FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » If OSC....

Author Topic: If OSC....
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

- posted      Profile for cRaZy ToM           Edit/Delete Post 
Boarded a ship andleft for a new planet..and we never heard from him again...what would u say is his best piece of work..that he will be rembered for?
The EG and ES Series would be my choice...

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely have to say Homecoming. The Ender books are second, then the Alvin books. I would have to say that I think the Shadow books would be on the bottom of that list. The Shadow books were good, and very readable, but they are not what I have come to expect from the man who wrote such wonderful books as Songmaster and The Ships of Earth. I rather enjoyed Wyrms a lot too.

[ May 01, 2004, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to read everything he's written in order to answer that, and while I've read a lot, I haven't come close to everything.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could be like many here that are thirsting for more of his writing. I've must have read everything 3 times by now. Except for the Ender Books and Homecoming. Those are like 10 times each. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite would be "A Planet Called Treason"
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were boarding a ship and could only take one OSC book with me, it would probably be Xenocide . My reason why is the development of the idea of aiuas and the consideration of sentience.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

- posted      Profile for cRaZy ToM           Edit/Delete Post 
The shadow was DIFFERENT from his other works....
i wouldnt doubt if that will happen one day...a GOOD different!

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sobenz
Member # 6517

- posted      Profile for Sobenz   Email Sobenz         Edit/Delete Post 
The book he would most be remembered for is obviously Ender's Game. Whether it's actually his best book or not, it is his most famous. It's the only book of his I heard about before I actually started reading his work.
Posts: 20 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved his independent books. Homebody, Enchantment, Stone Tables, and Treasure Box.

Oh, and Lovelock was great.

[ May 02, 2004, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Anthro ]

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
Worthing Saga.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Pastwatch.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say that the Enders Game Short Story would be the best, because it is in the more difficult format and it is a science fiction landmark that opened Sci fi up to all the non hard science types and forsaw the time when reflexes and computer skill and multitasking would be more important then muscle in gaining victory.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
To continue on what Pooka was saying...
quote:
If I were boarding a ship and could only take one OSC book with me
I would chose "MAPS IN A MIRROR". Because it is not just ONE amazing story it is many. And I'm always finding new favorites in it. [Smile]

[ May 07, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: gwan ]

Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkstripes
Member # 6566

- posted      Profile for pinkstripes   Email pinkstripes         Edit/Delete Post 
oh no. i hope that never happens.
Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does he have to board a spaceship for us to pick a book?
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! This is hard.

I want to say Pastwatch; but it was Ender's Game that originally drew me to his works, so it is pretty high up there. And I loved Ender's Shadow, although I don't know if I would have liked it so much if I hadn't already read the whole Ender series..

choices, choices...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Enchantment, but my favorites are Homebody and Treasure Box.

I've looked everywhere for Treason (I know it's out of print; that's why I cruise used book stores) and i can't find it to buy. I read it once and it's one of my favorites.

I'm tempted to steal it from the library and pay the fine . . . [Wink]

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost Boys.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd stick them all on my palm pilot, and then spend the next few years copying them onto paper.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
Seventh Son drew me in to the rest of the Alvin Maker series, but when I picked up Ender's Game, that caused me to start looking for anything else with OSC's name on it.

Lost Boys was pretty good, but a little too heavy on the Mormonism for my tastes. Card's religion is evident in most of his writing, and I don't mind it overall, but I don't care to be beaten about the head and shoulders with it.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm. you're right, this IS hard. I believe that his most memorable, and his best work is in Ender's Game AND Speaker for the Dead. I don't think you can separate the two and SFTD, in my humble opinion, is the best book he's ever written.

But, if I had to choose only one book to take with me...it would probably be Enchantment. [Big Grin]

(I'm with you Nick on the Homecoming series...but I would probably only pick Earthborn. And out of the Alvin series...I'd probably pick Prentice Alvin.)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.