FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Midterm Election 2006 Results/Commentary Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Midterm Election 2006 Results/Commentary Thread
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam_S:
My second time voting.

Today?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Yes, Twinky, of course we should continue to "work on modifying the system so that it's more secure." I notice you said more secure, not perfectly secure. So the question really is, what percentage of insecurity are we willing to live with? Because unless you specify perfectly secure, and it can actually be attained, then we will have to live with some percentage of insecurity in the voting system.

That's true. However, as insecure electronic voting machines have spread throughout the U.S., the system has become progressively less secure. In other words, I think you've been moving in the wrong direction.

So far, I haven't seen an electronic system in widespread deployment in the U.S. that isn't more vulnerable to fraud -- and fraud on a larger scale -- than paper systems are, which I think is a reasonable argument in favour of sticking with paper (as my own country [is doing, at least so far]).

The other side of the coin, though, is that with so much on each ballot, electronic voting is probably a lot simpler in American elections, which makes it an attractive option to streamline the voting process. Here in Canada there's usually only one thing on the ballot in a given election (municipal elections being the exception), which means paper voting is still comparatively easy.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
My predictions on interesting/close Senate races:
Sadly, Leibermann will beat Lamont. Lamont ran a good campaign, but independents + republicans + some democrats supporting Joe will just be too much to overcome.
hmmm, I just saw a report about record turnout in CT, like 70%. That might be good for Lamont, but I'm sticking with my Joe win prediction.

Webb beats Allen by 3-5% in Virginia. Allen made too many missteps to win.

In TN, Corker bests Harold Ford by 1-3%. Ford had a good campaign, but not good enough I think.

In MT, Burns will go down in flames to Tester, by 5%+
Burns came across as clueless in several statements, like when he criticized firefighters during a brush fire. [Dont Know]
Or when he said there was a "secret plan to win in Iraq."

MO is too close to call.

In MD, I hope the Democrat Cardin can pull it off. I'll give him the nod, but it's the prediction I have the least confidence in.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot:
Ohio--Dems could run the board in all major races here, due to many recent Republican scandals. They will certainly do very, very well here even if it's not a clean sweep. (hardly a dramatic prediction.)

and PA--bye, Ricky! Santorum to lose by 6%+.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Two hours until the polls close in the East, where almost all of the really important races are. Most analysts say that everything east of the Mississippi is what will decide the election, though there are a lot of important gains to be had for Democrats in Colorado, the senate seat in Montana, and a sprinkling of House seats elsewhere.

No one has really done a real look at the House, which is understandable, it's a lot of information to sift through:

Republicans stand to pickup only two seats, both are in Georgia, and both will be the result of gerrymandering, which worked so well in Texas for them two years ago. I have to imagine there will be a similar court battle as there was in Texas. But this isn't a give away, they are still toss-ups by most anaylst's current thoughts.

Democrats are heavily involved in 50 hotly contested, down to the wire races. And almost all of those are Republican held districts. I won't go through them all, there's just too many. But most Republicans are considering a miracle day to be only losing 14 seats, and holding onto the House. I'd be curious to hear the thought process that Dag and Occ. used in projecting a Republicans hold on the House. It's not out of the question, low voter turnout (from rain or apathy), election fraud, polls being wrong (in who they poll, what questions that ask) and Republican tendencies to surge just before an election all play a role. But polls aren't usually wrong on that large a scale.

Also not discussed were the gubanatorial races, where Democrats are expected to pick up at least a half dozen new states, and a few state legislatures are expected to change over as well.

The thing about Maryland, is while it is the bluest of blue states, the Republicans running a black senate candidate is going to be a coup for them. They'll steal away 20% of the black vote at least. A bad day for the Democrats is if they get 35% or more of the black vote, which could be a death knell for Cardin. State black leaders have endorsed Cardin, while many secretly protest his politics. From the outside, it looks like black voters simply want a black man representing them, regardless of his political views, but judging from the minority of black voters he's likely to get, I'd call that a false assumption. Black voters will decide that election.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not used to living in Nebraska. Ben Nelson is about as much a Democrat as OSC is, but the guy he is running against is considerably farther to the right than Nelson.

