FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Books, Films, Food and American Culture.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Nothing to do with OSC, but curious anyway

Author Topic: Nothing to do with OSC, but curious anyway
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

- posted      Profile for Master Kakashi   Email Master Kakashi         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this has nothing to do with OSC but I thought I'd ask anyway, since we're all intelligent here to give a good response.

This sound stupid, having been resolved somewhere else, but: isn't black and white a color? When you say there is a "colorless" tv show, it's in black and white, so does that mean that they aren't colors? So what does that make them? Being parts of different kinds of paints, crayons, and markers, doesn't that make them colors? I am so confused. [Confused]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, white is the presence of all colors and black is the lack of all color.

With light and color reflection, a material will reflect the color that it is and absorb all the other wavelengths. So something that is green reflects the green light waves and we see green. Something that is white has all colors and so reflects all colors as white. Something that is black has no colors and absorbs all the light.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, black is a mixture of all pigments, and white is the absence of pigmentation. For what it's worth.

:-p

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mankind
Member # 2672

- posted      Profile for Mankind   Email Mankind         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, color is mixed into the broadcast signal differently. Black and white is merely the "brightness" or, as we say in the biz, "Luminance" portion of the signal. The colors are transmitted as a separate part of the signal, hence black and white broacasts are "colorless."
Posts: 75 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I would have ask the question on the other side
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.