FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Dear Orson Scott Card,

Author Topic: Dear Orson Scott Card,
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to tell you that I love your books, and I feel eboldened now to give you these pearls of wisdom I have gleaned over the years:

So, it is down to you. And it is down to me.

I can't compete with you physically. And you're no match for my brains.

But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet, or his enemy's?

Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I'm not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Wait till I get going! Where was I?

Yes -- Australia, and you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong. So, you could have put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard which means you must have studied. And in studying, you must have learned that man is mortal so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia." But only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA----

Anyway, I hope you (or William Goldman) won't sue or ban me for this, but I felt like it needed to be said.

You know,

as a favor to you.

Yours truly,
Joe

[ January 06, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Dear Mr. Card. I love your work.
Sincerely, Anna.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
too !!
And many friends love your work.

I'm happy you are translated in french.

sincerly,
Choobak

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
I'm happy you are translated in french.
This sounds vaguely painful!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*whispers* William Goldman
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Him too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Was that a quote from something? [Dont Know]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
The Princess Bride. When Wesley faces down Vinzinni.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Erik, you should know that The Princess Bride was UNANIMOUSLY considered part of the Hatrack Consciousness. If you haven't read or watched it, do so immediately.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

The what? [Confused]

[ January 06, 2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Go
Watch
The
Princess
Bride.

Now.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

(click on the confused smiley) [Wink]
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card,

I reallly enjoy your books.

Please come to Utah before I graduate. You have two and a half years.

Sincerely,

Ashley [Smile]

[ January 06, 2005, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Card was here for the last education week. Sadly, you two keep just crossing paths.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card,

I really enjoy your writing.

Please come to Utah so that you can remind yourself why you don't want to live here.

Sincerely,

Steev

PS Oh, and to see Ashley.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card;

I love your books and want to thank you for the beauty and maturity you have brought into my life. Your writings have made me want to be a better person.

And forget Utah. You've been to Utah many times. There's still one state missing from your roster of visited states, and it is not a state to be missed. Come to Alaska. We have bookstores here you could do signings at. Some of them are even real bookstores. We have a Barnes & Noble and everything.

Please come do a signing in Alaska. You'll be glad you came.

Sincerely,
Your Number 72 Fan,
Verily the Younger

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
He's out here in Utah quite a bit it seems, but he always seems to want to keep it hush-hush.

Even when he's doing a book signing. [Cry]

[ January 06, 2005, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Dear Orson Scott Card

[ January 06, 2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily the Younger:

Where in Alaska are you from?

BTW, OSC came to my creative writing class back when I was at Ricks (and when they still called it Ricks). I hadn't read any of his stuff at the time, but he was a great visitor. He knows his craft, that for sure.

P.S. What is this fabled "You-Tah" everyone keeps writing about?

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ah, so now we get to the REAL point of all this mushy stuff from Icarus. ( [Wink] ) He's been angling to get OSC and Kristine as lifelines for days and days now and this thread contains ANOTHER link to that thread.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card. (O)

Houston sucks,
yo,
I hope all is well
with you and
the family.
Geoffy is Cool',
so is the super cool wife.

looking to hire you as a historian
on a western I been writing for a while,
also wondering a little
about the local "Write the Screenplay to Ender's Game" contest is going,
has my penalty and suspension been
lifted and I now allowed into the
CONTEST

?

Word.
War sucks.
The man who ends it is better
than the man who casts battles.

Yo!

2005 is gonna be a great year!

Peace! Love and ! Harmony!

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus: [ROFL]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card,

Come to St. Louis....it is a beautiful metropilis.....where you could get attacked by rabid fans.

Sincerely,
SteveRogers

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Verily the Younger:

Where in Alaska are you from?

Anchorage. Why?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card:

Each time I read the Worthing Saga it hurts more than before. It's like digging another foot out of a well. Last time I read it I lay on a futon facedown and was still crying when my husband came home. I kept seeing my daughter with no eyes.

I just wanted you to know.

<3, 2son4ever

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily:

Just grew up there myself, and all my family's still there. Go Dimond!

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr Card,

Don't listen to them. Australia is where you really want to visit.

After all, we have iocane!

