FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What book introduced you to OSC? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What book introduced you to OSC?
Bealz
Member # 1638

- posted      Profile for Bealz   Email Bealz         Edit/Delete Post 
Capitol, which made me look for OSC's name on the covers of Analog, Amazing, and Isaac Asimov. Still my favorite, too.

[This message has been edited by Bealz (edited February 14, 2001).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Frowned
Member # 1639

- posted      Profile for Frowned   Email Frowned         Edit/Delete Post 
I started with Ender's Game, in the form of an Electronic Text. Yeah, I know it's bad, it's worse than MP3's but half way through I bought the hardcopy.

From EG I went through the rest of the series... Then Homecoming... Then Ender's Shadow... Now I'm more than halfway through the Alvin Saga, I'm reading Alvin Journeyman.

It's not bad considering I only started in April!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I read EG the year the novel came out. I read it on vacation two or three times in a row, and just about every year since then. I have been trying for 15 years to get other people to read it, but haven't found anyone outside of this website who has. I like most of the other books, but I couldn't get through the Homecoming series. I am planning on reading the book of Mormon and trying again this summer.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArranHandully
Member # 1635

- posted      Profile for ArranHandully   Email ArranHandully         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first post to any Hatrack River forum, so I will relate my history of coming to appreciate OSC somewhat fully.

My first exposure to OSC was reading the novel Ender's Game in sixth grade, on the recommendation of my science teacher. I must say that unlike many young readers, I at that time found the majority of the story to be full of pretentious moralizing. The "Speaker for the Dead" chapter I found precious. I don't think I even ever puzzled out what was going on in the Locke-Demosthenes subplot. Overall, the novel left a bad taste in my mouth. (It must be remembered that at that time I thought that the Dragonlance Chronicles and Joe Dever's Lone Wolf choose-your-own-adventure RPG books were the height of speculative fiction. I have since rejected Dragonlance totally, but I am still fond of Lone Wolf as a fun and undemanding picaresque adventure series.)

For quite some time after that I had no exposure to OSC. In the summer after eleventh grade I bought a used copy of How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy, because I remembered the author to be the same one who wrote Ender's Game. I thought it was an interesting behind-the-scenes look at sf and was particularly impressed by his insistence that most of the deep meaning in stories and poems is not consciously put there by the author. That previous school year I had written an English term paper (for which I got an A!) in which I had worked out an ingenious and amazingly subtle "hidden" pattern of references to solitude and society in Robert Frost's book North of Boston, which elucidated a trite theme (the two must be balanced) with the incredible delicacy of innumerable shades of meaning. (My classes had led me to believe that this was the point of all literature, so monkey see monkey do.) Thus OSC's simple and convincing arguments about the role of the unconscious in imaginative writing came as a shock, but since it came after I had bled all my enthusiasm for Frost dry while writing my paper it was a welcome shock, both for my mind and for my own poems and stories.

The shock didn't last, though. As a senior in college, internalizing the hidden assumptions of both my English professors and literary critics like Harold Bloom, I became obsessed with ranking the works of writers, determined to unlock the secret rules that would enable me to acquire an exalted consciousness and allow poems to spring from my mind at the sight of every tree and stream. As you can guess, my ambitions were frustrated, to my great sorrow. (It was this that drove me away from being an English major, though not from writing.) But at the same time our college library had a subscription to and bound copies of Analog, and remembering from HtWSF&F that OSC had written stories for Analog I looked him up in some old issues. The only story I actually read all the way through was "Lifeloop," but it made me laugh in a way that I didn't think sf could. I read it soon after at an all-night sf reading, and everybody else laughed, too. This story turned me back to thinking about OSC (which explains the origin of my user name).

