FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Letter From Hell(this makes me sick) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Letter From Hell(this makes me sick)
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
A Letter from Hell

I was disgusted watching this. And quite angry at the thought of a young kid watching something like this and being absolutely terrified.

What an evil marketing tactic. Does this bother religious folk as much as me? Aren't there better ways of spreading the notion of sharing your faith with those around you?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
God apparently does not have a very high bandwidth on his tube website.

edit: I also think the answer to your last question is obvious.

[ January 25, 2008, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... very deep.
But so true. Makes me glad I'm not going to hell.
I would be terrified if I thought I was.
To answer your question, no it doesn't bother me because it is the truth. Hell is real.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd like to think it would be obvious, BB, but aparently not.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
It seemed a little contrived. I don't think most people would take that seriously.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
You'd like to think it would be obvious, BB, but aparently not.

just wanted to say, I don't mean to imply that I think this is the norm. I know there are better ways and I'm sure many good people are engaging in those methods.

The line in the description about this "not being a scare tactic" got me. What exactly is it then?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
So is this less or more dispicable than anything the Church of Scientology could cook up?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
It seemed a little contrived. I don't think most people would take that seriously.

Unfortunately it, and other videos like it, are generally aimed at children. Depending on their age, I think they would take it quite seriously.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually wanted to laugh. Talk about over dramatic. What is more disturbing is less the presentation than the militant message. If you don't force your religion down people's throats then they are going to torment you. Better to torment them with your Christianity now then they torment you later.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
The line in the description about this "not being a scare tactic" got me. What exactly is it then?

It's being put out there, I would wager, by the same kind of people who insist to me that the whole idea of 'Hell' is somehow not a threat.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, if it's aimed at children, I would have more of a problem with the parents of that child then with the makers of this video.

*** Edited to Add***

By that, I mean parents who would want their child to watch that video. Unless, they're like my parents, who would rate the video quite high and let me watch it if I needed a laugh.

But, parents who think it's an appropriate education tool for young christian children rank somewhat close to abusive parents. I can't see how this film would every be good for anything but a laugh.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

What’s the big deal? Christians believe in hell. They believe to avoid hell you have to believe in Jesus. That’s pretty universal in Christianity. Even the bible has a story about the rich man in hell being tortured and asking for a drop of water and then begging for Lazarus to be sent to his family to warn them. Pretty much the same sort of story. Just a bit of a modern twist and more detail. Are you saying they shouldn’t share what they believe to be true? And for the most part I think this message is meant for believers. Saying that if you don’t witness to your friends, this is what can happen to them. Maybe some of you need to think about that message.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know people aren't responsible for their own actions and choices.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
Even the bible has a story about the rich man in hell being tortured and asking for a drop of water and then begging for Lazarus to be sent to his family to warn them.

And as I recall, Abraham tells him no because the prophets are supposed to be enough for them to believe. Which is pretty arrogant, coming from a man who is supposed to have spoken to god personally.

We're against it, Jay, because it's an shameless scare tactic. It's like holding a gun to someone's head and saying 'convert or die'. Some of us know that the gun isn't loaded. But the person who has it at their temple might not be aware of that.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, a video Chick Tract.

Apparently the parts of the Bible that say Works will not get you saved, but faith and belief will, are only true if by faith it means faith to convert others.

Apparently that sinners don't dwell on the sins that brought them to hell, but dwell on the fact that some Christian didn't offer them salvation in a timely fashion.

Apparently even though others brought up Christianity several times during just one day in the damned boys life, the fact that another Christian didn't join in on the conversation is enough to cause that sinner to go to hell. Its not the sinners fault, but the faithful.

And of course, you do realize that if that an identical video with an identical plea from Hell could be made from an Islamic point of view. Why didn't your martyr yourself so that I would become a Muslim and not have to be in Hell?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Jay, honesty, not telling lies, is an important part of Christianity too. So when a Christian Web-site has a Scarey Video designed to Scare believers into trying harder to witness to their friends, coworkers, and even "unknown little girls playing in the street." then highlights the idea that this is NOT a scare tactic, honesty seems to be missing.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
Maybe some of you need to think about that message.
Why?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

So you want to point out where he says it’s not a scare tactic but ignore the part where he said it’s intended for believers?
Ok, glad I know the rules now……
By the way, for believers it’s not a scare tactic, but something think about.

Javert, Abraham then goes on to say that they wouldn’t believe even if one rises from the dead. Hummm… sounds familiar.

Why think about the message? Well, if you’re a believer and not worried about your friends going to hell that’s probably not very nice.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The idea that God would condemn people to eternal torment because of what some one else failed to do, belies the idea that God is either just or merciful.

If this is what as Jay says "all Christians believe", then I'm glad they don't consider me and mine "Christians".

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Oh, nice. Okay.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow, I had to turn that off after about 5 seconds.

How'd they get the voice talent not to crack up reading that script?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Now now, I specifically avoided the word “all”.
I said “pretty universal”.
I do know there are groups that have other believes, but are still Christian.
And it was not because of what someone else failed to do, but because of what they failed to do.
I really think you’re not getting the point of this being meant for believers to encourage them to witness. When you look at it that way it makes more sense.

TL
Member # 8124

quote:
I really think you’re not getting the point of this being meant for believers to encourage them to witness. When you look at it that way it makes more sense.
Maybe you're not getting that we -are- getting that.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really think you’re not getting the point of this being meant for believers to encourage them to witness.
That was, after all, the approach Jesus used and encouraged. "Go forth and terrify your fellow man into renewed faith."
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Javert, Abraham then goes on to say that they wouldn’t believe even if one rises from the dead. Hummm… sounds familiar.
Yeah. It's a lie many fundamentalists say all the time. So of course it's familiar.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
What’s the big deal? Christians believe in hell. They believe to avoid hell you have to believe in Jesus.