I'd guess the divide is something like:

<LEFT---------------------|--------N-----R------RIGHT>

Where N is Nelson and R is Ricketts. I almost feel like I have to vote against Ricketts, having one of his campaign planks the promise to push for a gay marriage ammendment [Roll Eyes] , but voting for Nelson may make me pinch my nose as I vote.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd post all the data I have collected on the matter but here is my projection.

Dems take a majority in the house

Reps keep their majority in the senate.

It will be interesting to see if GWB is a lame duck president his last year in office.

Every news outlet I have been reading keeps saying, "Dems all the way baby!" I really don't think that's going to be the case.

Polls close in 1.5 hours on the east coast I believe. Get out and vote.

As a side note, I really think its interesting the direction Arizona is heading. Its pretty much a republican stronghold for the senate but there are districts that might actually go to democrats either now or in the near future. In the next 8 years I can see it being a battleground state.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Santorum, I think, is out.

Maryland will probably go to Cardin and O'Malley [for governor]. Duncan would've been good -- he was a great exec for MoCo -- but he pulled out of the race earlier this year.

I have a gut feeling that says Allen will pull through OK. Close and probably not well enough to be a viable candidate for President, but OK.

I don't think Ford will win in TN, though it'll be close.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I like Ben Nelson. Not necessarily his politics, but he seems like a nice enough guy.

Mostly because his nickname is "Benator" which I think is funny. He seemed like an honestly likeable, nice, engaging guy when he was on the Daily Show.

His politics don't bother me too much. He's to the right of maybe five or six Republican senators, the more liberal ones. But really, what the nation needs is more bi-partisan, centrist senators, not less, so he's fine by me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the problem is that all his commercials in Nebraska are trying to sway the conservative masses here, because even his own commercials point out how far to the right he is on issues, especially immigration.

Ricketts: "I'm far right on this issue"

Nelson: "I'm even farther to the right on this issue"

Me: *groan*

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Y'know, for some odd reason I just typed election.google.com into my browser and expected it to work. Would've been neat.

Current projected winners @ 7:00 PM :

Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Richard Lugar (R-IN)

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyr: I agree we need more Bi Partisans.

*grin*

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Newest projections:

Ballot Proposals:
VA Marriage amendment will pass.

House Winners - Numbers to the right indicate gain/loss from other party:
5 Dem +1
5 Repub
0 Indpen -1

Senate Winners:
Bernie Sanders (I)
Lugar (R-IN)
Byrd (D-WV)

Gubanatorial Winners:
Strickland (D-OH)*

*denotes change in party

(I've edited this post like a half dozen times already, trying to keep it current, I'll continue to do so until it falls too far down).

With 10% of the precincts reporting:

Virginia:
Allen (R) 55%
Webb (D) 44%
Parker (O) 1%

[ November 07, 2006, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

If the Marriage Amendment has passed, I'm fairly certain that Allen will win in Virginia.

It's also worth noting that according to the exit polls, Independents made the difference in VT-01 , where there was no incumbant canidate.

--j_k

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Lyr, I really appreciate the updates. Would you mind copying and pasting to a new post each time instead of editing? I think it'd be cool to have a record of what we knew when. You could use the quote button and it'd be just as many clicks for you. [Smile]

If you're changing it ridiculously often, maybe a new post every half hour so.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No prob Dag. The only reason I was editing and not posting was that I didn't want this to become a giant thread of Lyrhawn posts full of numbers, I thought it would turn people off. But I'd be more than happy to. I don't mind updating every ten minutes, I have the night off work, and all I'm doing is staring at CNN/CBS and watching NCIS. So with that in mind:

Newest projections:

Ballot Proposals:

30 Dem +2
16 Repub -1
0 Indpen -1

Senate Winners:
Bernie Sanders (I)
Lugar (R-IN)
Byrd (D-WV)
Snowe (R-ME)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Casey (D-PA)*

Gubanatorial Winners:
Strickland (D-OH)*
Patrick (D-MA)*

*denotes change in party

(I've edited this post like a half dozen times already, trying to keep it current, I'll continue to do so until it falls too far down).