Soon after, on a whim I searched for OSC on the Web and found Hatrack River. Depressed at the way my own writing career was going, I looked up his writing lessons. As I read them, I realized again how stupid I was to go along with the lifeless view of imaginative writing that my classes had implied was the way to eternal truth. Intrigued, I went back to Ender's Game. Now I realized it had much more passion than I had found (up until then) in most of the reading I had done for my classes, but also that its style would keep it from ever being accepted by the elite guard as serious work. When I went back to a new college for a master's degree (this past fall) I discovered that the college's library had a large collection of OSC. I read the hardcover Maps in a Mirror all the way through and loved it, then read Capitol and enjoyed it also. At this point I had become a fan; soon after this I read in quick succession Seventh Son, The Worthing Saga, and Treason. Most importantly, OSC has shown me that there is hope for my own writing if I am willing to work on it; but he has balanced this view by showing me through his life that writing is a profession like any other, neither more nor less noble or exalted than other callings. I'm looking forward to reading more of him.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, that's quite a history...
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
EvanLJones
Member # 1644

- posted      Profile for EvanLJones           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, I got Ender's Game in 97. It was the best book I had ever read, literally bringing tears to my eyes. The next OSC books I read were in this order:

Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children Of The Mind, Enchantment, Memory Of Earth, (what was the second Homecoming book?) Ships Of Earth, Earthfall, Enchantment, Ender's Shadow, Future On Ice. I'm currently working on Pastwatch.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony
Member # 1665

- posted      Profile for Ebony   Email Ebony         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new to this forum, new to speculative fiction fandoms, and have only been reading Card for about a year. My first Card novel was *Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus*. Since then, I've read the Ender quartet, the Alvin Maker series, and Treasure Box. Next on my list is Enchantment--I just purchased it last week. Before I read his work, I'd read several of his books on writing. If I had one career-related wish, it would be to sit in a creative writing class that OSC is teaching. He is phenomenal--the thing that I like most about him is that he puts the heart into science fiction, a genre which (in my experience) sometimes lacks it.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
trompin64
Member # 731

- posted      Profile for trompin64   Email trompin64         Edit/Delete Post 
I read EG, then forced myself to read SFTD, couldn't finish Xenocide, so skipped Xenocide and COTM, and read Ender's Shadow, now I'm reading SOTH.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elysium
Member # 1705

- posted      Profile for Elysium   Email Elysium         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I started with Ender's Game (of course) after my aunt gave it to me oh, about 4 years ago (when I was 11), and of course I was hooked. OSC books are hard to come by in Singapore (where I am), so I took whatever I could find, which turned out to be The Ships of Earth. I then managed to track down some OSC books at the library, these being Pastwatch: RoCC, The Worthing Saga, Wyrms, The Changed Man and Songmaster, in that order.
Posts: 272 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 

Hehe...it seems that a lot of us have started reading OSC with Ender's Game.

I read Ender's Game when I was in 7th grade. I remember not being able to read anything for weeks. But I didn't touch any other OSC books, not even the Speaker For the Dead, despite how much I loved Ender and how I felt I identified with him (I was smart enough to avoid being tagged as "gifted" during my pre-college years, mainly because I didn't want to have to deal with the extra social pressure. Unfortuantely, I got to college and surprise! I wasn't as academically smart as I thought I was).

My real introduction to OSC's writings came in the form of a paper I had to write two weeks ago, an analytical review of "Maps in a Mirror" (HC). I ate that thing up. I love how the introductions and afterwords bring the reader to a better understanding of OSC and what he saw as important (the story! the story!), and why he wrote. I've been struggling as a writer for several years, trying to come to grips with my seemingly sporadic ability, and these books have helped me tremendously.

