FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Netflix streaming recommendation (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Netflix streaming recommendation
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Its not streaming, but I just watched the first disc of Supernatural and put the entirety of the released series on my que at the top of the list. Episodic scifi\paranormal without gratuitous sexuality (Charmed) and super clean-cut story-line and sets (Sanctuary) Im actually happy that I ignored the show until now, now I get to shotgun five seasons of entertainment.

And, as the youngest of three boys I enjoy the banter shared so far by the sibling protagonists. Towards the end of the pilot they announce the emotional tone one should expect from the heroes with a bit dialogue, I am paraphrasing but its close.

"(dramatically) Hey, about what I said about Mom earlier... Im--"
"Whoa. No chick-flick moments"
"(amused) Jerk."
"B####"

Like I said, I am the youngest of three brothers and appreciate art reflecting life.

Yeah Supernatural is a gem. It has ups and downs but out of 6 seasons so far I can only think of 2 or 3 episodes that I didn't like and none that I outright disliked.

I recently watched the Patrick Stewart version of "Lion in Winter" It was fantastic.

Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching a few different series, including American Dad, Fullmetal Alchemist, Trigun, and Stargate Universe. For movies, I just watched Outbreak, Just Cause, and Batman: Under the Red Hood.

It depend what you like, but Trigun was amazing. It's an anime with only 26 episodes, but it tells an entire story from beginning to end. I'd check it out (takes a few episodes to get going). Definitely worth it. Fullmetal Alchemist is another anime worth watching.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my brother addicted Supernatural, he likes it more than I do. Interesting little thing, Jensen Ackles voiced Red Hood in that animated movie.

I really enjoyed the first two volumes of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and am waiting for the rest to stream.

There are now 126 episodes of Monk now streaming.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
quote:
Originally posted by Sa'eed:
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
Downton Abbey!

Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Firefly
Lots and lots of MST3K
Lots and lots of Eddie Izzard (because there's a f**king "H" in it!)
Dexter
Money Python's Flying Circus

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Law Abiding Citizen is goooood.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough the scariest part of Law Abiding Citizen was for me was the court room scene, not the criminals and murder but the part that could concievably happen.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Three words "Kids love me."
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Netflix has Lost, which I hadn't seen since season 2 because I got tired of the cliffhanger merry-go-round. Last week my wife & son left town, and I figured since I had the house to myself and the series was over, I'd see whatever happened on the island.

I wanted to finish before everyone got back, so I really cranked through it. I watched the final episode last night, immediately before I went to sleep. It was fun, but I got completely burned out. By the end, I just wanted it to be over.

So today I got home from work, finally unencumbered by my Lost marathon, and I thought I'd see what showed up on my DVR during my lost week (pun intended). I saw an episode of Community, which seemed like a perfect way to cleanse my palate.

And what do you suppose they did to me? Those dirty bastards.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
omg community! That show rocks. I wish they had it on Netflix...
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Iron Man: Exremis is great.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Selran:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sa'eed:
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
Downton Abbey!

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Netflix has Lost, which I hadn't seen since season 2 because I got tired of the cliffhanger merry-go-round. Last week my wife & son left town, and I figured since I had the house to myself and the series was over, I'd see whatever happened on the island.

I wanted to finish before everyone got back, so I really cranked through it. I watched the final episode last night, immediately before I went to sleep. It was fun, but I got completely burned out. By the end, I just wanted it to be over.

So today I got home from work, finally unencumbered by my Lost marathon, and I thought I'd see what showed up on my DVR during my lost week (pun intended). I saw an episode of Community, which seemed like a perfect way to cleanse my palate.

And what do you suppose they did to me? Those dirty bastards.

Haha yeah. My sister is in love with Josh Halloway. She loves him so much that she gave my brand new little nephew the middle name Sawyer.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Well, I've heard plenty of dumber middle names. [Smile]

I wouldn't say I'm in love with him, but I am a fan. When I started watching Lost he annoyed me. At first he kind of comes across as sort of a soap opera pretty boy. But it didn't take long for me to realize that he had most of the best lines in that whole series.

