. [Blushing]

I just had to tell you all I had the privilege of meeting Bob last weekend and WOW what a guy! He scored big brownie points when he heard that I am a daycare provider said, "Oh, do you own your own business?" [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Maybe a small distinction to some, but a BIG issue to me. PLUS he didn't even mind when my team beat his at Scene-It. [Cool]

Anyway, your last post is what made me register and speak up, Bob.......I also am part of an "ONLINE COMMUNITY" of childcare providers and so I totally DO understand. I even posted over there about you two. [Smile]

Welcome in advance to the Great Corn State........ I am a transplant to this state myself, and I can testify that you will love it here. [Smile]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

quote:
What more can I say but thanks to our hosts & moderators for letting us use your living room.
[Angst]

Don't they have hotels in Iowa?

And isn't North Carolina a bit of a long drive?

[Angst]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Kris!

Welcome. [Smile]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Welcome to the community Kris.

I was questioning your name when I realized you hit the smiley limit with your first post. Yep, SillyMe sounds some how fitting.

Now, dish all the Dana dirt her sister refused to tell.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
SillyMe - I talk to child care providers every day, for work. I'm so glad you do actively consider yours a business - you might be amazed to know how many think of it simply as a job. If you were in my database, I imagine I'd be delighted when I saw your name come up on my call list. [Smile]

Also - is this
quote:
Welcome in advance to the Great Corn State
confirmation that Bob will in fact be moving to Iowa? I hope so!
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2. Posts like that make me nervous. I get this idea we are just hanging on by a thread.
I think this means that if it ever looks like Hatrack is in danger of shutting down, you're going to have to marry one of the eligible single men here, Kat.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Thanks Kris. Welcome to the board!

And thanks for the brownie points. I hope those are low carb brownie points.

I think the great corn state and I will get along in perfect hominy!

And I'm getting used to losing at Scene-It. At least this time I did it in person. It made all the difference. [Big Grin]

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
I think this means that if it ever looks like Hatrack is in danger of shutting down, you're going to have to marry one of the eligible single men here, Kat.
[ROFL]
For the good of the community?

[Razz] I wouldn't mind.

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean you won't be coming here for Thanksgiving, or that you will be bringing Dana?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Bob and Corn, a natural attraction taken to new heights daily.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob's moving to Iowa then? [Big Grin] All the better for them to come visit me, no doubt!! [Big Grin]

Muwhahaha... More people will come to a Hatrack get-together if Bob comes! (starts planning 2007 MN get-together)

...What? They have national karate tournaments here...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Aw, shucks!

[Big Grin]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Kayla...I think the holidays will be spent with Dana's folks, probably at our place. (OMG! "our" place!!!) [Eek!]

But...we'll be very close to the KC area and could probably visit you & yours at other times.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::grits his teeth at the awful puns being made::

[Big Grin]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
Bob and Corn, a natural attraction taken to new heights daily.
I'm told the corn stalks grow to 15 feet or more by harvest time.

quote:
Aw, Shucks!
[ROFL]

I think Icarus has an ear for a good pun.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Because seriously, Bob and Icarus, they are awful. I should know--I have a ear for this kind of thing.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

again, Bob, curse you and your speedy fingers!

::stalks out of thread::

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Iowa, what better place for a stalker to live?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well, you beat me on that one. I'd say we've hit critical masa.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Aaaaah, the sweet sweet revenge of being the one with the faster fingers for a change.

That said, there is a kernel of truth to what Bob just said.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Since have of this thread is Corn, and the other half is syrupy sweet, do we have Corn Syrup?

I am A-Maized if we do.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Deere me! This thread really has brought in a bumper crop of puns.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh, and remember, I'm going to be on a low-cob diet when I get there.
Noemon
Member # 1115

...he said huskily.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

...especially after getting some squeezin's.

[ March 31, 2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how long it will take you boys to plow through all the possible bad puns.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Well, you creamed me with that one!
lcarus
Member # 4395

So are you guys going to dress traditionally, with tuxes and a white dress, or is Dana going to wear harvest?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

That one went against the grain, Icarus.
Noemon
Member # 1115

[ROFL]

That was one silky-smooth pun Bob.

SillyMe
Member # 6395

Yeah, maybe the one with de tassel.

(Do you have to be from Iowa to get that one?) [Dont Know]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SillyMe
Member # 6395

Oops, I'm slow.

I meant the VEST with de tassel............

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.