FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Burger King's Response to American Health Crisis (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Burger King's Response to American Health Crisis
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How many of you have deep fryers at home?
*raises hand*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? Shameful!

As for the tallow thing, I'm fairly sure that McDonalds stopped using primarily tallow based stuff in 1990, but they still used it until 2002 to flavor their products, when they were sued by Hindus and vegetarians, who won, and McDonalds stopped using it entirely.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You could cut it off a piece of steak and melt it. Tallow is rendered beef fat.
Yes, I know. I'm not getting enough pure rendered fat to make french fries off of a steak, however, or even an economy pack of steaks. Nor am I going to a grocery store and buying a coffee-can sized bucket-o-tallow. My point was that fast food restaurants endure in food processing methods that are worse for the health of their consumers than if they created similar foods at home.

Though, as has been pointed out, it's been some time since McDonalds has actually used tallow for frying (albeit, not necessarily the case for flavoring.) Still, the amount of processing that goes into making many fast foods easy to prepare and flavorful is somewhat horrifying.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Quite frankly, I think everyone here would stop eating ranch dressing if they had to make a batch of it. ::shudders:: I didn't eat ranch for a month after I had to make it at work once.

Ah, but home-made ranch is far superior to any other kind. I actually eat far more ranch if I've made it myself than if it had been bought.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, while I guess it's technically home-made, in the sense that it's all made from scratch, when you make it in the prep kitchen of a restaurant, it's nothing but gross.

It might encourage more people to make a healthier home made version, and thus end the appeal of restaurant served ranch.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.