FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Netflix streaming recommendation (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Netflix streaming recommendation
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wii's definitely cheaper, but if you can swing it I'd add the extra $100 for a PS3. It will be able to do higher quality video output, plus play blu-ray (it is a very high quality blu-ray player, for cheap, and a good up-sampling DVD player). A lot of blu-ray players are slow and clunky, so a lower quality one can be a huge annoyance (minutes of loading and such), making the PS3 probably the most cost effective blu-ray player on the market.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched Twilight Samurai on Instant Queue. I rather liked it. It's not extremely action packed, though there are very tense fight scenes, it's much more about him as a person, and the society he exists in.

It was a very moving flick IMHO.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Dakota Skye is a good quirky indie drama/romance about a girl who has a superpower: she can the truth behind all lies as subtitles. Really interesting movie.

Also good was The Baxter, which is about the guy who gets left at the altar for the leading man.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
they just added "Kids in the hall" to instant streaming its a great sketch comedy show from the early ninties another of my favorites
Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched Pandorum streaming, Ben Foster in space with as much if not more attention to detail than in Moon. Like most of Foster's work its not a family flick but it is exquisitly done in every way, I highly recomend this movie.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched Timer with my girlfriend. Very clever. It's a simple idea, and I thought they executed it very nicely.

Thanks for the recommendation, whoever you were.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I just watched Twilight Samurai on Instant Queue. I rather liked it. It's not extremely action packed, though there are very tense fight scenes, it's much more about him as a person, and the society he exists in.

Great film.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post 
Latest all consuming Netflix streaming habits...

Jekyll - 6 episodes...not too much horror (gore and blood)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/jekyll/

Wire in the Blood - multiple seasons...first two episodes are VERY graphic. Not for the faint of heart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_in_the_Blood

Second others suggestion of District B13, Carriers and Pandorum.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched The Karate Kid remake, and aside from the much conversed incorrect title I thoroughly enjoyed the flick. Smith showed an affinity for martial-arts, and and thier equivalant of the "bonzai" scene ispired sympathy very well. The movie certainly ran longer than I had anticipated, but that allowed for much more character development in between training progression and I appreciated the little bits of complaining from Smith while Chan smacked him around.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

"Spartacus: Blood and Sand."

It's bloody and gory (with high sexual content) but it's involving, sad and entertaining. It is so clearly inspired by "300" in style that you might snicker but the show is actually considerably better in terms of emotion and storytelling than that film.

Also, Lucy Lawless does the best work of her career in this show and still looks stunning.

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Even better than when she spread ez-cheese with a paint roller on a man wearing a womans bikini?

The Soup is a very odd show, and I cannot find the video.

Edit- I just googled 'Lucy Lawless Spartacus' and I know what Sa'eed is talking about now.

[ February 21, 2011, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Some of you may remember a thread sharing the preview for Jack Goes Boating, well I finally watched it on DVD through Netflix and while it certainly delivers an odd romance the surreality of it shines through. Via the special features I learned that Phillip Seymor Hoffman and much of the cast also played the same roles in the stage play that inspired the movie to be made, and ofcourse that Hoffman himself directed the flick. It makes me want to see it performed live.
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Goes Boating!

Woo hoo!

I was the OP on that thread. I ended up being able to see that in the theater, but I forgot to follow up with my thoughts on it...

I really enjoyed it. Hoffman definitely knows how to make awkward situations beautiful. [Smile]

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I want to see it live because of those awkward scenes, live theatre will always creep into your head more than a movie and actually hearing two people yell at each other like that in person would a much more interesting experiance.
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

I saw about 40 minutes of "Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky," and I plan to finish the rest. The beginning of the film depicts the notorious premiere of the "Rite of Spring." I've heard the piece before but never seen the actual dance. This was done in 1913, and no wonder it got the reaction it did.

youtube clip

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

That certainly does look interesting Sa'eed, but are you refering to the responses left on youtube? if not what kind of response did it get?

So I have apperantly had a very boring weekend and here is the result.
Operation: Endgame features Zack Galifianakis doing the role he was born to play, eccentric assasin walking around not doing much at all but oddly dressed while doing it. Rob Cordry actually plays a foul mouthed alcoholic and a couple of other familiar faces round out the cast and if you have a perpensity for impolite dialogue than you will love the first twenty minutes. Also, flaming golf club.
Men Who Stare at Goats was much more than I expected and while I reccomend it I dont think it should be ruined.

