FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Midterm Election 2006 Results/Commentary Thread (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Midterm Election 2006 Results/Commentary Thread
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
your whats wrong with America! :-p
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
From the New York Times 27 minutes ago:
quote:
Senator George Allen is expected to concede his re-election campaign against his Democratic challenger, Jim Webb, later this afternoon, according to two Republicans connected to the Allen campaign.

Mr. Allen is scheduled to make a statement at 3 p.m. in Alexandria.

Full article here (with a subscription).
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read this thread and ain't gonna, it's so long now...just thought I'd remark that I think it's hysterical that one of the first things I saw at cnn.com just now was a link to a story headlined something like, "President Bush: I'm open to new ideas on Iraq"

Amazing how quickly someone can pick up some humility when the wind is blowing the wrong way.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll what's wrong with america you!
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh, I don't believe he really is. And, I don't believe the Democrats will actually work with him or the Republicans. At least the good news as a conservative Repub is nothing will get done for two years.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming what you said is true, it will be different from the last few years how?
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
How is it at all a good thing that nothing gets done? That just means we'll be stuck in the same crummy place voters wanted to get away from with this election. I want change for the better.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a good thing because all the Democrats want is what I don't want. I voted Republican. I didn't vote for change. If anything, I voted for a more Conservative group than ever before. Sadi Arabia is looking better and better all the time. Just wish I was a Muslim.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
occasional I hope that part about saudi arabia was hyperbole.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

So do I.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: The Independent vs. Democrat thing from earlier. I saw on C-Span today that Lieberman was asked whether he wanted to be put down as a Democrat of an Independent. It took him all afternoon to get back to them* because he had to go strong arm Harry Reid into giving him his committee chairmanship, but then he told them he wanted to be listed as a Democrat.

*I don't remember if this was the people from C-Span or the people from Congressional Quarterly speaking.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

I want better access to education and health care, better living conditions through higher wages, an exit strategy for Iraq so our troops can return to their families, a government with less corruption and unwillingness to hear the opinions of others, and a healthier economy. Things that Republicans are not delivering - that's why they were voted out on their butts.

It's interesting that you're happy with the way things are. If you want to move to Saudi Arabia, feel free to.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

I was happy in the direction things were going. And I am not free to move to Sadi Arabia, as I am not Muslim. Now, if there was a Christian equivalant that would be great.
jh
Member # 7727

You were happy that we were spending billions of dollars a year in Iraq with no strategy on how to leave with increasing US and Iraqi civilian casualties, corrupt government officials, limiting civil liberties, and big business running roughshod over everything. That's where we were going.

To each his or her own I guess. I find it ironic that Republicans stand for small government and responsible fiscal spending and they did the complete opposite with the creation of Homeland Security and record deficit levels.

You are free to leave the United States. I was sure considering it with the way things were going in this country.

[ November 09, 2006, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: jh ]

Occasional
Member # 5860

Frankly, I didn't think those "problems" were more than the usual liberal bias. I am not a small government Republican (unless the Democrats are in charge), I am a strong social Conservative.
jh
Member # 7727

It speaks for itself that Republicans were so disenchanted with the way things were going they themselves voted for Democratic candidates, whether they were liberal or moderate. Exit polls show that Democrats were elected based on Iraq, corruption, and the economy, so I guess conservative Republicans considered them problems that needed fixing. It wasn't just a "liberal bias." As well, a higher percentage of independents than ever before voted Democratic as well.

If things were going spendidly under Republican leadership and people were happy, Republicans would've retained majority power in Congress. But they performed horribly and that's why Democrats were elected into office. Now it's time to see what they do with that power.

Occasional
Member # 5860

That is because the media went on a lying bias spree. People bought it.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish there was a place to run to get away from you people's votes. Everywhere else in the world is an "Even Worse"

Why can't people just mind their own freaking business?

No, I don't want to have my money taken away from me by force of law to fund your pet project.

No, We shouldn't give special rights to heterosexuals. Equal rights are for all. It's none of anyone elses business who marries whom.

You're all a bunch of Busy Bodies.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

LOL. I doubt it; people were sick of waiting for their families to come back from a senseless war with no idea of when that would happen and corrupt government officials who disrespected the offices they were elected to and the people who elected them to those offices. But if you favor corruption, maybe you should consider moving to the Phillippines. It's rampant there. And, you don't even have to be Muslim.

On social issues, I equate opposition to gay marriage to the same prejudice that led to laws prohibiting whites and blacks from marrying so many years ago. At the time people thought they had great reasons for it but finally realized that it was a violation of civil rights and really, extremely foolish. It takes time for society to accept that just because it's unusual doesn't make it bad.

narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
Sadi Arabia is looking better and better all the time. Just wish I was a Muslim.

I don't see anything stopping you. I'm sure Islam would love another convert, and Saudi Arabia would love another person to oppress.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
Re: The Independent vs. Democrat thing from earlier. I saw on C-Span today that Lieberman was asked whether he wanted to be put down as a Democrat of an Independent. It took him all afternoon to get back to them* because he had to go strong arm Harry Reid into giving him his committee chairmanship, but then he told them he wanted to be listed as a Democrat.

*I don't remember if this was the people from C-Span or the people from Congressional Quarterly speaking.

Well I think we ALL saw that coming. Quite frankly, since Lieberman is the one handing the Senate to the Democrats, DESPITE the fact that they tried to more or less run him out of it, I think he'd be a fool not to bilk everything he could get out of Harry Reid.

At the very least, it was the price Reid and the Dmeocratic leadership paid for trying to shoehorn him out the door. I'll bet you anything Republicans would have given him almost ANYTHING he wanted had he gone to them looking for a real. Bernie Sanders is stuck, because he's further to the left than pretty much everyone else, so he can't really try to play the sides off each other, everyone knows he isn't voting with the Republicans, regardless of the fact that he calls himself an Independent.

Lieberman, and Reid, got what they deserved.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
If you meant even a little bit of, "Saudi Arabia is looking better all the time," Occassional...you aren't a Rebulican or an American conservative, not by any definition I or any of the many conservative Republicans I know would use. Conservative Republicans should be among the government of Saudi Arabia's most devoted enemies.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it how when the United States gets more conservative, liberals can be all like "That's it, I'm moving to Canada. Or Europe."

And if it gets more liberal, the conservatives can be all like "That's it, I'm moving to ..

.. um, ..

ummm .."

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, Occasional's shtick isn't a joke?

AAH

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I like it how when the United States gets more conservative, liberals can be all like "That's it, I'm moving to Canada. Or Europe."

And if it gets more liberal, the conservatives can be all like "That's it, I'm moving to ..

.. um, ..

ummm .."

Well, if they want to move to a really religious conservative state....the Middle East would certainly look attractive.

Other than that, looks like they have to suck it up and tough it out with the mean, mean liberals.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.