Lime

Btw...if you want some really good advice on writing, also try OSC's Character and Perspective.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
draz
Member # 458

- posted      Profile for draz   Email draz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how many came to know OSC through "Ender's Game" - my first taste was the short story and I didn't read the novel until many years later. The first book, however, was "The Seventh Son". Some years later still, I read "Lost Boys" and have never looked back.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Child of the Mind
Member # 1740

- posted      Profile for Child of the Mind           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother first introduced me to Ender's Game by saying it was to old for me when I inquired about it, and after a while I read it anyway, loved it, and thus was introduced to OSC.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
J.R.TURNER
Member # 1774

- posted      Profile for J.R.TURNER   Email J.R.TURNER         Edit/Delete Post 
First story I read by Orson Card was in in the Legend series, a short story called Grinning Man. I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. I was hooked on his witty writing. I went out and bought the whole Alvin Maker series. They were a real treat to read and I will wait patiently for the next in the series
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't muc of a speculative fiction reader until I read LOTR. Then I jumped into several other SF&F stories, and suddenly I had the desire to write. I had not heard of OSC (since I had been in SF&F knowledge infancy) until I bought a copy of How To Write SF&F. It was just sitting there innocently on the shelf, and as I leafed through it it seemed more promising than the others (I also picked up The Craft Of Writing SF That Sells by Ben Bova, then discovered coincidentally their relationship). After having thoroughly enjoyed the reading I went straight for Ender's Game. I soon had a dozen or more Card books on my shelf.
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
powelkzy
Member # 1773

- posted      Profile for powelkzy   Email powelkzy         Edit/Delete Post 
Seventh Son. It was given to me by a friend. What a book!!!! I was enthralled. I found myself wondering. . .
My baby brother (40 years old) is a seventh son. Anyway, I was hooked. I've read every book that OSC has written, except Pastwatch.
I surf the bookstores, waiting for the next . . .

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 1770

- posted      Profile for Wally   Email Wally         Edit/Delete Post 
what book hooked you on the enjoyment reading?

for me, 'Friday' by Heinlein, a woman protagonist, smart, quickly paced. I read everything of his there after, hitting used bookstores as well. This was ~ 9 years ago, a late bloomer, considering that I'd just entered college.

btw, surprise, EG was my intro to OSC

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited April 04, 2001).]

Posts: 91 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord_J
Member # 885

- posted      Profile for Lord_J   Email Lord_J         Edit/Delete Post 
The story that introduced me to osc was
Lost Boy when I was a freshman in high school. Man was it that long ago has time flow bye

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cedrios
Member # 1744

- posted      Profile for Cedrios   Email Cedrios         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in 6th grade, it was reading hour one day, and I had forgotten my book so I went over to the teacher's bookrack, and on a whim just grabbed EG to make it look like I was reading. Sometimes it scares me to think that I might have entirely missed the EG saga if I hadn't done that.
Posts: 3592 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost embarrassed to say this but the first thing i read was "How to write fantasy and science fiction" . In that book Card talks about Ender's Game and Hart's Hope. I think I read Hart's Hope first and then found the Ender's War compilation of EG and SFTD. Ate up those and from a friend found out their was a third book. Randomly just after that, not knowing there were supposed to be more books, happened upon Children of the Mind, just after it came out, in a bookstore. Haven't been able to stop since then.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
kayak1000
Member # 1836

- posted      Profile for kayak1000   Email kayak1000         Edit/Delete Post 
I started with the Grinning Man. I liked the style, and I've never seen anything like it, so I went on to the whole Alvin Maker series. I'm now eagerly awaiting the next book, Crystal City.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Akira Z
Member # 1841

- posted      Profile for Akira Z           Edit/Delete Post 
I read Ender's Game the summer going into my sophomore year of high school for summer reading, and I absolutely loved it! I just read it again a few weeks ago and I loved it even more! Unfortunately, it's the only one I've read. I really want to read the rest- I just need the time.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Malirk
Member # 1835

- posted      Profile for Malirk   Email Malirk         Edit/Delete Post 
My 9th grade teacher assigned the class to read Ender's Game; for extra credit we could read another book in the series and write a summary. I ended up reading all 4 (Children of the Mind had Just come out). Thank you Orson Scott Card for saving me from repeating 9th grade english:0>.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Turin_4
Member # 1662

- posted      Profile for Turin_4   Email Turin_4         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, thinking back, it's a strange story, my introduction to OSC.

