FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Netflix streaming recommendation (Page 0)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Netflix streaming recommendation
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
You hoard dvd's and low battery use portable dvd player's, I'll hoard toilet paper.

We will see who becomes God in zombieland.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I hoard ammo...because anything you or anyone else can hoard that I need and don't have...well, you do the math. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer for Blindness, starring Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo and Danny Glover. Its not streaming, but I was very impressed with this film and cant figure out why I havent heard of it in the last three years.

The trailer sets up the premise, but does not prepare an audience for the gravity of its story and plot elements. This is not a movie for kids or any over sensitive members of your family. What it is, is a dissection of human morality and its frailty in the face of weakness. The film makers did an excellent job of telling the story so I dont want to spoil any of it, just warning you that there is a good length in this long movie that is hard to watch.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The day will come when there is as much available streaming as there is on DVDs. That day has not come yet. It REALLY hasn't come for the vast majority of things that I want to watch.

For that reason, I rejoice over the new price structure. I have used streaming maybe once in the past year, and I use the DVDs all the time. I am happily switching to a DVDs-only plan and saving almost six dollars a month.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
They just added Birdemic: Shock and Terror to the streaming list. This is truly a Manos/The Room/Troll 2 level cornucopia of awesome badness. If you want to add icing to the cake, there's also a Rifftrax for this movie. But with or without it, this movie is a scream. Watch it with friends.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowland
Member # 12366

- posted      Profile for shadowland   Email shadowland         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great news! I can't wait to watch Birdemic again.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I finally watched Timer, I don't think I was impressed by the premise as many of you were but the cast was impeccable and I did enjoy the movie very much. I like the directors sense of humor, the scene where Emma Caulfield has trouble with automatic door at the supermarket hit my funny bone with precision.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Memento...so good.

Timer, eh? I loved Emma Caufield from Buffy...I will check it out.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I have to say, I never realized just how skinny Caulfield was until I watched Timer. Good for her for being healthy but someone needs to give that woman a sandwich.
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG
THE KILL POINT
amazing television i knew John leguizamo was a great actor but this just put him throught the roof same for Donnie Walberg and whole cast
dont miss this one

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Watching Leguizamo in Too Wong Foo, and then in his short lived character in Gamer will show just how dynamic his acting ability is.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
They added Mad Men recently, which I hear is good. I've also been watching Camelot, although there's only ten episodes and the series was cancelled,despite the amazing reviews.

Psych is also a good show, although it's been up for a while.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

This may be too late to be useful, but I was browsing my instant queue and noticed that one of my movies is expiring tomorrow, so I decided to watch it.

The movie was Witness for the Prosecution, and it was brilliant. A nicely plotted courtroom mystery with a truly unconventional twist ending. But better still, the colorful characters and witty dialogue made it more fun to watch than just about any other film I've seen in the genre. Wonderfully acted and directed, and the script is a classic demonstration of why Agatha Christie is one of the 20th century's most beloved authors.

If you're bored tonight, give it a shot. At least watch the first 10 minutes and see if you can bear to turn it off. Otherwise, add it to your DVD queue before they make you pay extra for it.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
So... I've been watching a lot of Star Trek: The Next Generation on Netflix.

Like, alot.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I finally watched Timer, I don't think I was impressed by the premise as many of you were but the cast was impeccable and I did enjoy the movie very much. I like the directors sense of humor, the scene where Emma Caulfield has trouble with automatic door at the supermarket hit my funny bone with precision.
I loved how Timer completely ignored all the typical romantic comedy tropes.

That said...

WARNING: Don't watch Timer with a romantic interest with whom you are questioning the seriousness of your connection.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Not related to netflix, but RA's warning...One of my first dates with my wife was to go see "The Last Kiss" in the theater...since we both really liked "Garden State" we figured for the same off beat, fun, moving, romantic comedy/drama...

Big mistake. Big. Mistake. Not a date movie at all, let alone a beginning of the relationship date movie.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I never thought I would say this but, Wristcutters: A Love Story might be a better date movie than Timer.

Wristcutters trailer.

