FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin Maker

Author Topic: Alvin Maker
Tonatiuh
Member # 6052

- posted      Profile for Tonatiuh   Email Tonatiuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Should I read the series? How many books are there? What is it about?
Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Prolly worth reading them. The early books tend to be about openings. The later books tend to be about closings. It's kind of hit-or-miss for a particular reader whether you like having doors opened or closed.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, they are my favorite OSC books. (I adapted my screen name from a character from later in the series.) So my gut reaction to anyone who asks if they should read them would be, "Yes, read them. Then read them again." But I'll set aside my bias and just say that whether you should read them depends on what kind of books you like.

They are fantasies set in an alternate America, circa early 1800s. Folk magic really works, and history has been sufficiently different (presumably because of it) that the political geography looks drastically different from the way it did in real history. Real historical figures from the era interact with the fictional characters as well, like Napoleon, William Henry Harrison, and poet William Blake (affectionately known as 'Taleswapper').

There are six books out now, and one more coming eventually. The first is called "Seventh Son". You'll know by the time you finish it if you should continue. (But then, that's probably true of any series.)

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manz7
Member # 2877

- posted      Profile for manz7   Email manz7         Edit/Delete Post 
YES, read them - they're great. Nice reading of an alternate history of America. I looked forward to each issue - they weren't coming fast enough. The Crystal City was the last one - now I see that another is coming out. Not soon enough for me.

I've searched all over the internet for books on the 7th Son. This is it. There are no others.

He has really done a great job writing this storyline. As said before - they're worth reading again and again. As you can see I'm hooked.

I would like to correspond with other 7th Sons - but - I guess that it's not to be. I relate to Alvin on the healings that he does. Yes, sometimes it's instantaneous and other times it takes forever.

Other 7th sons out there ? If you e-Mail me, make sure to note in the subject line where you're replying from. I delete hundreds of e-Mails daily.

Take care - keep the faith (that's all we have in this world).......

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tonatiuh
Member # 6052

- posted      Profile for Tonatiuh   Email Tonatiuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys with such enthusiasm about the from you guys I will read them right away
Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm in the middle fo the series right now and loving every bit of it. Enjoy them.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes read them, they wont let u down. I got about 80 pages left in crystal city. Cant wait to finish it

Update: Its 215 Am Eastern time. I have finished crystal city. It was great great.Cant wait for the next one.

[ July 28, 2004, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Enderwillsaveusall ]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.