I was in my honors chem class, 10th grade (shouldn'tve taken it...bitterly disliked the instructor as a teacher and was unwilling/unable to work enough for the mat'l.) Someone who was a better student in that class had a copy of Ender's Game (ironically, they were reading it for their AP English Language course, which I took a year later).

Being a person of incredible nerd skillz, I asked them if I could read it while I should've been taking notes. What the hell, right? It had some spiffy spaceships on it, and it didn't look very thick or complex from size and cover, y'know? Needless to say, I relearned that adage about books and their covers, and didn't get much done in school for that class or the three after it.

By next year, I had read that one over again, and had picked up copies of the next two and read them (This was before I hadda job, that gave me money to spend on things like books, so forgive the long interlude Hatrackers )

I almost broke my mouth (impossible, I know you're thinking) trying to keep my trap shut about the book, ESPECIALLY when we started covering it in class

Five years later, and there's at least a half dozen OSC books scattered in my mess of a room that I can see as I type, and more probably mixed in the flotsam and jetsam.

Turin_4

Posts: 608 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I could have sworn I had posted on this thread a long time ago. Apparantly not.

I read Ender's Game my sophomore year in high school because my school teaches it to all the sophomores. At first I wasn't overly excited about it because I thought I wouldn't like science fiction. Well you guessed it: once I started I couldn't stop. I read the entire book the day Chapter One was assigned.

Almost all of the class liked it, save a few complaints about the last chapter ("But I don't get it!").

When someone asked the teacher about Speaker for the Dead, he actually discouraged reading it. In fact, the teacher said he didn't like it and didn't bother reading Xenocide. Fortunately, I'm not one to take teachers' advice on reading material and read the rest of the quartet over the summer. Since then I've read (in no particular order): Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Songmaster, Homebody, The Worthing Saga, Seventh Son, The Memory of the Earth, Lost Boys, A Planet Called Treason, probably a couple more I don't recall at the moment, and numerous short stories.

Now I'm addicted to OSC and science fiction.

[This message has been edited by Jeni (edited April 21, 2001).]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Locke*
Member # 1845

- posted      Profile for Locke*           Edit/Delete Post 
I read EG when I was 12 in grade 7.

It became my favorite story right away, and later when I read the rest of the series, and the homecoming series. OSC became my fav writer.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Amontillado
Member # 1926

- posted      Profile for Amontillado   Email Amontillado         Edit/Delete Post 
EG, and as I am an "author" reader as well, the rest of the published books got read out very quickly, and then each as it came out.

If you lack cash, the library is always an option. I got ES and SOTH from the library (my library system had 26 copies, but I was still 72 on the hold list) as well as most of the other OSC books.

Posts: 173 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine
Member # 1037

- posted      Profile for Valentine   Email Valentine         Edit/Delete Post 
My first exposure to OSC was Seventh Son. My dad passed it to me when I was in college and I devoured it. After that I read Ender's Game and was hooked.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jun 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
cdhegy
Member # 1989

- posted      Profile for cdhegy           Edit/Delete Post 
My sophomore year of college I had to write a paper on a book written by a North Carolina author. OSC was on the list. I'd never heard of OSC, so I chose him and trotted over to the library and found Ender's Game. I was completely overwhelmed by the writing and did not put the book down until I had finished it. I was so sucked in to the story I was caught off guard at the "moment of revelation" (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read EG) that I gasped so loud my roomates wondered what had happened.

The next day I called my mother (who LOVES reading as much as I do) and made her go out and get the book so I could talk about it with someone. I have since converted at least 4 people and read a plethora of his books.

Oh, I got an A on the paper.

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1990

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
New to the forum, I think my story is unusualy enough to post.

I was a tremendouc SF reader in high school, but got away from it in college. It has now been 20 years since I have considered myself a reader of science fiction.

