FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Letter From Hell(this makes me sick) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Letter From Hell(this makes me sick)
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, because I was translating it to the modern day streets, picking a couple of generic characters whom I might encounter on my daily commute.

edit: that is to say, "do encounter from time to time."

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I found this from Occasional's link:
quote:
And, let me tell you right now that I think Joseph Smith was either a lunatic or a liar
Amusing ironic reference of the Trilemma [Smile]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Blackblade, do you know any alcoholics? Just curious.

JM, If it makes no difference in the parable as told, why are we embellishing it with him being drunken?

Yes I do. I also know what it's like to have an addiction.

Curiosity satisfied?

edit: That last bit is a bit impish, I don't mean it to be.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Thanks for the elucidation. [Big Grin]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Okay. Thanks for the elucidation. [Big Grin]

Hey I like to be as lucid as possible. [Smile]

Jin-me: TBH we probably are not arguing anymore, but I don't really see the distinction.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
The point I was trying to make was that we are called to care for the poor regardless of the reasons people are poor. The gospel doesn't have an "if they deserve it" clause. We are not asked to judge the worthiness of the poor, just to help them. Even if we think that their poverty is their own fault.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.