FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Are the rumors of a "linking" book real?

Author Topic: Are the rumors of a "linking" book real?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard many times here on this board that OSC plans on writing a sequel to Children of the Mind, that it will involve Bean's and Petras descendents, effectively linking the two series at the end as well as at the beginning.

Today I ran into a transcript from an old chat that OSC was part of:
quote:
<shawksie> Do you think that you will write a continuation to "Children of the Mind" about what happens afterwards to the various species/civilizations? (I could hardly put that series down, by the way -- and am so curious about 'what happens next'!) ;-)

<OrsonCard> A continuation of "Children of the Mind"? In a word, no. I already resolved all the issues I care about! I know there are questions left, but that's life. If I wrote another volume, it would only raise MORE questions. Nothing is ever tidy....

Here we have OSC flat out saying that he doesn't plan on doing it. On the other hand, I have rumors saying that he is now planning on it.

Can anybody point out to me any place that OSC himself has said that this is his plan? As things stand, the rumors appear to be of dubious veracity.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter, he's said here and elsewhere that he plans to do it. He's also told me personally.

Basically, it will be a linking book that joins SotG to CotM and will likely involve the descolada and nu-Peter's involvement with Starways. I don't think it's a great idea, but I think his publisher sold him on the concept.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you point me to something I can quote?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I could, but why don't you just E-mail him yourself? [Smile] That way you might even get better information.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to this thread, and look for OSC's post.

For other OSC book news, from present to WAY past, check out this [Wink]

[ January 20, 2005, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, I've actually pointed this out to you before [Smile] :

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002279

quote:
I was planning something for her in that book, but realized that it was not needed in order to achieve closure and would have been a distraction. The things she was needed for simply didn't happen yet when CotM ended. Maybe I can bring it to fruition in the book that binds together shadow books and speaker books. in any event, i appreciate the reminder of yet another of the threads left dangling at the end of cotm.
edit: Darn, too slow [Smile]

edit part 2: The thread where I pointed it out to you before [Wink] : http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002522

[ January 20, 2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: St. Yogi ]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[Wall Bash] That's right. I've read that before. I must have suppressed it. [Wink]

Well, thanks for your help.

St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
So, do you think it's a good idea or not? Personally I think it's a horrible idea. I think it would be best if he put the series to rest, once and for all.

But that might just be me.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I am reluctant to share my opinion too bluntly here in his own living room, but I wish the rumours were false.

I would much rather have some standalone novel like Enchantment or Pastwatch than this linking book.

Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean like this one?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Exactly!
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a firm believer of the "end the series while it's still good rather than milking it" philosophy, and I think that a linking book will be the perfect way to do just that! The Enderverse is interesting in that it is one saga, but it's divided into two totally independent four book series which are only connected at the start. I think it'd be cool to complete the saga by having the two stories converge once more in the end. It's like completing the circle. If Card comes up with a good story (and if he wants help, I have plenty of ideas myself [Wink] ), I think that the linking book could be the best in the saga. I'd love to see what happens if Petra is still alive in 3000 years and meets Peter II. I just wish that OSC would hurry up and write it already!
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles_de_Flandres
Member # 6672

- posted      Profile for Achilles_de_Flandres   Email Achilles_de_Flandres         Edit/Delete Post 
I myself think that the serieses (what's the plural for series?) have been dragged too long, or at least the Ender one, Bean I still see a small hope for.

I'd much rather have a Mazer book, fresh and new, or not really fresh and new but none of the old characters. Now for random Graemlins: [Laugh] [Confused]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't have anything against series in general, but they do seem to drag on a bit. For example, I love the first three of the Alvin books, but not so much the others.
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
While the Bean series is new and exciting the Ender series in a very dramatic way. I remember how I felt when I first finished CotM and I think a new Ender series book whether linking or not would take away from that.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that there have been WAY too many movies and books that dragged on too long in fact there are several Star Trek and other sci-fi that didn't need a series or two but for ES/EG a final book to link the two series together is need to provide final closure. Also once its binded together all of the characters would've been finally and fully developed and with no more room for developement. We can all put the book down and say "This was our Orsen Scott Card's Finest Hour!" In fact this final book is a nessesity; because Cotm had soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many loose ends and of ocurse Sotg will have just as many and leave us asking for more. This this final book can finally leave us content for the Mazer books.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trashcan_Man
Member # 7345