Sincerely,
Imogen

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal
Member # 5437

- posted      Profile for Crystal   Email Crystal         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree that Anchorage is where he should visit.

quote:
Just grew up there myself, and all my family's still there. Go Dimond!
No way! Go South! [Razz]
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Nope, go Dimond! The Lynx rule!
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Fairbanks > Anchorage
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Imogen, I read "iocane" as "cocaine" the first time. [Eek!]

Dear Mr. Card,

I'd love it if you would do another signing because I still have books without your lovely scrawly signature in them. [Smile] But I also understand that signings are probably a huge pain in the butt.

Your son lives in the Pacific Northwest, it's only natural that you should do a mini signing in say...Portland. Why not do it every year? Good family time with your son and daughter-in-law and some happy, partying PacNW fans.

[Big Grin]

Oh, I love your books. You take up an entire shelf of my bookcase. Well, not YOU literally (that would be cramped), but your books.

Sincerely,
Cecily, your #28 fan

Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, come to St. Louis!

Ooh, or come to Indiana! There's a bunch of us at Purdue; we can go prance about at Battle Ground. Well, maybe prancing isn't appropriate for Battle Ground. But we could prance OVER there.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ahem, no.

There is a Battle Ground Washington (state) that is much more fun than your battleground. [Wink]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hear, hear! I second Narnia's idea.

PLUS . . . I would make you and the missus and all the PacNWers and other Jatraqueros wonderful homemade soup . . .

PLUS . . . Point Defiance Zoo has done some real nifty renovations that we all ought to go see and take goofy pictures of each other aping the apes - or doing the squirt a la belugas - or waddling with the penguins . . . .

Sincerely,
Shan

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chandani
Member # 5879

- posted      Profile for Chandani   Email Chandani         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card,

Thank you for posting your "Uncle Orson Reviews Everything" column on your website. I have just been scouring the archives for mention of a movie I liked, and though you didn't review that one (or if you did I couldn't find it), I found several others that I was surprised (and delighted) to find you liked as much as I did.

I don't agree with you about everything, obviously. But I admire your work so much, and the way your mind works (evidenced by your writing "voice"). It's probably utterly silly of me, but when I see what you said about something like Maid in Manhattan or Donnie Darko and it rings so true to what I already thought, I feel a little bit better about myself.

Thanks again.

P.S. Have we waited long enough for Shadow of the Giant? What the heck have you been doing? ;-)

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ahem...I believe he's been writing Crystal City, Rachel and Leah, and Robota...to name a few.

That there is a lot of nerve!!! [Wink]

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but our Battle Ground (IN) is where Vigor Church would be.

[Razz]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card,

Have a wonderful New Year.

And thank you for... writing, inspiring, this place... everything!

Looking forward to the coming months of reading,

Carrie

*coughcometowisconsincough*

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card,

I love you! Please dedicate a book to me, and I'll dedicate my life to you. *muah* *muah* *muah*

Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card,
I really like your books.
The only other authors I really like are Tolstoy and Dostoevsky.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr Card,

I think all of this letter writing is a little creepy.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegameiam
Member # 7305

- posted      Profile for thegameiam   Email thegameiam         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card,

I've been a big fan of your work since the mid 80s, and I've found myself in a geek-rock band (I'm not naming the group to avoid the appearance of advertising...), and was wondering whether you mind your characters being used as subjects of songs (nothing adult or offensive).

Thank you,
David Barak

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Dear Mr. Card,

Why did you steal my sweater? Give it back *now*!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Noem, was it a button-down or a Cardigan?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

::looks in closet::

[Eek!]

He took 'em both!

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

O.o Aren't cardigans and button-downs the same type of sweater? [Dont Know]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Exactly.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card —

Can I be in your movie? I don't need a big part, maybe a soldier walking by Graff, or a bugger, or a concerned parent or something.

Heck, I'd even be a hand model. I have lovely hands.

Think it over. I'll be waiting outside your front door until you decide.

Pat

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
To Scott.
I've read a lot of books and a lot of them were worse than yours.
Especially that one with the kid who saves the world from giant space ants, its name escapes me but that was a good one.
Its sequel too, Speaking to the Dead was great. Too bad they ruined it by turning it into a movie with Bruce Willis, Haley Joel Osment and Toni Collette, who was far superior in 'Muriel's Wedding.'

"I speak to dead people, all the time. Sometimes they don't even know they're dead."

I find it amazing that even in Britain, American literature and storytelling is not lost on us.

From Mark - representing the English quarter!

Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.