FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What has child care come to? Parents these days are doing a poor job. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: What has child care come to? Parents these days are doing a poor job.
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

- posted      Profile for Laurenz0   Email Laurenz0         Edit/Delete Post 
What I'd really like to see if death by accidents have been lowered over the past years. Does anybody now where I could get such information?
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Google?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Going from memory, the top reason for childhood mortality is accident.

A quick search on google shows that accidents are the main reason kids die, but most of those are motor vehicular. For older kids, it's motor vehicles and firearms. That's chilling.

edit: http://www.childstats.gov/ac2000/highlight.asp

[ August 06, 2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: jeniwren ]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

So, if motor vehicle accidents are tops. Why do you guys deem driving with your kids safe enough? More kids are dying from that than doing crazy things.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
The real question is, why do so many parents think it's okay to drive around without putting their children into their car seats properly, or at all.

But that is an entirely different issue, and one that I will very likely be raising here in September, after I get my Child Safety Seat Technition certification.

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Vana, I never understood that one either. I about came unglued one time when I was following a Volvo in traffic. Two small children were bouncing around in the back, waving at me and having a grand old time. My son, raised with the idea that the car won't start unless everyone is buckled in, asked me how the lady driving was able to get her car started.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Car journeys are all but unavoidable. The same cannot be said for your little stunt.

Also, a fair number of those must surely result from not wearing seatbelts, another example of unnecessary risk-taking.

Edit: Why do I keep missing out other people's posts? Clarification: I was, of course, addressing Laurenz0, and now that Vana's mentioned it, let me add "or not being secured in car-seats" to "not wearing seatbelts".

[ August 06, 2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: ae ]

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

http://www.plif.com/archive/archive.htm

go to november 27.

Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
The real question is, why do so many parents think it's okay to drive around without putting their children into their car seats properly, or at all.

Now that is my definition of risk with no gain. Horrible. just horrible.
ae
Member # 3291

You have yet to define what you mean by "gain".
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

By gain I mean a risk that will allow the child to learn by experiance how to be cautious, a risk that will bring him or her outdoors away from the computer, a risk that will give htem some experiance taking risks and best of all, to have a little fun.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Lorenzo, not to defend parents who do this -- the one time I drove with my toddler son *not* strapped in the carseat, I had a good reason. He was having a temper tantrum that had already lasted nearly 2 hours. I was taking him home from daycare, where the director had stayed late and tried to help me calm him down. Ultimately, though, we tried everything and could not get him to calm down. So I picked him up bodily (he weighed about half what I did, so this was not easy) and put him in the car. I tried to get him in his seat, but couldn't. He just wouldn't bend. It was less than a mile home, so I gave up and drove home without him in his carseat.

Sometimes the gain is getting them in the car at all when you *have* to leave. No excuse, obviously. But sometimes you do what you have to do. I remember that day very clearly, even though it was over 7 years ago. Parenting is not for wimps.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun is in the eye of the beholder. Being outside is not immediately equal to being in fun, especially in certain areas.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

Laurenz0:
quote:
a risk that will allow the child to learn by experiance how to be cautious
Why do you want him to learn to be cautious? Trick question.

quote:
a risk that will bring him or her outdoors away from the computer
You can play outdoors without risking serious injury the way your example did.

quote:
a risk that will give htem some experiance taking risks
This is circular and pointless.

quote:
best of all, to have a little fun
Soudns like playing in the car without a car-seat/seatbelt fulfills this criterion.
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always heard that if you keep a dog on a short leash, rather than training it, the dog is much more apt to run away should the leash ever break.

Wouldn't the same be true for our children? It's important to let them play (and I agree with EllenM that there is too much "scheduled activities" in the lives of our children today), but to also raise them to have good sense about safety and danger.

It seems that so often, our kids are raised by teachers, coaches and televisions, rather than by their parents. It helps to have a whole village around when raising a child, but all it really takes is at least one caring, involved parent.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
You can play outdoors without risking serious injury the way your example did.
But there isn't anything cool or exciting like in a video game.
katharina
Member # 827

Well, that convinced me. [Wink]

L, there also is no reset button like a video game either.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Lorenz0, could you please address my post??

Here's another question. Do you feel your own parents unduly limit your own freedom?

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not because they think they're too old and need to be watched for. We're a family. We watch out for each other. That's what families do.
[Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

(((((mack)))))
ae
Member # 3291

Laurenz0:
quote:
But there isn't anything cool or exciting like in a video game.
Way to go, Mr Irrelevant.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Just play video games during a thunderstorm next to a sliding glass door that's open. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What i'm comparing it to is what kids were allowed to do back in earlier days, when they coud really go out of the house say "mom I'm going to the river, be back for lunch" go down to the river, relaly do whatever the hell they wanted. Come back for lunch, head out and do something else.
One thing to keep in mind is that in the old days, parents didn't have to worry so much about whether there was somebody down by the river waiting for kids to come by.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, a real group hug.

(((Kat & mack)))

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Laurenz0, here you go. Adolescent mortality in 1980 was 97.9 (78.1 for injuries only) per 100,000. By 1999, it had dropped to 69.8 (53.5 for injuries only.) It would seem that of all the groups represented, only African Americans mortality rate is going up. [Frown]

(Sweet William, your welcome! I read those pet peeve threads! I really do try to learn from my mistakes, though learning from others works, too. Now, if only I could get y'all to make more mistakes and then have someone point it out. [Wink] )

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that in the old days, parents didn't have to worry so much about whether there was somebody down by the river waiting for kids to come by.

Actually, thats not true. Just the ****ing media seems to make everybody believe it happens to everyone.'

They are just really discovering all that happened back then.

But really. THere still isn't that much of it. No here anyway. And I live in a city of 1 million. Or, 950 000.

The media is making us all paranoid. its true. i agree with Micheal moore when it comes to that.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.