Key Senate Races:

Virginia (39% precincts reporting):
Allen (R) 49%
Webb (D) 50%
Parker (O) 1%

Ohio (1% precincts reporting):
Dewine (R) 43%
Brown (D) 57%

Tennessee (2% precincts reporting):
Corker (R) 55%
Ford (D) 45%

[ November 07, 2006, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing that so many races are neck and neck.

Except for Florida, where Nelson pretty much walked right over Katherine Harris to the surprise of absolutely no one except possibly Ms. Harris.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
MA is going to deval patrick, D* for governor.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'll do another full update at 8:50, but I wanted to throw these two House races in the mix.

Georgia 08 (7% precincts)
Collins (R) 51%
Georgia (D) 49%

Georgia 12 (4% precincts)
Burns (R) 65%
Barrow(D) 35%

Both races have Democratic incumbents, both are the leftovers of districts gerrymandered by the Republicans. These are pretty much the ONLY two seats Republicans are expected to pick up, but they will both be very competitive.

Keep in mind, that with all these races, WHICH districts have their precincts reporting is key, but as the number gets past the 50% mark or so, don't expect to see numbers fluctuate too wildly. For example, if all of southern VA were to report, and Allen was ahead by 10%, that could easily change for Webb once heavily Democratic northern VA voted. Take everything with a grain of salt.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick Santorum just got shown the door in a rather enthusiastic manner THUS MAKING THE ENTIRE ELECTION WORTHWHILE

No, I'm serious. He'll be sitting on an icepack for months after this election.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The election must be over. Gas prices were 20cents higher this evening than they were this morning.

OK It couldn't be that obvious of a conspiracy, but the timing made me laugh.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Newest projections:

Ballot Proposals:

48 Dem +2
34 Repub -1
0 Indpen -1

Senate Winners:
Dewine(D-OH)*
Casey (D-PA)*

Gubanatorial Winners:
Strickland (D-OH)*
Patrick (D-MA)*
Spitzer (D-NY)*

*denotes change in party

Key Senate Races:

Virginia (62% precincts reporting):
Allen (R) 50%
Webb (D) 49% (down by 16,000 votes)
Parker (O) 1%

Tennessee (7% precincts reporting):
Corker (R) 55%
Ford (D) 45%

Missouri (1% precincts reporting):
McCaskill (D) 51%
Talent (R) 46%
Other: (L/I) 3%

Connecticut (1% precincts reporting):
Lieberman (I) 47%
Lamont (D) 42%
Schlesinger (R) 10%

Marland (0% precincts)
Cardin (D) 0%
Steele (R) 0%

House:

Georgia 08 (28% precincts)
Collins (R) 51%
Georgia (D) 49%

Georgia 12 (24% precincts)
Burns (R) 56%
Barrow(D) 44%

I've decided, to keep this a shorter post, to remove some of the more obvious winners, and to only report some winners when it's a changeover. If anyone has any requests for me to update on, post them.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

I think Lieberman is going to hold on to CT, for now.

Independents in VA are leaning toward Webb, slightly, but the Republican GOTV seems to be making a difference. As of right now, Webb's leading by less than 100 votes.

--j_k

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Two things to consider, with those James:

1. The higher the vote Schlesinger gets in CT, the lower Lieberman's vote will be. His victory hingest on Republicans voting for him, in the hopes of a moderate Democrat winning, rather than voting for a Republican they know will lose. So, if you start to see Schlesinger's numbers go above 10-15%, look out for a Lamont comeback.

