FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Burger King's Response to American Health Crisis (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Burger King's Response to American Health Crisis
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
Maybe we should just tax cows...

Or the grass/hay upon which they feed.

Tax the cows food in order to indirectly tax the burgers we eat.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
If they stop eating fast food you won't need the extra money from the taxes.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Cows eat a lot of corn, which currently have a negative tax on them due to government subsidation.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Possibly, but you still need to figure out what your goal is -- decrease the amount of fast food eaten, or raise money?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Tax beef and donate the money to jobless, hippy, pot smoking vegans. Nothing would discourage me from eating fast food more.

No offence intended to the jobless, Pot Smokers, Hippies, or Vegans, just combinations of all 4.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
If its both then we have the solution don't we?
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
If its both then we have the solution don't we?
No you don't. You've got nothing. You can't really accomplish both with the same sin tax.

quote:
Tax beef and donate the money to jobless, hippy, pot smoking vegans.
Gimme a porkburger!
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
I see, thanks. One of the big things to be careful with would be to administer it in such a way that the overhead is minimized and most of the revenue goes straight to health care & where it's supposed to.

Wait -- which do you want to do with this law: raise money for health care costs or dissuade people from eating unhealthy foods? Those two are mutually exclusive goals.

If you want to raise money, you'll add low enough taxes so that it won't stop too many people from eating unhealthy food, because if they stop eating it, they'll stop paying the taxes.

The goal would be to basically use a tax on fast food (and perhaps junk food in the supermarket as well) to offset the additional burden that obesity places on America's healthcare system.

You're right, as less people eat unhealthy, the tax collected would be less. However, there would be less money needed to offset obesity related health costs. So this is ok.

If people eat more unhealthy foods, then more tax will be collected to offset the additional health problems inherent with that.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
You're right, as less people eat unhealthy, the tax collected would be less. However, there would be less money needed to offset obesity related health costs. So this is ok.

If people eat more unhealthy foods, then more tax will be collected to offset the additional health problems inherent with that.

So which is your goal?
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted by pH:
I wanna try it because I only like my burgers to be meat, cheese, and ketchup. And it's really annoying when fast food places dump all that crap on top of them. Fast food lettuce is nasty.

Oh man, I hear you about the lettuce. Probably the most appetizing thing ever is when I order a chicken sammich and, due to some horrible reaction of heat and mayo, I can see straight through the lettuce.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused as to why Burger King would be catching any particular flak over this considering if nothing else this:
Wendys has had the double quarter pounder as a mainstream item for years, has had the triple on the menu and has an easy option to make it a quadruple by "doubling the meat" (really just adding another patty)

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
mph-
I don't think I'm understanding what you're getting at. I understand that they may seem to be contradictory, but they're really not. I would consider the program a success if the costs of obesity to our healthcare system are completely recouped by the tax. That's my goal.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
mph-
I don't think I'm understanding what you're getting at. I understand that they may seem to be contradictory, but they're really not. I would consider the program a success if the costs of obesity to our healthcare system are completely recouped by the tax. That's my goal.

But how do you want to mainly accomplish that -- by raising enough money for health costs or by decreasing obesity?

They might be interchangable to you, as each one is merely an intermediate goal, but they are very different goals, with different justifications.

To some, one might be an acceptable goal but the other not.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

I would say that they are different means to the same end.

Thinking about it, I guess my intermediate goal is to raise the money to offset obesity related health costs-not to decrease obesity. However, that being said, I believe a reduction in obesity is a likely side effect of this main goal due to the negative individual economic consequences.

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, the thing is (as long as you balance things right):
as obesity is decreased so is the cost of obesity to the health care system and so is the tax raised.

So the short term is that obesity funds itself, but the long term is that as people are driven away from obesity they cease to fund it and it ceases to need funds.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I would say that they are different means to the same end.
I know. That's what I just said.

It is important which means you use.

quote:
Thinking about it, I guess my intermediate goal is to raise the money to offset obesity related health costs-not to decrease obesity. However, that being said, I believe a reduction in obesity is a likely side effect of this main goal due to the negative individual economic consequences.
Are you planning on changing the amount of the sin tax over time?
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Ah..I didn't see your last line when I started my last post. I think I see what you are getting at. No my goal is not to make people not fat. If that were the case then my idea would be an outright ban of unhealthy foods, not simply an extra tax.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
So the short term is that obesity funds itself, but the long term is that as people are driven away from obesity they cease to fund it and it ceases to need funds.
I don't think you can succeed at this unless you start the tax out relatively low, and then increase it over time.
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Meh. This is child's play. At Rutgers University they have the Grease Trucks, and their signature "Fat" sandwiches. In fact, the "Fat Darrell" won Maxim's 'best sandwich in the country' accolades.
Those are good... almost worth going to New Brunswick for. Almost.

