FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why I really hate Dora the Explorer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why I really hate Dora the Explorer
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
They yell all the time! Every emotion is shock, horror, or some kind of perpetual (fake) joy. Every line in the show is in that tone of voice that patronizing adults use with small children.

"Which one is the big yellow flower?!"

"noooooooooot that one!"

"is it (pause) thiiiiiiis one?"

"YAY! THE BIG YELLOW FLOWER! LA FLORA AMARILLA!"

and then they walk around a bit more and get in sudden danger.

"OH NO! A T-REX!"

"WHAT SHOULD WE DO?!? A T-REX!"

and then they say something totally inane like,

"LOOK! THE COMPUTER TRAIL GUIDE TELLS US THAT A T-REX CAN'T SEE YOU IF YOU HOLD STILL!"

thus propagating some fake science on top of it all.

What ever happened to Mr. Rogers? He was so nice and calm and soothing. He never yelled at me or told me how to say "Jurrasic Park is a valid scientific source" in Spanish.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny. That was Porter's reaction to Dora too, that they are yelling all the time--basically that their normal "talking" voices are yelling. It was weird because I didn't think of it that way.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Rogers was my favorite when I was little. Though I kept getting confused when I wanted to see the movie Mr. Roberts (starring Harry Fonda) and would be unable to remember which one was Mr. Rogers and which was Mr. Roberts...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I like a lot of children's programming. I like Blue's Clues, Sesame Street, Teletubbies. Dora isn't educational or entertaining. It's just loud!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

You should get teh Nova channel, that's great programming for kids, nothing but Nova programs!

(I wish there was a Nova channel [Cry] )

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What ever happened to Mr. Rogers?
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust...
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I have often thought there is not enough Nova in the world. If there were a "Nova Channel", I would watch it. [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
You should get teh Nova channel, that's great programming for kids, nothing but Nova programs!
Oh man, you got my hopes up there for a minute. [Frown]

The Discovery Channel used to be great, but now it's the True Crime Channel. I really wish they had a Nova Channel.

Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm pretty sure you don't get the cooking channel, but if you do, you should totally watch that, everyone young and old loves the cooking channel!

Well not everything on it, Emril for instance is one of the 4 horseman...

Hobbes [Smile]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like Dora the Explorer for that exact reason. Of course I don't like Bob the Builder for being the exact opposite(its too quiet and calm)...........but it doesn't really matter..............what we need is another old guy who sings while tying his shoes...........anyone up for the job???
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey now, Emeril rocks! He is the quintessential Rhode Islandah [Big Grin]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you just tape Nova whenever it is on?

I don't know, there is something about tuning in to see a show when it is on.

Nova Channel. Bah. Couldn't you have made that lie funny somehow?

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah- Dora promotes the pagan practice of worshipping in groves on hilltops.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, the weirdest of all is the Poombahs, or something. WHAT ARE THEY??? They make Teletubbies look like folks you would have over for dinner.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I believe they're a sort of tribal version of Teletubbies?

I don't know which are creepier!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, the new ones, for sure! They are terrifying!

Boobahs. And they are flatulent!!

http://pbskids.org/boohbah/boohbah.html

http://pbskids.org/boohbah/jumpingboohs.html

[ January 15, 2005, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Yes, I guess something that appears to be peeking out of its own torso is quite creepy. No wonder they don't talk, they don't have mouths!
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently all you have to do to stop someone from stealing your things is to yell a derivative of their name that means to steal and tell them not to do it.

And all songs must consist of about three words or less. For example : "I'm the map."

Why do little kids like watching this stuff? I swear I didn't when I was younger.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ha ha!
So they communicate by farting. What language is that, do you know?

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

I'm sorry, but that's funny.

In a really sad way.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What ever happened to Mr. Rogers?
He died. So far as we are aware at this time, that precludes his making any more shows.

I do agree, though, that Mr. Rogers was excellent children's programming. I watched it all the time, along with Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow, and Square One Television.

I don't watch contemporary children's programming, because there are no children living in my home. So for the most part, I'm not forced to see what any of it is like. My sister does have children, and they seem to enjoy Dora. What little I've seen of it bugged the crap out of me. Dora does yell too much, and that bloody map song . . . argh!

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen Dora, but a little girl I babysit loves it. Maybe because Dora looks like her, and speaks a bit of spanish, maybe just because it has bright colors. Sophia is almost 3 and was adopted from Guatamala in fall of 2002.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Hmmm, as a kid I didn't really like children's programming. The only one I loved was Reading Rainbow, but I was always very confused about how Geordi could see.
beverly
Member # 6246

NFL, I agree that "Dora" has an amazing lack of basis in reality, even when compared to the fluffy Saturday morning cartoons we used to watch.

It also seems like a lot of children's educational shows are so dumbed down. Sesame Street is a prime example. I think I would still enjoy watching the episodes I loved as a kid. Now they are just innane. Everything has to follow a boring pattern. Ugh. Before you never knew what you were getting.

No doubt today's children's ed programs entertain and hold their interest, but I don't think they teach much. Are kids stupider this generation? I don't think so.

Blue's Clues seems to send really mixed messages as to what age level it is for. As far as I'm concerned, Teletubbies teaches that if you make a mess, someone else will clean it up for you. And Boobah is supposed to get children to be active while watching, since apparently they were too mesmerized by Teletubbies. But they are *more* mesmerized by Boobah, not less! They don't "get up and dance" with the Boobahs as intended. Nah, they just laugh at them.