- posted      Profile for Trashcan_Man   Email Trashcan_Man         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you don't have to finish every single loose thread in a book outside the main plot (and sometimes even if it IS outside the main plot). I think it gave some charm to leave the Descoladores a mystery. Do we even know when the final book will take place? Maybe it will be before Speaker for the Dead so Ender can actually be in the book.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you take a few ooo's out of your post Sid? It makes the whole thread pretty hard to read.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I believe OSC said that the linking book would take place after Children of the Mind. Plans can always change though.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statwizard
Member # 7279

- posted      Profile for statwizard   Email statwizard         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is to be a linking book and it is to occur after CotM, it seems that an awful lot of details will be left out between SotG and CotM.... Unless SotG is spent largely on interplanetary ships (one way to keep Bean alive, you know).
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I really don't think that either the linking book or SotG is meant to fill in the 3000 year gap. Besides, I'm pretty sure that Bean will die in SotG. The linking book (if Card still intends to write it) is supposed to feature his descendents.
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

The loose ends are half the fun it allows you to come up with your own possible futures and play them out in your head. A book that gets all wrapped up like a christmas present isn't like real life at all. Can you think of any time in your life where ALL your loose ends got tied up. NO its not possible and I like those loose ends personally.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dinzy
Member # 6858

- posted      Profile for dinzy   Email dinzy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be better to tie up the descoladores story w/o bringing the Bean story into it. But then again I thought Ender's Shadow wasn't going to be interesting. I agree that dragging things out too far can get stale but I really want the descolada thread to be resolved because it was a pretty interesting idea. OSC should just plan out an ending that leaves less hanging, write a book or two towards that goal and then move on.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dartz
Member # 7377

- posted      Profile for Dartz   Email Dartz         Edit/Delete Post 
Calm down yall, its for him to decide i personally want this new "linking book" and dont make everybody sad by swaying his decision not do it. If you feel the series has been dragged so long they why do you still keep on reading it, don't spoil it for the rest of us.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ostyinmi
Member # 7218

- posted      Profile for ostyinmi   Email ostyinmi         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to remember is that sometimes an author can leave a story or series for a long time and then realize it is missing something, needs more to it, or their character has started a new venture in their minds. We have to be thankful that this happens to Uncle Orson, because with out it we would not have Ender's Game the book at all. Let the creator create what he feels is needed to be created. And even a linking book will be left with loose ends because Uncle Orson tend to right a fiction that feels more real life and real life has loose ends!
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would much rather have some standalone novel like Enchantment or Pastwatch than this linking book.
Word up. His one-shots are brilliant.

(btw - This side of the river is just a revolving door of newbies, isn't it?)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Calm down yall, its for him to decide i personally want this new "linking book" and dont make everybody sad by swaying his decision not do it.
Wait -- is it up to him to decide, or is it up to us to sway him one way or the other? [Wink]

Ralphie -- there are a *few* of us here that aren't newbies. [Smile]

[ February 14, 2005, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Ralphie -- there are a *few* of us here that aren't newbies. [Smile]
Yeah, I was talking to you. [Razz]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Sorry I'm a newbie but I'm trying my dangest to catch up. Not a newbie to OSC though, just hatrack. [Big Grin]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Sorry, man. That probably came across a lot more snarky than I intended. I started on the OSC side, too, but at the time I didn't realize that this side of the River is pretty much a launching pad for the Other Side.

I love n00bs. More potential hootchies for my stable.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I was on this side for over a year before I ventured over to the insane side.

And now, I've pretty much retreated back here.

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Its ok one thing about the other side is it seems like topics go by so fast that you can never have a real discussion going. Probably just seems that way to me because I'm a newbie, Joy.
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Word up. His one-shots are brilliant.
So true. People, read Lost Boys or Treasure Box.

Btw, the other side of the forum moves waaay to fast for some of us. (Myself as an example)

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

It actually doesn't move that fast, once you realize which crap to skip and which to read. [Razz]

(All of mine are musts. Just FYI.)

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

I'll keep that in mind. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.