Last year I was chatting with an old friend at a party. After one too many margaritas, I suddenly felt the urge to write my own science fiction novel, and I said so out loud. That friend, who is now a top executive in a major manufacturing corporation, recommended that before I write word one I should read Ender's Game.

Time passed. I forgot about my drunken dream of sci-fi glory, but I never forgot my friend's recommendation. Last month I happened to spot EG near the checkout at my neighborhood bookstore. I purchased it, mostly out of duty to my friend.

Naturally, EG rocked my world. I had never read anything like it.

I just finished Speaker for the Dead, only my second OSC book, and I will read Xenocide as soon as I find a copy. In many ways Speaker was superior to Ender's Game. In fact, yesterday my wife asked me whether or not Speaker for the Dead was the best book that I had ever read.

I am still considering my answer to that question.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited May 30, 2001).]

Posts: 329 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
sawhizzo
Member # 1832

- posted      Profile for sawhizzo   Email sawhizzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I read Ender's Game first, in....must have been 5th grade. I can remember reading about Dragon Army, when Ender was 9 and identifying, not with Ender, but with the members of Ender's Army. With the brightest but not the best. I remember worshipping Ender as one of the teachers. Still sort of do, but now the Ender of the later books is my favorite fictional hero. Tried for years to get into SFTD, but couldn't until a couple three years ago. My second Ender's game book was the redemption of pastwatch. His semi historical books, on a writing level, really capture my imagination more than the pure SF ones. But Enderverse has captured my heart.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
thayn
Member # 1991

- posted      Profile for thayn   Email thayn         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend read one of the short stories/essays to me from “A Storyteller in Zion”. He had been telling me to read the Ender’s Series for years so I finally read Ender’s Game. I ended up reading it in less than 2 days. From there I read the rest of the series. Each time I would get one of the books I would read in a 2-3 days. I just couldn’t put them down. Now my wife is starting the series. She loves them.
Posts: 31 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JanusAurora
Member # 886

- posted      Profile for JanusAurora   Email JanusAurora         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny, Jeni - I posted on this topic months ago and forgot all about it until I saw the post today....

Since I started, I've read nearly every novel OSC has written, including the original publishing of The Worthing Chronicle (as opposed the Saga...I know, I know, I'm a freak).... I was thrilled to find it.

My little sis, who is ten, is reading Lost Boys. And so the torch is passed....

Posts: 160 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
LauraKaroline
Member # 1967

- posted      Profile for LauraKaroline   Email LauraKaroline         Edit/Delete Post 
The first OSC book I read was either Seventh Son or Ender's Game (I don't remember which, but I think it was probably SS). My best friend gave it to me to read while we were on tour with drum corps during the summer of '89, I believe. I was desperate for something to read and had no access to either a bookstore or a library, so was "forced" to read this book. I'm SO glad that I did, because OSC has become one of my favorite authors, and I probably wouldn't have ever read anything by him (I tend to be VERY choosy about who I read) if it hadn't been the only thing available to read at that time. I have since read everything I could find of his (some more than once) and keep looking for new books all the time. I am now trying to talk my 39 year old sister into reading OSC, but haven't succeeded yet.
Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
DesignatedLiar
Member # 1997

- posted      Profile for DesignatedLiar           Edit/Delete Post 
Now I feel old. I first read EG because it was in the same book as another sotry that I was trying to track down, Plus X by Eric Frank Russell. Yes, that was EG the short story, the book was Analog's Reader's Choice (or something like that - it was over 15 years ago!)

I read anything that OSC published, as soon as I found out about it. I remember panhandling on the community college campus because someone with incredibly poor taste had sold their copy of The Worthing Chronicles at the used book store. I've read almost everything he's published.

Unfortunately, I've had less time to read now that I have children to care for and a wife to attend to. I've sworn off unfinished series, so I haven't read the latest Alvin book, and I am leaving the lovelock series alone until they're all finished. I couldn't help myself with ES and SOTH, though - read them both as soon as my grubby mitts could cath them.