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Hmmmm, been meaning to watch this. In the Mood For Love is available for streaming if anybody is a Wong Kar-Wai fan. It's my favorite romance film ever.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
That certainly does look interesting Sa'eed, but are you refering to the responses left on youtube? if not what kind of response did it get?

I think he's probably referring to the riot that occurred at its premiere.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
They've got a lot of good Wong Kar-Wai movies up. In The Mood For Love is probably the best one.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rather fond of Ashes of Time if thats available.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:

I was referring to the 1913 audience reaction to the premiere of the "Rite of Spring." The youtube link is a recreation of that original production.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Days of Being Wild

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Days of Being Wild

Hobbes [Smile]

Yes!!
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Interesting bit of history and it makes the choreography make more sense.

Thanks.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Currently watching Persons Unknown, about eight people who are abducted and wake up in an early 1900's American town alone. There are fully stocked shops including a chinese restraunt, and they cannot leave. I would hate to reveal anything more about the show seeing as it relies upon suspenseful storytelling, but I will say that Kandyse McClure (Dee from BSG) plays a character so very unlike her most notable perfomance that it impresses me.
Yebor1
Member # 1380

just finished SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES very good
Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Also all nine seasons of Srubs is now streaming, which goes a long way in replacing my casual broadcast viewing. And Grown Ups was much better than I expected.
D_Dub
Member # 6766

- posted      Profile for D_Dub   Email D_Dub         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
I have to give another nod to the Airbender series. My son and I both loved it.

Make that another nod for Avatar the last Airbender.

I really enjoyed the story.

Unfortunate about the latest live action movie though. Really bummed me out.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
My girls have been doing an Avatar marathon lately. I got sort of interested in it, enough to pay attention, anyway. without seeing the live action movie, Cayla is disdainful about it.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Dub
Member # 6766

- posted      Profile for D_Dub   Email D_Dub         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
My girls have been doing an Avatar marathon lately. I got sort of interested in it, enough to pay attention, anyway. without seeing the live action movie, Cayla is disdainful about it.

Get fully interested. [Big Grin] You won't be disappointed.

If Ender's Game were to ever become a movie, the Airbender movie reminded me of how I almost don't want it to become one. Great story gets made into the worst movie. It deserved a better script and better direction. The only movie I wished I unwatched. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

HA! Andrew "Onder" Wiggeen.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just finished SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES very good
Oh god yes. One of my favorite series ever. Very good development of robot characters, without resorting to magical-human-feelings a la Battlestar Galactica.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Yeah, great show.

Avatar TLAB is like the best kids' show ever made. DuckTales might be close, but really it's all about Avatar.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

I just watched My Name is Khan. It's an insane mix of Bollywood melodrama and feel-good propaganda. If you like bad movies, this one is epic.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw The Killing last night, which is one of Stanley Kubrick's very first movies. It's short and extremely low-budget. It's an old B&W noir that feels like an MST3K reject for the first few minutes. But as soon as you adjust to the cheap '50s-ness of it, there's some amazing stuff in there. Non-linear storytelling and fascinating performances that give an enlightening glimpse of great things to come.

I read an interview with Tarantino in which he listed Enter the Void as one of his top 10 movies of last year, mainly for the opening credit sequence. I wasn't able to make it through more than 20-30 minutes of the actual film, but those credits really are pretty cool if you've got 5 minutes to kill.

Ever since I saw Picnic at Hanging Rock on Netflix streaming I've kind of been going on an obsessive Peter Weir movie marathon. Of the others that are available on streaming, I think Fearless is the best. Another great Jeff Bridges performance, if you just saw True Grit and want seconds.

