FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin Series Mistake?

Author Topic: Alvin Series Mistake?
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought my wife was crazy, but she somehow remembered this one. On page 297 of the hardcover version of Heartfire (she found it quickly but didn't remember the page number!), Margaret says that she wants "...to bring this girl into the world...." However, several places in The Crystal City refer to a boy-child, e.g. hardcover pg. 179, "Even though my first baby didn't live long enough for me to know him...."

It's been a while since I read either book - and I've only read each once (so far!) - so are we missing something or does my wife get a gold star for remembering? Usually she forgets the plot to a movie about five minutes after we watch it (a very useful trait, actually), but I guess this is the kind of detail that she would remember.

-Don

[My wife just gave me a [Razz] for teasing her about her movie-memory.]

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 6375

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of consistency errors in the Alvin Maker series, especially between the last three books. Most of them aren't major, like this... just details about the milieu or characters or story that OSC either forgot about or decided to change in the years intervening the volumes. Always one of the flaws of the series--it seems more focused on individual tales in the 'America that might have been' involving characters we know and love than a focused and consistent main plot. But what is a flaw is also a strength, in my opinion... these are some damn fine tales.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
megaotaku
Member # 6389

- posted      Profile for megaotaku   Email megaotaku         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with AreoB1033. (very sorry if I got your name wrong) The alvin maker stories might have a few inconsistencies here and there, but nothing too major. It dosen't make too much of a diference to have them refering to a child you never get to know as a girl or a boy.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
That is probably the one big error that even the members here at the site that got to proof read the book missed. And were they emberassed.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I went back and searched the forum and found your earlier post, msquared. My wife just wanted to be sure she was right. I'll give her her gold star now.

-Don

P.S. I wasn't trying to give OSC a hard time. Frankly, I'd rather look up some old issues of COMPUTE! Magazine with articles by him than read almost anything else. What's weird is that I probably did read them back when I had a subscription and a Commodore 64 and I had no idea who he was. I didn't discover him until almost a decade later!

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Hatrack Proofreaders

[Grumble]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

Hatrack Proofreaders [Laugh] Non-Hatrack Proofreaders

They get to see a draft of books before they are published, you know!

[ [Grumble] / [Hail] ] [Confused]

MysteriousChuck
Member # 6228

- posted      Profile for MysteriousChuck   Email MysteriousChuck         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I think it does matter which it is, because then if they have seven sons then was the first alive or dead? Its hard to say which Orson Scott Card wanted. You could go 2 ways. The first was a girl, so that is probably right. Or, he changed it, so the second is probably right.

MysteriousChuck

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope KACard sees this thread. *raises hand guiltily* I was one of the proofreaders. We were supposed to go back and find the exact location of the error, but I've been swamped and just haven't gotten to it. I'm glad you listed page numbers. That helps considerably!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
emberassed.

OUCH!
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey your not the spelling Nazi.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

Did you perhaps mean that your backsides were torched to charcoal-like status?

[Sorry, I couldn't resist!]

Apooche
Member # 6384

- posted      Profile for Apooche   Email Apooche         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the first child a girl and the second one a boy?

Thats what i thought at least. I remember it saying the girl died in the first chapter of chrystal city, and from then on the second was a boy

woops sorry, misread your first post. Your wife gets a gold star

[ April 02, 2004, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Apooche ]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to brag, my wife caught it, too [Smile] But unfortunately, the book was already out by the time she read it.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

A gold star for Heather, then, too. Aren't we lucky to have such observant wives? I hear they make good First Readers...

-Don

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.