Posts: 66 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Anzha
Member # 2060

- posted      Profile for Anzha           Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is kind of a dead thread, but I couldn't resist posting and telling ya'll about it.
My first book was, of course Ender's Game, which was recommended to me by my father of all people- who had also read the original short story. He and my stepmother had large collection of OSCs book, and after finishing EG I quickly nicked all of them. (sorry Dad, I've still got your copies of Treason, Songmaster,The Worthing Saga and Wyrms). I then got hooked on the Alvin series from a copy of Red Prophet that I found in the school library.
But my best story is this- when Prentice Alvin had just come out in paperback (I didn't even know it was out at all) there was a book signing in Bookstop by one of my other faves, Mercedes Lackey. When I arrived, the table was still empty and the signing hadn't started yet, so I snagged a copy of PA off the shelf and began reading it to while away the time. When I finally looked up, about 100 pages later, she was at the table not 10 feet away from me, with a very long line... and I hadn't noticed a thing.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phil
Member # 2066

- posted      Profile for Phil           Edit/Delete Post 
My first was Seventh Son, that hooked me and I've read everything I could get my hands on (not easy in New Zealand - I've had to buy on the Net, while on holiday in Hawaii, in Utah, and when Borders finally opened a store down here), everything except the How To... books, and ShadHeg. BUT what scares me is everybody on this topic is a KID!!. I first read Ender's Game at about 42, 6 years ago, and still it spoke to me. AM I THE OLDEST PERSON ON THIS THREAD?
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phil
Member # 2066

- posted      Profile for Phil           Edit/Delete Post 
Not 'kid' sorry, bad choice of word. I mean younger than me, much younger, I feel old...
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hebedee
Member # 2110

- posted      Profile for Hebedee   Email Hebedee         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Ender's Game in sixth grade, and my dad talked about OSC when we were discussing his Mission in Sao Paulo. Apparently they were there at the same time and played in a music group together on their off days.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
thayn
Member # 1991

- posted      Profile for thayn   Email thayn         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally talked my wife into reading EG and she read the whole thing in 2 days. Today she's starting Ender's Shadow. One more fan for the list.
Posts: 31 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Endless Dream
Member # 2105

- posted      Profile for Endless Dream   Email Endless Dream         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give you three guesses what my first OSC book was, and the first two don't count.

I have always had a bad habit of reading during class (in fact, I still do). In my seventh-grade science class, I was really bored. So I saw this book, Ender's Game, sitting on the heater next to me. I started reading it, brought it home. I was almost in a trance when I read it. It was like nothing I'd ever read. It remained one of my favorite books for many years. (By the way, I did eventually return it).
This past year, as a high school junior, I was poking around idly in the school library when I came across it again. I read it again, and it was still awesome. I gave it to my mother to read; she and I have always had similar taste in books, and we usually read series of books together, and talk about them. She loved it as much as I did, and over the course of the year, we managed to buy the whole set of Ender books.
Two weeks ago, in a bookstore, I found Alvin Journeyman for $5. I finished it in two days, and my mom's in the process of reading it. I'll bet we end up collecting the whole Alvin series before the end of the year

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to read EG for my freshman english class. I was dreading reading it because usually the books that you have to read for english classes are so incredibly BORING, and because eveyone else in the class was complaining about how much they hated it. So I procrastinated till like the day before the test, and read it all that night, with out even realizing I was enjoying it.

I forgot all about OSC till I found Hart's Hope in the library, and decided to check itout, totally unaware that the guy who wrote this book wrote EG. I loved Hart's Hope, but since the library didn't have any other OSC I forgot about him again, till I read the story in Legends about the grinning man.I finally put two and two together... and ordered a whole bunch of his other books at the library.

