FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What book introduced you to OSC? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What book introduced you to OSC?
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to read my father's books. He had just taken out Seventh Son, so I picked it up and started reading it (I was 11 at the time). I then found out my father owned Ender's Game. After reading that, I ransacked the library for anything by him. I haven't read everything, but I'm working on it! [Smile] He's one of the first authors that I'm actually willing to try all of his works (Dean Koontz being another).
Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
En Vista
Member # 3848

- posted      Profile for En Vista   Email En Vista         Edit/Delete Post 
The Memory of Earth. The Homecoming series was in my high school library, but oddly enough the Ender Series wasn't (not until I bought the collection of paperbacks and donated them as an alumnus gift last year). Anways, I picked it up arbitrarily one day and decided that a world in which women rule wouldn't be too bad to read about. And then I was hooked and had to read the rest of the series.

For not being a huge science fiction fan, I guess I've read more sci fi than anything in the last few years owing mostly to my growing Card collection.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
A book didn't introduce me to Orson Scott Card, A periodical did.

In August of 1977, in Analog, I was privilaged enough to be exposed to Ender's Game which had a profound, and immediate effect on my life. The story haunted me for years. Only a few of my close friends knew the phrase "The enemy's gate is down," when I trotted it out.

Those that knew the phrase always wanted to discuss this wonderful story.

Years passed. I was into Kim Stanley Robinson and William Gibson in 1984, and had not even been exposed to David Brin yet (thanks to my wife, I later discovered Startide Rising and was hooked). It was years after the publication of the novel that I discovered that it had been written.

And what an expansion on the story that was. We got to go inside Peter and Valentine's heads! Wow! I was blown away, and I can't make this statement strong enough to convey just how much!

I later turned my wife on to the novel. She was hopelessly hooked (one good turn deserves another).

Thanks OSC. We've now read the whole series, or both series, if you like. And we'll probably get the next few books, and the DVD when it comes out, and the merchandise, and, well, everything!

[ August 26, 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ksig
Member # 5625

- posted      Profile for Ksig   Email Ksig         Edit/Delete Post 
have you read any of his other books Erik S?

i was on vacation and i went to the bookstore and had to get my mom a present, so i just bought enders game, then my mom said it was really good so i read it... now i'm hooked

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really great that you took your mom's advice - I don't really care for her taste in literature. I don't care for Grisham, King, Diane Motts Davidson and the like. I could do without all the, for lack of a better word, suspense, that those authors' books ritually entail. No, as for me, I'm a sci-fi kind of person. Hail the Almighty OSC [Hail] !!
[Smile]

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game was my first OSC book, which was recommended to me by a member of another online community.

I keep reading OSC for a couple of reasons. For one, he wrote so many books, and he's still writing more. At this point in time, if you just started reading OSC this year, as I did, you can read a ton of books and not worry about running out. Also, I've always been fascinated with ideas presented by sci-fi books, but most get so technical and boring that I just turn to their movie counterparts. OSC has an intriguing scientific imaginations, as well as a down-to-earth approach that deals with human emotions.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Anderson
Member # 5631

- posted      Profile for Jon Anderson   Email Jon Anderson         Edit/Delete Post 
Way back in junior high I first read Ender's Game. Now, I've re-read the entire series a few times, along with a few of his other series.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Ksig, I have only read all of the Ender universe stuff. I have Treason right now in my book queue, but haven't started it yet.

After a few months on this forum, I am very interested in reading the Alvin Maker stuff. Sounds very entertaining!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
It's well worth the read. And the wait for the new book.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
I always considered myself something of a sci-fi nut. One day in Jr. High as I walked into the library I saw on a book rack a copy of Ender's Game. The cover was pretty cool looking, with the fighter ship and the futuristic looking horizon. Plus it had 2 littl award stars on it. That was enough for me.

Sci-fi-check (though not nearly as much a sci-fi story as I anticipated. That is a good thing though)
Cool cover-check
Awards-check
300+ page book (when my peers were whining about 100+ pages)-check

Got me started! I have read all the books in the Enderverse now multiple times (for most), and the Homecoming series. Need to now branch out to the Alvin series.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Alright, alright! I've just ordered 7th Son are you happy now?

::boy, I think nobody expected him to say that::

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.