FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Homecoming Series

Author Topic: Homecoming Series
TheSeeker
Member # 4608

- posted      Profile for TheSeeker   Email TheSeeker         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'm currently reading Earthborn and I feel completely lost. I understand most of it, but sometimes I feel that I missed a book in between Earthfall and Earthborn... Did anyone else feel this???

TheSeeker

Posts: 58 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have read the series several times, and it does feel like the actual "Homecoming", or journey home, happened in the middle of Earthfall. Earthborn is a book that gives you an idea of what the descendants of of the original group that flew to Earth hundreds of years before Earthborn takes place.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the Homecoming series is based on The Book of Mormon (albiet rather loosley). The first four books all follow in line from the begining of The Book of Mormon to the end of the first book within it (The Book of Mormon is organized like The Bible, into multiple books). The story told in Earthborn is much farther on in The Book of Mormon and so there really is a lot of skipped over story-wise. Really, I see the Homecoming Series as the first four books, followed by the last one; but I never had a real problem understanding what was going on in it, after I got over the 500 year gap.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ October 21, 2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that stays pretty consistant with the Book of Mormon. Between Jacob and Mosiah, there really isn't history written.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I got a little confused when I read the Homecoming books for the first time, too. It's a lot of information to digest. This is my second time through, however, so I was anticipating the sudden jump 500 years into the future.

It startled me a bit the first time, but now I look at Earthborn as a sort of super long prologue to the Homecoming books. That seems to help.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Epilogue?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Earthborn does come AFTER the other four books. Just in case you didn't get the memo [Wink] :

1. The Memory of Earth
2. The Call of Earth
3. The Ships of Earth
4. Earthfall
5. Earthborn
[Big Grin]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, that stays pretty consistant with the Book of Mormon. Between Jacob and Mosiah, there really isn't history written.
I suppose that's true, but there are so many pages! [Laugh] [Wave]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Epilogue! [Wall Bash] I meant epilogue. I always get those two mixed up for some reason. Thanks for the clarification, Papa Moose.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided that I really really want to be a raveler. And I just finished Earthborn and am at a loss for what to read.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neeraj
Member # 9026

- posted      Profile for Neeraj   Email Neeraj         Edit/Delete Post 
I was lost as well with the sudden bat/rat things.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.