Of course the writers get credit for the lines, but they must have loved writing for Sawyer. Not only was he a fascinating character, but Holloway sold that material brilliantly. Often when the show would get buried in melodrama and mythology, Sawyer could walk into a scene and make it fun to watch again.

It was cool seeing him in Community. I hope he shows up in some other places now that Lost is done.

EDIT: I just skimmed his IMDB profile, then confirmed it with my DVD collection: Sawyer is the leader of the very first gang of vamps ever to be dusted on Angel. Right there in the pre-credits sequence of episode 1. I never would have guessed it.

[ May 15, 2011, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
The first season of Archer is streaming, and it's hilarious.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Action fans should recognize the name Tony Jaa, and if you have seen a singe Jaa film you know his friend Petchai Wongkamlao. Wongkamlao stars in The Bodyguard, a humorous action movie that had my brother and I cackling like idiots as he wire-fought his way through scenes that would do Rambo proud only to move into dialogue that got more laughs from me than the Naked Gun films ever did. It is currently streaming, and there is a sequal already out that I have yet to see but greatly anticipate.

Trailer, nsfw

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The BBC's excellent Sherlock is now available for Netflix streaming!

I love that show so much! The middle episode, which annoys me and is less satisfying than the other two, is still better than most of what we get on American television. (My favorite episode was the third, though I might have liked the first better if I had been less familiar with the source material.)

They've just started filming the second series today. This is the commitment that the entire Hobbit filming schedule had to be arranged around in order for them to get Martin Freeman as Bilbo.

The show is phenomenal. Though I'm almost certain the second series can't live up to the potential of the first, I'll be there to see it.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
A few new or I hadn't discovered before:
Dark Shadows
Macgyver
Mission Impossible
Twilight Zone

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
The BBC's excellent Sherlock is now available for Netflix streaming!

I love that show so much! The middle episode, which annoys me and is less satisfying than the other two, is still better than most of what we get on American television. (My favorite episode was the third, though I might have liked the first better if I had been less familiar with the source material.)

I watched this a few months ago after reading you and Narnia discussing it on FB. I completely agree, fabulous show.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw Marwencol. Probably one of the top 5 documentaries I've ever seen. Trailer here: http://www.marwencol.com/
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Salt. It was preposterous and full of gaping plot holes but it was watchable.

Currently reviewing Babylon 5 (saw the whole series about six years ago, I am surprised by how much of it I've forgotten and how the serious becomes so good starting with the second season.)

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching Sports Night by Aaron Sorkin. This show is so stinking good. I've never seen a 22 minute show be able to weave great humor, genuine drama, and be able to ask some real ethical questions like this before.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching WWII in HD, it's a very gorgeous and well exectued narrative for the entire conflict.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I'm not usually a sports guy, but I just watched When We Were Kings, and that is an amazing documentary.

It's a true story with a narrative so tight it couldn't possibly have been scripted any better, with characters more outsized and iconic than anything the Coen Brothers have ever invented. The material is so good you almost couldn't ruin it, but it's still gratifying to see the immense care and skill that went into making the film. The best boxing movie I've ever seen--and yes, I have seen Raging Bull, The Fighter and Rocky.

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched my first episode of Torchwood! Very cool. In fact, if this first episode is a good indicator, I may end up liking this - dare I say it - more than Doctor Who.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I find I can no longer watch sports movies when I really dislike the sport in question. Which makes me wish I saw Raging Bull before that happened. Perhaps I'll change back to being able to enjoy them again. I really hate boxing, and I've found that watching movies about boxers just makes me wish they would get out of the sport. It's too bad because it seems almost all the movies about sports that are also supposed to be Oscar-bait type movies (which I mostly enjoy) are boxing. Bleh.