Some. Christians. Whole swaths of us do not believe this at all. Some of us find it offensive.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Wow, a video Chick Tract.

That's exactly what it is. Gag me.

Though it does explain a lot about why some Christians (thankfully few) act as appallingly as they do.

It makes me understand atheists, I'll tell you that. Mark Twain's "malign thug" is a charitable description of a deity who would order permanent torture for someone who didn't agree to becoming a Christian. Very charitable.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
James 2:19
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Sorry, it just seemed strangely relevant.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And it was not because of what someone else failed to do, but because of what they failed to do.
That certainly wasn't the message in the video. The video quite explicitly said, "Your friend is in Hell because you didn't witness to him".

I'm with kmboots on this one, I find the whole idea that if you don't accept Jesus before you die you will suffer eternal torment to be highly offensive.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Javert,

quote:
Yeah. It's a lie many fundamentalists say all the time. So of course it's familiar.
Is it necessary to become so antagonistic?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Javert,

quote:
Is it necessary to become so antagonistic?
In response to antagonism, yes. That being said, all I did was say what I believe to be an honest assessment of Jay's claim.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Come now Javert, you know just as well as I do that honesty and antagonism aren't mutually exclusive.

Nor must antagonism always be met with antagonism either. Or do you imagine anyone's mind will be changed, on this topic, by it? By being antagonistic you're just preaching to the choir, no pun intended.

Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Come now Javert, you know just as well as I do that honesty and antagonism aren't mutually exclusive.

Nor must antagonism always be met with antagonism either. Or do you imagine anyone's mind will be changed, on this topic, by it? By being antagonistic you're just preaching to the choir, no pun intended.

I have no desire to change anyone's mind, Rakeesh. I was responding to an arrogant comment. If I came off as antagonistic, it was because I was responding to someone being arrogant and intending to insult.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I have no desire to change anyone's mind, Rakeesh.
Can I quote you on that later? [Smile]
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
quote:
I have no desire to change anyone's mind, Rakeesh.
Can I quote you on that later? [Smile]
Of course.

That doesn't mean I won't defend my positions, or argue with others about their own beliefs.

I just don't care if by doing so I convert anyone. No one goes to hell for not being an atheist. [Smile]

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still trying to figure out how the kid wrote a letter on a piece of paper that wasn't consumed by the flames of eternal torment. Must have been refractory paper.

quote:
It makes me understand atheists, I'll tell you that. Mark Twain's "malign thug" is a charitable description of a deity who would order permanent torture for someone who didn't agree to becoming a Christian. Very charitable.
Umm, atheists don't believe in a malign thug. We don't believe in any gods at all.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I didn't say anything about converting, just about changing one's mind on a small subject. Two totally different things.

Yes, no one goes to hell for not being an atheist; some, according to some atheists, live stupid lives of pointless mysticism for not being atheists, though.

Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Yes, no one goes to hell for not being an atheist; some, according to some atheists, live stupid lives of pointless mysticism for not being atheists, though.

The difference is that atheists don't believe that a being outside those people causes those lives to be that way, and then worship that being for doing so.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
That video reminds me of the "Hell Houses" that many churches put up around Halloween.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Jay, we know that its directed at believers.

Its still uses SCARE Tactics that is specifically claims its not using.

It isn't trying to scare anyone into converting. It tries to scare them into converting others.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
The difference is that atheists don't believe that a being outside those people causes those lives to be that way, and then worship that being for doing so.

Say What?
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

Say What?
Rakeesh was trying to compare atheists who think that certain believers are wasting their lives with believers who believe that atheists and other non-believers are going to hell.

I was trying to express the difference between the two.

dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I'm still trying to figure out how the kid wrote a letter on a piece of paper that wasn't consumed by the flames of eternal torment. Must have been refractory paper.

quote:
Umm, atheists don't believe in a malign thug. We don't believe in any gods at all.
Glenn she was saying that if you see the Christian God as a malign thug (as Mark Twain did), you probably wouldn't worship him either and would be an atheist.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

Say What?
Rakeesh was trying to compare atheists who think that certain believers are wasting their lives with believers who believe that atheists and other non-believers are going to hell.

I was trying to express the difference between the two.

That much I understood the first time around, it was your very awkward wording of "a being outside those people" that had me perplexed.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

quote:
Scuze. "Hypothetical malign thug".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Glenn she was saying that if you see the Christian God as a malign thug (as Mark Twain did), you probably wouldn't worship him either and would be an atheist.
I understand that. But being an atheist doesn't mean that you believe in a god and fail to worship him, it means that you don't believe in the god in the first place.

It's a common fallacy, and notably attributed to C.S. Lewis, who claimed that he was an atheist, but his descriptions of atheism are all based on being angry at god.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
Scuze. "Hypothetical malign thug".
That works.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Do Christians really believe the part that when you die that you will wait on line to give your name and then an angel will take you to hell if you didn't believe in Jesus?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how the kid wrote a letter ...

I'm more impressed with the US Postal Service which had to pick up the thing.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Ha! What a delightfully deliberate misinterpretation of what theists believe, Javert. Nicely done!

Or do you actually believe that theists think God makes their lives stupidly mystical and worships Him for it?

Maybe we should get back to talking about how rotten fundies are, though.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.