Also while on the topic of off kilter love stories, Good Dick is an amazing movie written, directed and starring Marianna Palka co-written and also starring Jason Ritter, John Ritter's son. I cannot praise this movie enough, its frank, its bitter and socially uncomfortable. Just like real life. Because of the provocative title I feel that I should say that there is no nudity and no sex scenes, dialogue doesn't get much worse than what is in the trailer.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I just finished the first two seasons of Damages, I am happy that I waited to watch it as a marathon due to the very detail oriented plot twists and cliff hanger style. Between streaming Damages and getting The Wire through the mail I find myself in crime drama nirvana.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by Yebor1:
OMG
THE KILL POINT
amazing television i knew John leguizamo was a great actor but this just put him throught the roof same for Donnie Walberg and whole cast
dont miss this one

I'm watching The Kill Point right now, I love seeing all those familiar faces from The Wire.

ETA
I am about half way through, and Wahlberg is absolutely annoying.

[ August 05, 2011, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

A bit of Fry and Laurie...awesome!
Speed
Member # 5162

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
We've really enjoyed "Making Stuff", a four part Nova mini series. I was finishing the third and fourth episodes the other night and the kids were so engrossed they went back and watched the first two and headed into the third again.

We've been watching that too, at your suggestion, and it's a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed Episode 3. It's nice to see environmentalism focused on how things can get better, rather than how screwed we are. I really enjoyed seeing a piece on the subject that was exciting and inspiring, rather than depressing.

I just finished watching Topsy Turvy with my wife, and we both loved it. The main plot involves the creation and production of Gilbert & Sullivan's The Mikado. But it's really more of a leisurely slice-of-life examination of late 19th Century London theater than a standard biopic.

It's also a movie that we're lucky was ever made. There's not much mainstream market for projects like this, but somehow they managed to get more time and money invested in it than there was ever a hope of making back. It was clearly a labor of love for someone. The result is an impeccably researched and relatively lavishly produced film, full of top-notch actors and scrupulous attention to detail.

It's a little long, and I wouldn't call it suspenseful. But it never drags and is fascinating and enlightening from start to finish, particularly if you've got any interest in the subject matter.

[ August 07, 2011, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Jim Henson's the Story Teller...makes me sad all over again that he died.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
They have the first two seasons of Reboot on netflix.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I hate to keep monopolizing the thread, but a couple weeks ago I just streamed the most interesting movie I've seen in a long time. The movie was Nosferatu.

I don't know if I should admit this, but I think it was the first silent feature film I've ever seen all the way through. I watched it mainly to experience an important piece of culture, but I never expected to actually like it.

Much to my surprise, I was totally captivated by it. I didn't even notice time passing as I watched it. If anything, the silent, flickery black-and-white only enhanced the experience. More than a mere cultural relic, it was a really excellent film.

And the most surprising part was how much it's stuck with me over the past few weeks. I've seen various vampire movies, books and TV shows in the past. Some I've liked more than others. But this was the only thing I've ever seen that actually got me interested in vampire lore in general.

Since I saw it I've scoured the web for historical vampire legends, ordered the Werner Herzog remake of Nosferatu from Netflix, watched Shadow of the Vampire (a fictionalized movie about the making of Nosferatu), and I've even started reading Dracula. As much as I enjoyed Buffy and the like, it never had this effect on me.

The Herzog remake was also very good, in a different way, but it didn't get into my head the way the original did. And the remake isn't on streaming, so there's that.

EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for EarlNMeyer-Flask           Edit/Delete Post 
I never watched later seasons like 2 onwards of Futurama when it came out even though I love sci-fi and the Simpsons. I don't remember why though. Anyways, I'm really enjoying Futurama. It's really funny.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

Maybe Netflix won't be with us for much longer, but I guess we'll have to see. Hulu is great too. I watch current tv on it.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm still a hulu guy. no homo.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

They just threw Tangled on streaming, which is one of my favorite Disney movies. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out!

Also, Star Trek: ToS, Voyager, and TNG are all up for streaming. Always entertaining.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
They just threw Tangled on streaming, which is one of my favorite Disney movies. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out!

Great. I wanted to see that.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
Also, Star Trek: ToS, Voyager, and TNG are all up for streaming. Always entertaining.

I wish they had DS9. Amazon does, and since I have prime it doesn't cost me anything more than I'm already paying, but I'd rather give Netflix the buisness.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Tangled was quite good, but the animation was so stunning it might be worth your while to order the dvd our blu-ray for the full experience.

Also if you need to catch up on some of Disney's best recent work, they had Toy story 3 on streaming last time I checked.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

I wish they had DS9, too. I'd love to watch that again after my Voyager run.