The Fat Derrell has chicken fingers, marinara and french fries, right?

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Every time I go to a fair, I hope that they have deep fried twinkies. So far, no luck.
Come to Louisiana in the last week of April. My friends and I work the food booth for the parish fair for my grade school. We get bored and batter and deep fry everything around. Twinkies, snickers bars, slices of pizza, burritos, etc.

Be warned that the center of the twinky turns to molten lava.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stasia
Member # 9122

- posted      Profile for Stasia   Email Stasia         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even know deep fried twinkies existed. Now I really really want one.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Deep fried Mars bars are better. Mmmm.... crunchy on the outside, gooey on the inside. Just the thing after a night in Scotland drinking scotch and pints.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Deep fried Mars bars are better. Mmmm.... crunchy on the outside, gooey on the inside. Just the thing after a night in Scotland drinking scotch and pints.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to let you all know that the whopper I had today after dinner is entirely YOUR fault. I couldn't stand reading this thread and not eating one. I'm in a tricky spot here when it comes to fast food. I've been trying extremely hard to gain weight for the past few years of my life. I'm 5'10, 16 years old, and weigh 135. And I'm very athletic so alot of that is muscle (at least it used to be). So I'm very skinny. And I hate it. I've been eating a decent amount of fast food for the past year or so, most of which came from Taco Bell. But I do not gain weight. No matter what. Drives me crazy. All I want is 10 pounds. My metabolism is way too fast and I have ADD so I also move around way too much during the day, so that doesn't help.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't I have YOUR metabolism? I'm trying to LOSE weight. If I even eat a cookie it's stuck on my stomach and other places. It's why i can never eat fast food again.

Except for take out chinese food.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reminded of a comedian I once saw perform:

"I'm on the Atkins diet now. Eat nothing but meat and cheese. I'm sure to lose weight... If I can ever take a %#@&!..."

I just don't eat hamburgers that much anymore, let alone monstrosities like BK's latest offering. My digestive system rebels.

I'll admit to a mean (possibly nostalgic) jones for Taco Bell now and again, though.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I don't think it's the government's responsiblity to make sure people don't eat fast food.

Again, they can eat just as horribly at home. Are we going to start having the Food Police? "Put down the cupcake and back away slowly!"

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Thankfully, I don't think anyone in this thread has said that is their stated goal.
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Again, I don't think it's the government's responsiblity to make sure people don't eat fast food.

Again, they can eat just as horribly at home. Are we going to start having the Food Police? "Put down the cupcake and back away slowly!"

-pH

And thus a new reality TV show is born. We should probably tax television as well. Doing so fights obesity and weans people off the idiot box at the same time.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. My indulgence in the Angus burger isn't healthy. 560 Calories (200 from fat), 22g of fat (8 Saturated fat, 1.5 transfat), and 13g of sugar.

Tastes good, though. [Wink]

( I only eat out once or twice a week, and more frequently, I eat a sub sandwich, which usually proves more nutritious than the Angus burger from Burger King.)

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Thankfully, I don't think anyone in this thread has said that is their stated goal.

"Discourage people from eating fast food" is pretty close.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Avatar300:
And thus a new reality TV show is born. We should probably tax television as well. Doing so fights obesity and weans people off the idiot box at the same time.

In that case, let's tax the Internets. And books. Books keep people from exercising sometimes, too!

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Then we should subsidize Playboys, as those encourage exercise.

...er, I've heard.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
How, exactly, would we define the difference between healthy food and fast food, in order to tax one and not the other? I'm not sure there is any agreement on what is classified as "healthy" and it almost certainly varies from person to person. A tax high enough to seriously deter people from eating unhealthy foods would seriously harm ice cream parlors, bakeries, local diners, etc., in addition to big fast food chains. And it would almost certainly tax the poor far more heavily than the rich.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:

"Discourage people from eating fast food" is pretty close.

-pH

Again, this isn't the goal of the tax. The goal would be to offset the costs to Medicare, Medicaid, health care infrastructure, etc caused by obesity. MPH was quite patient in helping to define this as the goal of the plan.