2. Democrats, in VA anyway, created this year a GOTV effort that mirrors what the Republicans did. They have phone banks, volunteers canvasing neighborhoods, and offering to drive little old ladies to their precincts. Democrats realize that this is an equalizer, and they are venturing into Republican territory too. It still isn't as well set up or funded as the Republicans' is, but this is a set up for 2008. Look for Republican gains from this to be LESS than they have been in past years.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ballot Proposals:
AZ English as official language will pass.
MO Raise the minimum wage will pass
OH Raise the minimum wage will pass
SC Ban on Same Sex Marriage will pass
TN Ban on Same Sex Marriage will pass

106 Dem +4 (2IN/1KY/1VT)
87 Repub -3
0 Indpen -1

Senate Winners:
Dewine(D-OH)*
Casey (D-PA)*
Whitehouse (D-RI)*

Gubanatorial Winners:
Strickland (D-OH)*
Patrick (D-MA)*
Spitzer (D-NY)*
O'Malley (D-MD)*

*denotes change in party

Key Senate Races:

Virginia (82% precincts reporting):
Allen (R) 50%
Webb (D) 49% (down by 28,000 votes)(reports that the Democratic north hasn't been counted yet)
Parker (O) 1%

Tennessee (38% precincts reporting):
Corker (R) 51%
Ford (D) 48% (39,000 down)
Five Independents - 1%

Missouri (9% precincts reporting):
McCaskill (D) 44%
Talent (R) 53%
Other: (L/I) 3%

Connecticut (14% precincts reporting):
Lieberman (I) 46% (projected by CNN to win)
Lamont (D) 43%
Schlesinger (R) 10%

Marland (7% precincts)
Cardin (D) 46% (projected by CNN to win)
Steele (R) 52%

House:

Georgia 08 (42% precincts)
Collins (R) 51%
Georgia (D) 49%

Georgia 12 (39% precincts)
Burns (R) 56%
Barrow(D) 44%

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel my rights slowly getting sucked away from me.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Santorum conceded. My world is complete.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Graciously too. But then, he had to.

Everyone is still talking about a possible run by Santorum for the White House in 2 years, and it isn't that crazy. Giuliani and McCain are the two names most popular with Republicans nationwide right now for Presidential candidates. But they aren't social conservatives. Running them will steal away a few democratic votes, but the number of social conservative Republicans that it forces to stay home is much, much larger.

Santorum has a real chance of jumping ahead to be a Republican, very conservative favorite.

Ned Lamont is conceding - 10:15pm being down 10% with 21% of the vote counted. CT

[ November 07, 2006, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

kojabu
Member # 8042

If Santorum runs for president in 2 years, I'm going to cry.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Oy, Maryland is taking its time...

--j_k

blacwolve
Member # 2972

Lamont just conceded.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from Harris, whom everybody expected to lose, it looks like the Republicans haven't lost any ground in Florida. In particular, the local news outlets are already calling the gubernatorial race for Charlie Crist.

[Roll Eyes]

I've been following Crist's career since he ran for and won education commissioner. He's a careerist, and has made an art out of promising stuff he has no intention of delivering. He also ran a dirty campaign full of smear ads. Not that Jim Davis looked like a great choice to me either, but I believe he was definitely the lesser of two evils.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My 14-year-old son is particularly dismayed that Crist seems to be winning, as he was hoping to see the FCAT go away. We tried to explain to him that Davis wasn't planning on removing it, just its status as sole arbiter of school and teacher worth, but I don't think he got it. Or our explanation of what a "single issue voter" is...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

I encourage you all to read the BBCNews election blog. They're written from an outsider's perspective so some of the postings are rather amusing.

