FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Crystal City Help! Aiieee!!

Author Topic: Crystal City Help! Aiieee!!
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I am lame. I normally re-read a series before embarking on a new book but I didn't have the time. I have a stack of new books to read on the bedside table and I wanted to get into Crystal City, toot sweet. I re-read the series about a year ago and I thought it would come back to me, but it hasn't. When did Alvin hook up with Jim Bowie and Steve Austin? Did he do it in the context of the novels or is this a "happened in between book" story that we are only privy to in flashbacks? I haven't gotten far into CC but Bowie is becoming more important in it so before I go on, if anyone can remind me quickly when it was they met and in what context, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks!

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Three short stories occur between Heartfire and The Crystal City -- two are called The Grinning Man and The Yazoo Queen, and the third hasn't been written, but the working title is White Prophet. The two that have been written can be found in Legends I and II. The Yazoo Queen, in Legends II, occurs immediately before the beginning of The Crystal City, and includes the backstory regarding Bowie and Austin, as well as Lincoln and some other folks you'll encounter in the new book.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple of short stories between Heartfire and Crystal City.

An excerpt:

"Alvin reached out with his doodlebug. Steve's right arm and legs looked normal enough, but Alvin knew metal. And this was no ordinary iron or steel under Steve's skin. The pattern was much more orderly strong.

"And that wasn't all. Steve's eye was glass, but he still used it to see."

Bionics on the Bayou: Alvin Meets Steve Austin
From the Future Meets the Past short story collection.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eowyn of the mark
Member # 6210

- posted      Profile for eowyn of the mark   Email eowyn of the mark         Edit/Delete Post 
so where do we find these short stories? are they in a book or online?
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Legends II

Legends I

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent. Thanks for thei info! I heard of the short stories but didn't think they were anything important to the storyline. I like the concept of the Legends series and was planning to read some of the stories but now I see I HAVE to read the Alvin ones! [Grumble] Not mad, but I wish I knew that this was part of the continuity so I could have read them first.

I like the idea of the bionic man on the river. I wouldn't be surprised with the addition of Moose and Squirrel in the new book. All we need is for OSC to have referred to Daniel Boone as a man, a real man and the TV Land circle would be complete. Or called Davey Crockett the king of the wild frontier (is that how it went?).

Cool book so far, references aside. This ain't your mother's New Orleans, that's for sure.

fil

[ February 17, 2004, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: fil ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you're taken care of, but I just wanted to say Hi fil!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.