FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Star Trek Prime Directive in Xenocide (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek Prime Directive in Xenocide
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow, this has degraded nicle in to a depiction of the subculture of hatrack. Or at least this side. This is quite interseting if I do say so myself.

Nope. The subculture of the 'other' side of the 'rack.

JNSB - Damn fanboy.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphiki Jr.
Member # 5882

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphiki Jr.   Email Julian Delphiki Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, to hold court. I dream of that day comming true for myself. But alas, it is some time off.

-W-

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphiki Jr.
Member # 5882

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphiki Jr.   Email Julian Delphiki Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, page 2. Any who, I need to go over to the other side some time. If only I knew what you guys were talking about.

-W-

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphiki Jr.
Member # 5882

Woah, that made me sound stupid! I know where it is. I was talking about...well I don't know. Just whatever....

-W-

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I've ever knowingly replied to myself, Julian, but it's okay to just say :bump: if you want the thread to the top. As long as the Hitler threads are one here, I'm all for bumping anything.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphiki Jr.
Member # 5882

I am confused. What do you mean by saying :bump:?

-I thuoght I mad it clear that I was W-

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed
Member # 6061

- posted      Profile for HeWhoMustNotBeNamed   Email HeWhoMustNotBeNamed         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say, in defense of Star Trek, aka, my plans for Friday nights, to V Aaron's post about all the aliens in Star Trek looking human, and speaking English. Ok, well, I can't really explain the whole English speaking thing, except to say it's the best damn language in the universe (I know this because it's the only one I've bothered to learn, and I have never felt the need to learn another.) But, as to all the aliens looking human, this was explained in an episode of TNG. A super intelligent species that existed billions of years ago decided to populate the universe with their DNA so that their intelligence would never die from the universe.
And, as to cultural contamination, I don't think it's possible to stop. It's a fact of life. You can't touch something and not change it. And, it also begs the question of how much control you have over a situation where you are a member of a superior civilization who comes into contact with a more "savage" one. There could be a butterfly effect, where you only thought you were showing them a cool trick. I think it'll probably remain a moral conundrum, though, just like plenty of other things. Good intentions breeding bad inventions and all.

[ December 28, 2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: HeWhoMustNotBeNamed ]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.