And finally, although this may sound like damning with faint praise, I just saw Daybreakers, and it was a lot better than I expected. There are some over-the-top performances, and the movie seems to think it's cooler and more clever than it really is. That said, it is based on a reasonably interesting concept, and it's very well paced. For all the eye-rolling that some of Willem Dafoe's acting and dialogue got, I was solidly entertained throughout and never once checked my watch. Not bad for a vampire flick.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Daybreakers... the cars were very inventive, the best thing Whedon and Co. could come up with for vamp's driving during the day was special glass. But the story was trying very hard to not be as simple as it really was and the whole film was just too cool for itself. I understand they were all vampires, but why did everyone look like the spawn of Dark City's and The Matrix' extras?
Speed
Member # 5162

True, Daybreakers was by no means a classic. And it did benefit a lot from my diminished expectations.

In fact, I had originally intended to just see a few scenes to get a feel for it, and I ended up watching it to the end. There were several elements that were pretentious and silly, but I didn't find any of it boring. And that goes a long way with me.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Gattaca and felt this strange sensation that time had slowed down, and I was watching something I was supposed to enjoy, but just couldn't.

A few weeks later I watched Daybreakers, and felt this strange sensation that I was watching Gattaca.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the first season of the Munsters--that less intellectual Addams Family program. OK, its more than that and Herman is adorable.

Anyway, what I caught on the first episode was the blatant attack on racism.

Mailman to neighbor. "I have to deliver mail to [italic] those people.[/italic]

Neighbor "How can you stand it. Its not that I have anything against there kind, but they need to know their place."

Mailman "indeed. They should know their place, and it is disgusting that they don't."

What follows is that, due to Grandpa's mistake, the neighbors suddenly fall magically in love with the Munsters. Perhaps in lust is a better word.

Suddenly I am getting a serious headache as I try to wrap my head around this idea--The Munsters can be seen as a social commentary on race relations.

What are the Munsters? Scary looking odd people with one cute niece who "passes" as normal. How were African Americans looked at then (and in many places now) but as scary when they moved into your neighbor hood. And there was always the fear that the person you were dating was really "one of them" who was passing.

Even the filler stuff on Netflix can be entertaining.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

quote:
Originally posted by Flying Fish:
I watched Gattaca and felt this strange sensation that time had slowed down, and I was watching something I was supposed to enjoy, but just couldn't.

A few weeks later I watched Daybreakers, and felt this strange sensation that I was watching Gattaca.

Ha! [ROFL]

I actually liked Gattaca quite a bit, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. [Wink]

Speed
Member # 5162

I just noticed that Netflix now has both 3rd Rock from the Sun and Cliffhanger. So now your only choice is whether you'd rather see John Lithgow be deliberately or unintentionally hilarious.
Itsame
Member # 9712

One of the more interesting movies I've seen in a while is The Nines, starring Ryan Reynolds. As far as I can tell, it's a movie about neoplatonic emanation and a literal interpretation of a world generator.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

I have seen two episodes of this show so far and have thoroughly enjoyed them. The series is 7 episodes and it was a hit in the UK and therefore it's getting a sequel series. It was aired on PBS recently. I'm talking this show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M3moEeErr8

Washington Post review:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/07/AR2011010706059.html

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered that "Beakman's World" is on Netflix.

I have a 10 year old son/excuse to watch.

"Beakman!"

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

yep its in my instant que also beakman that is now if they just had animaniacs id be in saturday mornimg heaven
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I feel bad for kids that dont know anamaniacs, Yakko singing every single country in the world has been replaced by Spongebob splitting his pants for ten minutes straight.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I am half way through series 2 of Hyperdrive, a BBC science-fiction comedy starring Nick Frost. I dont usually like british shows much but Hyperdrive is alot of immature fun.
shadowland
Member # 12366

- posted      Profile for shadowland   Email shadowland         Edit/Delete Post 
Timer had been in my queue for several months due to a thread here about it. I watched it recently and thought it was quite enjoyable, though the end was a bit more abrupt than I was expecting.

And I watched Sin Nombre, which was a pretty moving tale of immigration to the US.

The Man From Earth sounds interesting, so I'm adding that to my queue right now.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I am watching the first season of Arrested Development on Netflix today. Interesting show. It reminds me of my dreams about failure, though. You know the sort, where you dream that you're unable to do something? Like you're supposed to know your lines, or know the answer to the test, and you know absolutely nothing about it?
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I ended up watching Downton Abbey, which was good.

If you want a farce, then check out Mystery Team starring Donald Glover from Community. It's about a group of kid detectives who are 18 but act like they're 6 and end up on a murder case.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.