FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blayne! Go away! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Blayne! Go away!
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Software copying isn't a "so what?" issue, for a lot of reasons. As someone who's made money from software development and sales, I can tell you that it is a serious issue that affects the livelihood of a lot of people.

It's precisely the "so what?" attitude that many people find incredibly disturbing, and not just because it's about software copying. "So what?" in many areas is a serious problem.

On this point, we agree. My previous post did little to address my feelings on the issue of software piracy. If this thread were solely a discussion of software piracy, then I would've posted something along the lines of Dagonee's post. But this thread encompasses something more serious than software piracy.

It started out as an uncalled-for attack (with a justifiable premise, but inappropriate on a public forum) on one of our members, followed by more and more insults being heaped upon this person by our fellow citizens of Hatrack. When you add into the mix a total lack of understanding of depresssion and low self-esteem, an issue that I am closely connected to, I had to respond, not necessarily in defense of Blayne's attitude concerning piracy, but in defense of the decorum that makes me continue to visit and love Hatrack, albeit mostly as a lurker.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I should've stopped this thread long ago. I apologize for not doing so. I let it go because there still seemed a hope of some reconciliation, and there was interspersed a fairly legitimate discussion of copyright, but that was a mistake. The original argument does not belong here (nor do several of the later comments).

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.