They could eat themselves in to quadruple bypass territory for all I care...as long as they're not a burden to the healthcare system in doing so.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

So the purpose of this tax is to extract money from people who eat food that is bad for them.

I'm not terribly trilled about taking a group of people with serous problems (people who eat a lot of junk food and who are more likely to have health problems like diabetes, obesity, heart conditions, etc.) and giving them one more problem by increasing their taxes.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I'd think one of the goals of a tax like this would be to decrease the occurences or severity of some of those other problems you mentioned.

So called 'sin taxes' pretty much always add that problem (increased taxes) to the list.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Yet we already do it with alcoholics and tobacco addict mph. Why not that?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I'd think one of the goals of a tax like this would be to decrease the occurences or severity of some of those other problems you mentioned.
Bao specifically said that this wasn't a goal.

As I said before, you can either design the tax to raise money, to decrease usage, or to do neither well.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:

So called 'sin taxes' pretty much always add that problem (increased taxes) to the list.

I think that will be a positive side effect El JT de Spang...but I'd be uncomfortable making it the purpose of the plan.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Just because decreasing usage isn't the sole, or even primary, goal doesn't mean it won't be a side-effect.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
As I said before, you can either design the tax to raise money, to decrease usage, or to do neither well.

I'm curious why you say this...

Even if reducing the occurance of obesity is not the goal of this, but only to raise money to cause obesity to be less of a drain on the health-care system, there still is the potential of more or less equal monetary value between someone paying the tax and someone ceasing to be obese.

For example: say that on average if someone eats X amount on fast food (or whatever else you want to tax) they make health care go up $5. So, you set up the tax such that eating X amount of fast food costs you $5 more (or say $6 to account for bureaucratic costs). The net impact is in principle $0 to the health care costs.

Now say instead that the person doesn't want to pay that $6 and instead decides to eat healthier and as a result does not end up obese, and does not impact the health-care system. the net impact is still $0.

Now of course this assumes that cutting all fast food out of said person's diet is enough to remove their obesity-related health problems, but the basic concept seems fairly sound to me.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait -- which do you want to do with this law: raise money for health care costs or dissuade people from eating unhealthy foods? Those two are mutually exclusive goals.

If you want to raise money, you'll add low enough taxes so that it won't stop too many people from eating unhealthy food, because if they stop eating it, they'll stop paying the taxes. [/QB]

You've got the goal mixed up. The goal of such a tax would be to reduce the amount "healthy eaters" pay to cover the health care costs associated with unhealthy foods. So it doesn't matter whether the tax raises alot of money for health care or dissuades people from eating unhealthy foods. Either end acheives the real objective.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

-pH

I'm not sure that's entirely true, regarding people's ability to eat worse at home.

No doubt, people can slather everything with Velveeta and fry it up in bacon grease if they really try.

But fast-food often seems to take processing to ridiculous extremes. Fast food is often designed by what amounts to chemists. It generally needs to be storable indefinitely prior to being cooked and served to a customer. It needs to be possible to process into an edible form without error by a high-school drop-out with minimal training. And following the process, it needs to taste good enough that customers will willingly come back and consume more.

My sister read a section of a book to me a while back that noted among the myraid ingredients of a Chicken Mcnugget is a carcinogenic anti-foaming agent. And unless they've finally changed it, McDonalds french fries are still cooked in tallow.

I don't even know where I'd *get* tallow, if I wanted to do that to myself...

If I make a hamburger at home, it will undoubtedly be more of an indulgent than a healthful experience, complete with a big slice of Tilamook cheddar on top. But it probably won't contain the levels of salt, flavoring, and miscelaneous chemicals that its fast-food brethren would.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't even know where I'd *get* tallow, if I wanted to do that to myself...
You could cut it off a piece of steak and melt it. Tallow is rendered beef fat.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
McDonalds french fries are still cooked in tallow.
They changed that over two decades ago.
c.t.t.n.
Member # 9509

- posted      Profile for c.t.t.n.   Email c.t.t.n.         Edit/Delete Post 
no, m_p_h. Try about 13 years.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Either way, can we agree that it's been a while since McD's fried their fries in tallow?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people when they cook burgers at home either use a grill, where the grease and fat cooks off, or something like a Foreman grill, where it collects in a tray.

How many of you have deep fryers at home?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by c.t.t.n.:
[QB] no, m_p_h. Try about 13 years.

Do you have a reference for that?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.