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Stave it off, 1,2,3 and now you can count to three.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Reading Rainbow. I loved the flying pig story and the one about the Russian easter eggs.
Shocking that I still remember those. I also used to watch Mr. Rogers but HATED that speedy delivery guy because he was very, very annoying. I did like the trolley alot and the owl that liked Ben Franklin.
Arthur and Berenstein Bears are kind of cool. I really liked the Arthur books a lot when I read them to kids in Americorps. In fact, I liked the books more than the kids did.

Stave it off! [ROFL]

[ January 15, 2005, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Boohbahs look like really fat belly dancers with veiled faces.

I loved Sesame Street, but even Sesame Street is overproduced now. When I was in HS, I loved watching Noggin-- non-stop re-runs of classic kids' programming!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

We don't have Noggin, but from what I have seen, Oobie is amazingly mesmerizing and soothing to the soul....
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Boobahs look scary. Especially the toys
Creepy. [Angst]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
@Hobbes - Henry Fonda [Big Grin] Made lots of good movies

Harry Fonda was an early 20th century California landscape artist.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Mr Rogers as a kid. But I always laugh when I think about it now. I mean, how can it be a beautiful day in the neighborhood when you've got 150 factories in the same town? But for the most part, I'm glad they had the foresight to change Mr. Rogers's name from Fred McFeely to Mr. Rodgers (And they decided to name the mailman Mr. McFeely, for some odd reason.) For some reason, I don't think Mr. McFeely's Neighborhood would have made it past the parent radar [Big Grin]

As for Boobah...Did anyone else get the idea that maybe Homestar Runner got ripped off with that show? I mean, in silhouette, those things TOTALLY look like Pom-Pom.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh, I miss Square One! You know what else was great? 3-2-1 Contact.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I always used to get super excited about MathNet.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

"This story is a fib."
Boris
Member # 6935

Square one was the bomb [Smile] I always looked forward to Mathman.

Mathman, mathman, mathman.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I always loved the songs they'd come up with.

[sings]Probability, don't you mess with me. Help me make the most of a chaaaance. . .[/sings]

[sings]I night, the stars were glowin', II hearts were overflowin', III woooooords. . .[/sings]

[sings]Nine, nine, nine. That crazy number nine. Times any number you can find, it all comes back to nine![/sings]

[sings]One million is big, one billion is bigger. One thousand times one million. That's one billion![/sings]

I really wish they'd put Square One back on the air. Or at least release it on DVD. Now that was a show that was always educational and never condescending. Unquestionably, one of the finest children's programs ever produced.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Hmmm, I always hated square one because it always (and still does) bothered me when each scene is not connected to the others (yes, I am not a SNL fan).

But I loved Mathnet, probably because I was a Dragnet fan as a kid.

[ January 15, 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: MyrddinFyre ]

Boris
Member # 6935

I still remember the palindrome song. Not the words, just the fact that they had a palindrome song, and that I will always remember what a palindrome is because of it.
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
One million is big, one billion is bigger. One thousand times one million. That's one billion!
I remember that to this day! Wasn't it Run DMC who was singing it? That little rhyme comes in so handy. I think it was that same episode that taught me: one million seconds is 11 days. One billion seconds is 32 years.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I met Mr. Rogers when I was a kid...I was too shy to talk to him (if you can imagine that, me being shy... [Big Grin] ) like the other kids, but at the end of the plane ride he came over to me and gave me a picture of himself, signed, and shook my hand.

Mr parents grew up in the same general area he was from, and my mom recently told me that they knew people in the neighborhood, and that Mr. Rogers was on of the kindest and most unassuming people they had ever met, and that everyone in the neighborhood thought he was great.

It restored my faith in PBS a bit to know that he was the same in RL as he was on his show...a man who adored children and wanted nothing from them but to help them learn and grow.

He is sorely missed.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

"I ain't got no body" Talking heads. hee!
I thought it was "Help me make the ghost of a chance...
*wonders why I still remember all these things*

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

The chorus ran:

Probability
Don't you mess with me
Help me make the most of a chance
Maybe win or lose
Still, I've got to choose
Long as there's a ghost of a chance

Or something very similar, anyway. How's that for a why-on-earth-do-you-remember-that moment?

[ January 15, 2005, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I still remember the Bionix Six Theme

Bionic Bionix six, oooo oooo. We stand together, we fight for right. ect
Or the Thundercat's theme...
And a host of other stuff like that. My brain is the Encyclopaedia Esoterica, it's an attic of useless things.

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I met Mr. McFeely last year.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well not everything on it, Emril for instance is one of the 4 horseman...
Let's see, I'm guessing he's not Famine.....

I have not seen Boobah, but I hear it makes you stupider, faster, than Teletubbies. [Angst]

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Emeril? He's Pestilence, if you ask me.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Hater.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I wouldn't mind Emeril so much if he'd expand his vocabulary beyond twenty words. Even Saturday Night Live doesn't fall back on worn out catchphrases as often as he does.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie: We hate the yelling too. Jes makes fun of it all the time. At bedtime he says in this falsetto: "Goodnight kids! Sleep good in your beds! Where are the beds?! Past the door, on the floor, next to the closet! Door! Floor! Closet!"
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
I wouldn't mind Emeril so much if he'd expand his vocabulary beyond twenty words.
Like I said, the quintessential Rhode Islandah. Gotta love it.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.