I feel like Netflix has had a pretty big up-tick in the quality of their streaming media over the last 6-9 months.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

More shows to watch, shows to catch up on, but the bad part is this: Netflix is reportedly the highest user of bandwidth in the U.S. And in my household with DSL and 1-3 computers online at any given time, we experience quite a few interruptions.

Pros: I love being able to choose what to watch when and catch up on whole seasons of shows I love or haven't seen before. It's better to watch on the TV so my family can watch together (although I should be able to hook up my TV and a computer to watch shows I have purchased through Amazon.com with Amazon Unbox but haven't figured it out yet).

Cons: Bandwidth issues and interruptions. It can get annoying having to go back and start another episode after one ends, instead of just letting it go (which doesn't apply on the PC, IIRC). And they don't have the most recent shows until that season has ended (despite that fact that it says they have Doctor Who season six). (But I can usually find the recent shows online on the network or cable company website.)

But on the other hand, I just watched episode 1 of The Tick. ;-)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The bandwidth thing mentioned in the article isn't as dramatic as it sounds. Almost all of netflix's bandwidth is last-mile bandwidth, which is plentiful. Netflix uses hardly any bandwidth at the parts of the internet with bottlenecks.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

But it requires a lot of bandwidth at my house - even when nobody is using a PC we can get interruptions.
fugu13
Member # 2859

That likely has less to do with the amount of bandwidth and more to do with the variability of your connection, especially if you have DSL. Netflix will attempt to use all of the available bandwidth it feasibly can, to give the highest picture quality (up to whatever the max is for what it is streaming). If the available bandwidth suddenly drops, it will need to rebuffer. This is true whether you have 1.5 Gbps or 8 Gbps.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

It seems to do it at any time, no matter what anyone else is doing online. It has happened with three computers online and with one computer online that isn't active (my older daughter leaves her laptop on and connected all the time).
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yes, it doesn't have anything to do with your usage (which streaming algorithms can easily notice and work around unless it changes with dramatic suddenness). It has to do with the flakiness of the connection itself.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

OK.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
We've been watching Farscape. I had forgotten how much I love that show. *happy sigh*

If you're having trouble with streaming, you might call Netflix support. They are awesome, knowledgeable and helpful. They diagnosed a problem with one of my friend's internet service that several representatives of that service had failed to recognize. It was quite astonishing, to call customer service and get something actually resembling service to a customer. They were pleasant and surprisingly knowledgeable when I called them as well.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Olivet: that is something that honestly never occurred to me. I just figured it was having too much going on online (despite the fact it sometimes happens when nothing is going on). I'll have to try that when I have time.
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

"My Man Godfrey" starring William Powell and Carol Lombard.

I have hundreds of films in my netflix queue but am always indecisive about what to watch in the rare time I do want to watch something. On a Sunday evening couple of weeks ago, I was driving and listening to an NPR station which airs classic radio programs in the Sunday evening timeslot. They decided to air an episode of a program that was called "Academy Award" which presented (as wiki tells me) adaptations of films, books and plays. The episode that began airing on my drive was an adaptation of the classic film "My Man Godfrey." Having no idea that I had previously put this film in my queue, I became so intrigued by the beginning of the program that I made a mental note of the source's title and changed the station lest the film got spoiled for me.

Finally saw the film a couple of nights ago. I loved every minute of it! Classic screwball comedy with an endearing heart. I liked William Powell's performance so much that now I actually want to watch those Thin Man films which he also stars in!

Carol Lombard is also wonderful in it. Unfortunately she's another Hollywood talent who died too young.

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Goemon is a pretty cool Japanese action and intrigue flick, dubbed in english with some recognizable voice actors if you are an anime fan. Its set in a stylized pre-modern Japan with cg backgrounds, it was done much better than that makes it sound. They play with a couple of classic western tales, robin hood and sparticus are the most obvious and supposedly the whole story is based on an old Japanese story.