Tangled is amazing, and I am very tempted to buy it on bluray.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Paper Man is an odd dramatic comedy starring Jeff Bridges, Emma Stone, Lisa Kudrow and Kieran Culkin.

And Ryan Reynolds as Captain Excellent.

EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

Starz won't be offered on netflix for long, or Disney for that matter.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Is this what you meant?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by Yebor1:
OMG
THE KILL POINT
dont miss this one

So I watched Kill Point and I have to say what a crazy mix of really great moments with bad effects/edits, completely unbelievable shoot outs and poorly written emotional scenes.

C-

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Wahlberg's character only became more foolish, and Omar Little (the sniper) was over written with no real set-up. I found Kill Point trite and easy to predict in the end, certain elements hint to a darker more complex story that could have been if not for tv producers need for generalization.

The old man could have been much more interesting, but he really only got that one good line "(I'm paraphrasing) I came out in 1962, this is nothing."

Speed
Member # 5162

If anyone here is only familiar with Jackie Chan from his post-Rush Hour movies, and you've always wondered what the big deal was about him, Netflix just answered your question.

This is one of Jackie Chan's best movies ever, and it also showcases his equally amazing Peking Opera School brothers Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao.

It's great all the way through, but if you can't watch the whole thing, just skip to the end and watch Jackie fight Benny "The Jet" Urquidez. If you only know that guy as the assassin from Grosse Pointe Blank, you're in for another jaw-dropping surprise.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

'Super' starring Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page is not streaming, but I think its worth seeing. I have to note that there is a scene between Wilson and Page that is the fifth most disturbing scene of a sexual nature that I have ever seen, and three of the top four are violent rapes.

Its not a timid film, but I think that is the point in contrast to conventional action and hero movies.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Season one of Walking Dead is now streaming, with plenty of time to lament with all the other fans about how long it will be before season two starts airing on AMC.

All of The Wonder Years is also streaming now.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Malcolm in the Middle too. [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily, before Starz leaves Netflix for good, they allowed the entire fourth season of Torchwood to be aired on Netflix. Only the first episode was available on Starz.com, and none of the episodes were available on Amazon.com, my preferred online source to pay for videos. I was willing to pay extra to see it, but now I don't have to.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
The dad from Malcolm in the Middle is pretty amazing in Breaking Bad, which is also now streaming (maybe it's always been?). I've seen four episodes so far and they were all tense and compelling. Best show I've seen in a while. Love the Albuquerque setting.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

It's rather new to netflix, but its amazingness is not new at all.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

CW's stable of shows coming the Netflix streaming.

If Smallville is included I might start cherry picking some of the later episodes, mainly ones with other heroes.

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a new season of That Mitchell and Webb Look up now. A quite enjoyable, British sketch comedy show starring David Mitchell and Robert Webb.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

quote:
Originally posted by Sa'eed:
The dad from Malcolm in the Middle is pretty amazing in Breaking Bad, which is also now streaming (maybe it's always been?). I've seen four episodes so far and they were all tense and compelling. Best show I've seen in a while. Love the Albuquerque setting.

I just heard an interview with Aaron Paul, who plays Jesse on Breaking Bad. He said that when he was younger he came very close to being cast as Reese on Malcolm in the Middle. One way or another, he was destined to hang out with Bryan Cranston.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

The Perfect Host starring David Hyde Pierce, and after watching this I will never watch Frasier the same.

[ October 16, 2011, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Being Human, the "UK" version, aka the original is streaming. The opening narrative made me an honest fan and the actual meat of the show was simply icing on the cake.
Speed
Member # 5162

I'm sure everyone knows that Netflix has all the Saturday Night Live archives. But that's a massive pile, and I just found something awesome buried in there. So if you have Netflix, click the following:

Season 10 Episode 4

I know the early '80s SNL has a bad rep, but you've really got to see two things:

1. 10:00 in: If you're a fan of A Mighty Wind, this may surprise and delight you.
2. 17:20 in: If you watched Billy Crystal on the Oscars last year, and you're too young to understand why everyone used to love him so much, watch this sketch. It's just Billy and Martin Short, and it's one of the funniest sketches I can ever remember seeing on SNL.

The rest of the episode is pretty funny, too. All above the standards of the era. But those two sketches especially were so awesome I had to share.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.