FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC and Lord of the Rings

Author Topic: OSC and Lord of the Rings
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to win a bet, but losing poorly. I know for a fact there was an homage to Lord of the Rings in one of the Alvin books, but I can't find it. Wasn't it a poem that Arthur Stuart made up that referenced the quest? Dang if I can find it looking through my books and thought someone might remember it better. I remember thinking it was a great homage and now that I am in full-on Tolkien mode as we move into Fall and Winter...well, even a quick aside like in Alvin is fun! But my wife doesn't believe me and therein lies the bet. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you're thinking of an extra verse in the song Alvin made up. Alvin Journeyman -- p. 270 in the paperback, p. 263 in hardback.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I've stuck pretty much with the Ender's series, but the more I hear you guys discuss the Alvin Maker series, the more it intrigues me. I guess I'll have to read that stupid set too!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bricks-N-Sandwiches
Member # 5603

- posted      Profile for Bricks-N-Sandwiches   Email Bricks-N-Sandwiches         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth it...If you can get past the historical inaccuracies, and the folksie dialogue...but these same foibles are one of the endearing qualities of the series. [Hat]
Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as historical inaccuracies go, it IS set in an alternate universe, you know.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
And once again, Papa Moose get's his hand up before mine to answer a trivia question. [Mad] [No No] [Mad]

[Wink] . Hi Moose! [Big Grin] [Wave]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice that verse of the song. That's pretty cool. And yes, ES, you should definitely read it. That series is by far my favorite of Card's.

Edit: Come to think of it, I'm sure that I did notice it, but for some reason couldn't remember noticing it. I think I forget a lot of stuff like that. Musta been too much of this
[Wall Bash] .

[ September 01, 2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone care to post the relevant passage? I don't have access to the Alvinverse right now. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alone with my imagining
I dreamt the darkest dream,
Of tiny men, a spider's sting.
And in a land of smoke and steam
An evil golden ring

Hobbes [Smile]
Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] Hobbes!

*now to resume my regularly scheduled lfie*

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikal
Member # 5564

- posted      Profile for Mikal   Email Mikal         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember getting so excited when I first read that.
Not sure why he put it in there, though.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeehaa...I won a bet. Okay, it was more for pride (a sin?), but still.

Yeah, I wondered why he put it in there as well. Just as homage? I read (or heard) that Tolkien was attempted to create a rich, mythical history for Britain, something akin to the Greek or Roman Gods and heroes, etc. Everything else in their history was borrowed (or stolen) from other, richer storytelling traditions. Mabye OSC was doing the same for the US, creating a more rich tapestry of history and myth that a young nation such as ours needs. Maybe I am reading too much into it and he just did it as a fanboy love for a great piece of fiction.

Or maybe, he was actually pointing to the fact that the Alvin books take place on the same world that Middle Earth did, only millenia later. That in fact, Alvin will forge the One Ring. Or maybe Harrison will, making him the Dark Lord and Carthage City (also known as Cincinnati) Mordor.

Which, having lived in Cincinnati for 10 years, makes PERFECT sense to me! [Big Grin]

But anyway, thanks for looking it up. Was good to read again and in my geeky LOTR mood (soon to be Alvin again when the new one is released) it was a nice fanboy jolt.

Ciao,

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

: gasping for air :

(C'mon, breathe, Jack, breathe)

[ROFL]

. . . historical inaccuracies . . .

[ROFL]

(C'mon, Jack get with it)

. . . wheeze, wheeze . . .

:composes self:

Ahem.

Yes. Yes. That's a real problem.

Maybe you should make a detailed list of them, send them to the publisher, and they can be corrected in later editions.

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was like "whatever" when I read that because I had no clue about LOTR. I'm getting pretty tempted to read it finally, but I want to wait until I've seen Return of the King. Anatomical inaccuracies notwithstanding. And all those made up Elvis [sic] words.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Cactus Jack
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] fil

I love the thought of a Dark Lord in Cincinatti.

I missed that verse the first time because I hadn't read LotR yet...but now I'm a born again expert and I've been meaning to read the Alvin series again anyway... [Smile] Thanks Pop and Hobbes for all the great trivia and joy you bring to my life!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ksig
Member # 5625

- posted      Profile for Ksig   Email Ksig         Edit/Delete Post 
that's so cool, i never noticed that before! Thanks for pointing that out. And to think i thought i was an LOTR fan..... [Blushing] [Wall Bash] [Blushing]
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.