I like Goemon so much that I didnt even wait until the movie was over to suggest it, I am still watching as I type this. The cg to set work is examplary, way better than Sucker Punch in fact I wish I had rather saw this in theaters that day.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I wathed like 15 minutes, and was so turned off by the voice acting and the style I knocked it off my instant queue without a second thought.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Im rewatching Ink, such a great movie.
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

Just realized that I've had the same Netflix disc since early April. I have a 1 disc at a time plan plus blue ray access so I end up paying $12.5 a month. Still, even though the selection of only DVD material is still slightly better than what we can watch through instant watch, having grown accustomed to IW, the whole DVD thing (putting in the player, shipping it back, throwing away the red envelopes) now seems like such a hassle.

A couple of days ago I saw a 1996 French film called Ridicule which piqued my interest after reading this blog post. It's about a French lord who needs money to drain a disease infested swamp that's killing his subjects, so he goes to Versailles (film takes place a few years before the French revolution) to ask for money but has to play a game of wits with the aristocracy there. In Versailles, wit is valued above all else and is a deadly weapon, and the people there have made a game of insulting and ruining each other with witty phrases and the main character, being quick tongued himself, has to navigate and rely on his wit to get his way. The film was supposedly nominated for various Oscars at the time and won a few. Recommended.

Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Im rewatching Ink, such a great movie.

Yes it is. Might re-watch it myself tonight.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally started watching Fragglescape...I mean Farscape. Seriously, during the first few episodes I kept expecting them to sing us Dance Our Cares Away.

I don't get it. It is like Buck Rogers meets Fraggle Rock.

But episode Eight won me over. This is getting good. Does it get better?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I watched a few episodes of Little Britain a year or two ago, and thought it was kind of funny, but not enough to make me finish the series. I kind of trailed off after the first season and forgot about it.

Then I saw one of the people from that show in Bridesmaids, and I showed my wife an episode of Little Britain when we got home so she could see who he was.

I don't know if my tastes have changed in the last year, or if Season 2 is better than Season 1. But the show I used to think was mildly entertaining is now (in parts) hilarious. In fact, there was a sketch I saw yesterday that was so funny I couldn't sleep last night. Every time I closed my eyes I'd see the sketch in my mind and go into epileptic fits of laughter. Seemed like it lasted for hours. My poor wife had to fall asleep on a vibrating bed.

The Catherine Tate Show is a similar sort of program, and almost as good. A little more repetitive as a series (although both are based largely on recurring characters), but funny and very impressively executed. If you're a fan of Doctor Who and have never seen Catherine Tate in her natural environment, you owe it to yourself to catch an episode or two.

(EDIT: If you're a fan of Doctor Who, you also owe it to yourself to see Little Britain, as some of the funniest parts are the inter-sketch narrations provided by Tom Baker. And if you're a fan of Buffy... well, I won't spoil that one for you. Just watch.)

[ June 19, 2011, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Watched Ink last night. The last couple scenes got a tear out of me.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
We've really enjoyed "Making Stuff", a four part Nova mini series. I was finishing the third and fourth episodes the other night and the kids were so engrossed they went back and watched the first two and headed into the third again.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Ironman 2 was pretty enjoyable, depending on your ability to suspend your disbelief.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished Baccano! last night, it was so amazing.

Isaac and Miria are the greatest couple in anime, ever.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I'm surprised no one has said anything here yet. Star Trek (TOS, Voyager, TNG and Enterprise) are all on Netflix streaming. I just finished a run through of TNG on DVD so I started with TOS.

I've already seen someone say that TNG's episodes seemed to have less than ideal quality. I haven't noticed that on TOS, but that's probably because I expect the quality to look a bit aged. *shrug*

Speed
Member # 5162

I am also surprised and ashamed that we haven't all been talking about the show that's been available to stream for 12 whole hours. Man, Hatrack has really gone downhill. [Razz]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Pfft, closer to 48 hours, sir.

And if anything says something about the quality of an internet forum, it's obviously the speed at which it's members discuss what's been uploaded on Netflix.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.