FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NaNoWriMo 2005 (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2005
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I haven't even started. I don't have a solid idea or anything. I'm trying to stuff 48 hours of work each week into 37.5 hours, plus take care of personal stuff. The thing I'm looking forward to each day is a nap to try to make up for the sleep I didn't get the night before. [/whine]

[Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
CaySedai, I'm in the exact same spot. Well, I don't get naps. But anyway, you're not the only one. [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Okay, misery loves company or something ...

Here's the nap explanation: I work evenings and get home anywhere between 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. most nights. Tired as I am ), I can't/don't go to bed right away. I decompress - sometimes read, watch TV or go on the computer. Last night my husband wasn't on the computer when I got home. [Eek!] So, I went online and was up til past 1 a.m.

I get up at 6 a.m. to get the kids up and off to school. Then, I take a nap to try to make up for lost sleep. Except the days (like today) I have to take DH to physical therapy, since our car is a stick shift and he had surgery on his left knee. So, today, my nap will be delayed.

My excuse for not getting started is that a few weeks ago I began writing a weekly article for the paper where I work. Then they decided that I need to paginate more pages I wasn't doing before - including 7 pages of the Sunday Lifestyle section, which is done on Thursdays (which happens to be the last day of the pay week). Also, a monthly section of 12 or 14 pages, I think. And four Lifestyle pages during the week. Then, two weeks ago, the other full-time paginator quit, and shortly thereafter decided not to work out the two weeks' notice. So, I'm working more during regular hours, as well. And, I'm not allowed to have overtime. [Cry]

(I checked, the previous list of excuses amounts to 265 words - I should write a book about my life, huh?)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, CaySedai, I have sympathy for you. Really, I do.

Once upon a time, in the history in my life, the last time I was employed, I had a job at this horrible company that had me as it's sole occupant in the accounting department. This company had a sister company in the US, and they had four people in their accounting department. They had 10 stores, we had 12. They had 40 employees, we had over 60. I was not allowed to work overtime, either, and yet. . .

I quit, giving them no notice. They will burn in hell. Of that, I have no doubt. [Big Grin]

Like I said, I have sympathy.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought your last job was with a travel magazine.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, I mean last job as in an actual employee. IOW, a slave. [Razz]

Now, I do freelancing. Completely different.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Column is done, online election updates are over, time to write something again. Let's see, I'm... about halfway where I should be today. Sigh.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't done diddly since I wrote my letters.

Well, that's not precisely true - I wrote a scathing denouncement (complete with relevant research) on a particular issue for work yesterday.

Hmmph.

Fiction has died for me. Maybe it's 'cause in my life truth really is/has been/continues to be stranger than fiction . . .

dunno -

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Then you could fictionalize your real life . . .
CaySedai
Member # 6459

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Then you could fictionalize your real life . . .

See, that's what I'm thinkin' ... and have started sort of an outline.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you writing a fantasy novel?

Here's a quick, snarky quiz for you. . .

http://www.rinkworks.com/fnovel/

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I love that quiz. I consider my Nanowrimo in progress a fantasy novel, and am pleased to say I only answered yes to about 5 questions on that. (Some of them were more "sort of" than yes, too.)

Anyway, I'm still at work at the moment, and am delighted to say that I've kept our queues under control enough that I've had time to write a bit while technically on the clock. So far I've gotten just over 607 more words out if it, which is not bad considering it hasn't taken any of my "free time" to do it.

Also, I've just finished a chapter which I'm sure very few readers will ever be able to figure out what was really going on in. Refreshing.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Nobody's checked in with wordcounts in a while. Please tell me I'm not the only one foolish enough to still be doing this thing!

11,535 words at the moment. 1000 words of which was today and I'm taking a quick food break. My short term goal is to try to do 5000 today and 5000 tomorrow, because this has been a pretty poor week for me, writing-wise.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I haven't written in the last two days - haven't been feeling well. Headaches, lightheadedness, and the like. But I'm still going. I'm in this thing until the very end.

And even though I'm still at around 11k words, I'll make the 50k and then some.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 28 page outline...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I have something coming up this Saturday I need to prepare for. If I can get more writing done, I will. I am going to try and make a last "minute" push in the final week, but I do not think I am going to make the 50,000 word minimum by Nov. 30th. Oh well, writing is still writing. Good luck to all those still working forward or trying to or even just thinking about it.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

14,534. Only 1000 more words and I can call it a night. This is probably already more than I've ever written is a single day. I'm normally the slow-but-not-all-that-steady one.

--Enigmatic

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jasonepowell:
3500 words of absolutely terrible, yet somehow glorious, dreck! Look at me pollute the page! WOOHOO!

Holy mackeral, Jason, I didn't know you were still around here.

I guess you post even more infrequently, and in different threads, than I do. [Razz]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

22,459 words. This was not a very productive week, and my weekend was too full of other activities to try to catch up.

My only possible saving grace at this point is the four day weekend for thanksgiving and the 6-hour each way car trip to dkw's house with a laptop. Since I know where the story is going I have this fear that I'll hit the end of the actual story at around 40,000 words and have to tack on an unnecessary, rambling epilogue or go back and throw in some more flashbacks. So it goes.

--Enigmatic

dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a severe bout of writer's block in week two. I got over it, reached 16,000, and then grew bored with the novel and gave up. I haven't written anything since then.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I only just started. I've been far far too busy with classes to even consider writing one. But now classes are over for thanksgiving and assuming I finish my programming project I'll actually be able to write. What's more is I have an idea for a plot and for events and characters, for the first time ever a whole story, of decent length, is sort of forming in my head.

So... 1000 words. 49,000 to go. We'll see if I can burn through them in 9 days [Big Grin] (more like 4 since classes start up again right after the break).

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Well... I have finally broken the 5,000 word mark. At least my reason for not writing was a success.

Hahaha... I am still not out of my first scene though. Sheesh. This is what I get for not practicing. I am having to relearn everything. Here's to trying to get to 50,000 in about a week.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I suck. I absolutely suck.

No plot, big problem. No ideas, no words, nothing. No time, etc.

I just suck.

larisse
Member # 2221

Cay,

Think of it as a mantra. Use it to your advantage. Give yourself permission to suck and then just write. Now, if only I could take my own advice.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
So....where is everyone?

I have no shame. I quit before I even got started!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.