--j_k

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ballot Proposals:
AZ English as official language will pass.
MO Raise the minimum wage will pass
OH Raise the minimum wage will pass
SC Ban on Same Sex Marriage will pass
TN Ban on Same Sex Marriage will pass
MT Raise the Minimim Wage will pass
NV Raise the Minimum Wage will pass
WI Ban on Same Sex Marriage will pass

129 Dem +6 (2IN/1KY/1VT/1NH/1OH)
118 Repub -5
0 Indpen -1

Senate Winners:
Dewine(D-OH)*
Casey (D-PA)*
Whitehouse (D-RI)*

Gubanatorial Winners:
Strickland (D-OH)*
Patrick (D-MA)*
Spitzer (D-NY)*
O'Malley (D-MD)*

*denotes change in party

Key Senate Races:

Virginia (94% precincts reporting):
Allen (R) 50%
Webb (D) 49% (down by 30,000 votes)(at least one heavily democratic, well populated county not yet counted)
Parker (O) 1%

Tennessee (64% precincts reporting):
Corker (R) 52%
Ford (D) 47% (62,000 down)
Five Independents - 1%

Missouri (22% precincts reporting):
McCaskill (D) 43%
Talent (R) 53%
Other: (L/I) 4%

Connecticut (30% precincts reporting):
Lieberman (I) 48% (projected by CNN to win)
Lamont (D) 40% (has conceded)
Schlesinger (R) 10%

Marland (31% precincts)
Cardin (D) 49% (projected by CNN to win)
Steele (R) 49%

Montana (1% precincts)
Tester (D) 52%
Burns (R) 46%

House:

Georgia 08 (56% precincts)
Collins (R) 52%
Georgia (D) 48%

Georgia 12 (66% precincts)
Burns (R) 51%
Barrow(D) 49%

blacwolve
Member # 2972

How do you stand up the president and then win a governor's race?

I don't even like the president, and that makes me angry.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

By standing up a president that wasn't bringing you any votes anyway. By being the Republican candidate following a reasonably popular Republican candidate. By being more widely known than your opponent. By mercilessly hammering your opponent on your opponent's attendance record.

Really, Davis is a political nobody and he pulled nearly half the vote. He did good.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

WI Ban on Same Sex Marriage will pass

*sad sigh* We tried. I'm sorry.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Oh, and it looks like every single ammendment is passing again (EDIT: in Florida, land of comfortable pigs). [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually more concerned with issues 4 and 5 in Ohio than the election results. At the moment, both are passing, but 4 is a constitutional amendment, whereas 5 is a law. 4 will trump 5, which in my opinion, is a bad thing.

note: issue 4 is smoke-LESS ohio, which would allow businesses to choose whether or not to be smoke free, but lifts all city-wide bans on public smoking and prevents anymore from being passed.
issue 5 is smoke-FREE ohio, which would ban smoking in all public places in ohio.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Worse than the attendance thing was the out of context ads on how Jim Davis wanted to tax everything in sight, liked to kick dogs, and hated your grandma.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Louisiana is apparently smoke-free starting at the beginning of next year.

They've run all these annoying ads with stupid children going, "THANK YOU LOUISIANA FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS...AND LUNGS!"

It's all I can do not to throw something.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I like being able to breathe in a restaurant.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well I don't! [Mad]
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone can breathe just fine in the restaurants now. Eliminating smoking everywhere is stupid.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting that the backlash against Republicans most significantly affects the moderate Republicans in the northeast. I wish that the northeast could keep their Republicans, while the South would lose some of theirs.

I mean, a Republican in Massachusetts or New Jersey is almost a Democrat anywhere else - for example, Kean (R-NJ) was pro-choice, pro-gun control, and pro-Iraq pullout.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

My BBC News feed says that the Dems have taken over the House; I'm wondering if that's a bit premature.

FC, I'm noticing the same thing. It's a shame, because this country needs more moderates.

I'm hoping this election isn't just driving the red and blue states farther apart.

--j_k

Tinros
Member # 8328

Smoke less ohio failed, smoke free ohio passed! My asthma will improve now!

*does happy dance*

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I think so.

Ic - I saw the commercial that threatened in horror-movie-tones that Davis would eliminate Florida's tax exemptions. That was when I decided to vote for him.

Tinros
Member # 8328

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Everyone can breathe just fine in the restaurants now. Eliminating smoking everywhere is stupid.

-pH

Actually, there have been plenty of times I've had to leave a restaurant because of someone smoking irritating my asthma. And I was sitting in the non-smoking section.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.