FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Questions about GOD (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Questions about GOD
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, if you believe that the only thing necessary to go to Heaven is repentance -- or faith -- someone can still sin and lead a terrible life and get into Heaven as long as they eventually feel bad about it. (Note: if you believe in predestination, this is clearly not the case. Of course, if you believe in predestination, you may as well lay down and die somewhere for all the good LIVING does you.)

By the same token, someone who leads an exemplary life but does NOT repent or does NOT convert is, according to many Christians, damned to an eternity of agonizing torture. FOREVER. Forever. Think about that.

How can you possibly think of the afterlife as being a form of "justice" with those alternatives in place?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachant
Member # 5206

- posted      Profile for Sachant   Email Sachant         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a form of justice but I think more of an earned seat in the house of God. If you don't earn it, you do not get to go to heaven and live among the good people that worked hard to be better than they were all of their days.

I don't think predestination guarantees you are going to heaven or hell because you still have to make your choices through life.

I think true repentance is very difficult to come by. It has to be made out of genuine regret than fear of hell.

Other than that, as I said, I have a hard time with forgiveness for murdering pedophiles etc. I'm not THAT enlightened as of yet. [Wink]

Posts: 103 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee M.
Member # 5203

- posted      Profile for Lee M.   Email Lee M.         Edit/Delete Post 
OK OK OK, I get the point, I didn't think what I said would make 3 pages worth of replies, all I wanted was a answer, it is clear to me that I can't, or can, but most likley can't get a answer from GOD, if you feel the urge to write how you feel about GOD, go ahead, be my guest, I won't and can't stop you. I guess I know now people actually listen to my words, and I'm only 13.....I guess this is pretty interesting.
-Lee

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There have actually been some very insightful twelve-year-olds on this site.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachant
Member # 5206

Age often has little to do with insight and intelligence. Let alone an ability to relate to bigger notions and opinions from others. [Wink]
Posts: 103 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee M.
Member # 5203

Could you relay that to me so I can comprehend it..please.
-Lee

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachant
Member # 5206

Just because you're young doesn't mean you can't understand. [Wink]
Lee M.
Member # 5203

Explain
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen someone get upset about his topic receiving too many replies. [Razz]

Heck, I can't even remember the last time one of my topics went to three pages.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the anti-spanish feelings one? <grin> [Smile]

What exactly do you want explained Lee?

Hobbes [Smile]

[ June 15, 2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachant
Member # 5206

LOL.. I agree Frisco. I was even going to ask if the mysterious Lee just did a post and run. [Wink]

I don't think there is much else to explain though.

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
[edit: Are you talking about this Anti-Spanish thread...which I didn't even post to, let alone start?]

[ June 15, 2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WedgeAntilles
Member # 5154

- posted      Profile for WedgeAntilles   Email WedgeAntilles         Edit/Delete Post 
Lee M.

There is a God. I know this in myself and never needed to be taught it. I knew him before I ever read a scripture or any other thoughts about him from any other person.
Why is there such evil in the world? Why then is there good in the world? Because people choose to do one or the other.
What does God want? To choose good.
Question is - what do you CHOOSE to do?

Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adeimantus
Member # 5219

- posted      Profile for Adeimantus   Email Adeimantus         Edit/Delete Post 
Please define good and evil. I know one from the other as far as social behavior, but I want to know how we would attain a path of pure good or evil.

Edit: I don't know if anyone would intentionally choose evil, I think its more like a path of self interest or collective interest.

[ June 16, 2003, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Adeimantus ]

Posts: 107 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee M.
Member # 5203

I am not "upset" .... you know what I am not gonna explain....go ahead keep talking.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to correct the notion that "mormons" have 3 flavors of afterlife. There is a 4th for the profoundly sinful, though it is customary to not speculate on who will wind up there. Mormons are even known to argue over whether Judas Iscariot belongs there since he was "part of a plan". Though I tend to think he wasn't an indispensible part and chose his role in it.

A president of the Mormon church, John Taylor, said that the third kingdom was so glorious that if we could see it we would commit suicide just to get there. Thus the deduction that it is the realm of some killers and also relatively posh.

My own heresy is that the afterlife is just going to be more work and development and existence. Thus the cosmic importance of not getting easily discouraged.

I know a lady who feels very strongly that heaven won't be heavenly unless certain people she knows (who she otherwise doesn't think would make it) can be there.

Another personal heresy- the worse thing that can happen to you in this life is not to get hurt, but to cause hurt to another. This is quite problematic in the view of God being responsible for so much of the hurt in the world.

When my baby died I wondered how God could justify doing that to me. I was really angry at Him, but I have to say it never provided greater comfort for me to think He didn't exist. It just made me mad, is all. It's like, God had better be real because He has got some explaining to do.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.