Where are you guys finding Maps in a Mirror and Songmaster? I can't find them anywhere.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Stevens
Member # 1238

- posted      Profile for Alex Stevens           Edit/Delete Post 
It's strange for me to say that only a year ago I picked up my first Card - "Ender's Shadow" at the local library. I was hooked and my OCD kicked in. Since then I believe I've read almost every novel he's put out - I think the count was last at 28. I do have to say though, if any of his books got me hooked it was the Alvin Maker series. To this day I've never been more fascinated with a series of books then those. I desperately anticipate "The Crystal City" - If it ever makes it's debut. Either way, you can't go wrong with a Card, he is the true Taleswrapper no matter how you look at it.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Matthew   Email Matthew         Edit/Delete Post 
Like most of the people who have posted, my first OSC book was Ender's Game. I was home from college one Christmas and my younger brother brought it to me from his school library. After my initial reluctance to read it (after all, it was my little brother who brought it to me...), I did. Then I went to the library, got every Card book they had (which wasn't many) and read those. Since then, I've read almost all of his books and short stories.
Posts: 118 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lutya
Member # 1787

- posted      Profile for Lutya   Email Lutya         Edit/Delete Post 
kwsni, you can find both Maps in a Mirror and Songmaster on eBay once in awhile.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Anzha
Member # 2060

- posted      Profile for Anzha           Edit/Delete Post 
Go to Half-Price Books or another used book store. I've seen copies of Songmaster there pretty recently.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
skruesch
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for skruesch   Email skruesch         Edit/Delete Post 
Phil-- Don't sweat it...I'm an oldy but a goody just like you and I'm doing my best to convert more of us. I just gave EG to a co-worker and he told me this morning that it's his new favorite book, even though he's only about half-way through it. Of course, I had a moral obligation to buy the rest of them for him...I'd hate for him to give up before he's well and truly hooked!

Sharon

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
scion
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for scion   Email scion         Edit/Delete Post 
My first intro into Card was TREASON...that book is pure magic. Not only that, it was my first Sci-fi book also. I don't know if I am ready to venture into other Sci-fi, but I still have a few Card's to finish up before the well runs dry. =d
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudolph the Red
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Rudolph the Red           Edit/Delete Post 
my first post here.....

anyway, First OSC book I read was Songmaster, I picked it up because I'm a musician...after that I read Pastwatch, and from there I became addicted, reading the Ender series, Alvin series, then Homecoming, and now I am working on Enchantment, which will be followed by the rest of his books in all of the libraries anywhere near to my house.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Wanderberry
Member # 2288

- posted      Profile for Wanderberry   Email Wanderberry         Edit/Delete Post 
My intro is actually quite funny. My 12 year old self loved the movie The Abyss...and OSC defied the customary novelization suckiness and wrote a brilliant and better version of the screenplay, complete with the life-tales of the three main characters.

I immediately went to a used book store specializing in Sci-Fi and found...well, more obscure Card works, including Hot Sleep, Eye for Eye, and Future on Fire. When I found myself reading the introductions to other people stories more than the stories themselves in FoF, I knew I was going to be looking for Card stories and snippets and books my whole life.

I had no idea he was a popular writer with a zillion books to read. Imagine my surprise and delight at my own cluelessness when I finally went into a new book store and found three shelves of books to read!

I haven't even started the Alvin Maker stories yet.

--wanderberry

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alaliayh
Member # 2293

- posted      Profile for Alaliayh   Email Alaliayh         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first post on this board, but I figured it'd be a good place to start.

Well, lookit me being the different one. I started out with Alvin, not Ender, but not with Seventh Son either. My first OSC book was Prentice Alvin, which was given to me in a strange way... by the girlfriend of the father of my friend who I had just met that day.

Anyway, after reading Prentice Alvin, I found Ender's Game had been stashed away in my computer room library. Me, being all excited about actually finding another book by the same author in my house, read it rightaway and soon finished the rest of both series and now I've.. read quite a bit more. Still got some to go, though.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.