FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » An error in Children of the Mind?

Author Topic: An error in Children of the Mind?
Jia-Ning
Member # 6406

- posted      Profile for Jia-Ning   Email Jia-Ning         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this has been discussed before or not, but I was rereading my copy of Children of the Mind when I came across something that makes absolutely no sense. I have the paperback 1996 edition, if that helps.

The error is on p. 196, when Valentine is trying to convince Novinha to let Ender go. Plikt comes in and she says,

"I room. What's happening?"

And here is my question- What on earth does 'I room' mean?!!

I guess that if there's a later edition of the book it would be corrected there, but unfortunately I don't have that . . . so, any help with this enigma would be greatly appreciated [Smile]

[ April 11, 2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Jia-Ning ]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh... I have the same thing in my copy. And I never even noticed it.... I suppose it might be an absurd typo...
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
My hardback version says the same thing, but I have a .txt version of it which is changed to "I heard." Whether that's an official change or just one made by the person typing. Anyway, it's not hard to figure out the basic intent.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
In my Polish version, it's translated to "I went out to the toilet".
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
So perhaps the original was "I was in the ladies room"?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jia-Ning
Member # 6406

Huh. I guess that makes sense. But who actually says "I was in the ladies room"? [Razz]

(I mean vs. "I was in the bathroom", or something like that . . .)

[ April 11, 2004, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Jia-Ning ]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I do.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
People are not infallible. You are not either. Editors and writers are not perfect. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jia-Ning
Member # 6406

I stand admonished! However, I didn't think that I was saying anything of the sort (That is, that I'm perfect). It's just that that error had been bothering me for a long time and I wanted to know what it meant . . .

[ April 12, 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Jia-Ning ]

String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
I room too, its fun.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I wield the H@MM35
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for I wield the H@MM35   Email I wield the H@MM35         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to throw in my comlete paranoia, someone could have hacked into Cards comp and changed that one piece of information... Just to be mean. hehe

Also, In Enders Game, pg. 177, it mentiens "Bonzo's misuse of ender wiggin."
In actuality it was Rose de nose's misuse. I only noticed because my bother outlined it and said ROSe the noes. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah i read that and thought the same, weild.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
All your base are belong to us.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp, could you explain that phrase to me please? I know it's some sort of gamer reference, and I've seen the "all your (blank) are belong to us" line in lots of different variations, but every time I do it drives me crazy because I feel like I should know what they're talking about. Am I not a real gamer if I don't know what that means? [Dont Know]
Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

- posted      Profile for captainmoriar   Email captainmoriar         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/

Tada!

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that should explain it... Also an important line: "Someone set up us the bomb!"
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
HaHa! Thanks for the link, captainmoriar.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T.J.
Member # 6267

- posted      Profile for T.J.   Email T.J.         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY the all your base link i been lookin for that! Thanks
Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.