FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Ebertification of OSC (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Ebertification of OSC
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what, that | works for me.
........... ..................\|/

[ March 15, 2005, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, guys! If we completely change the subject RIGHT NOW, this whole silly mess will be buried on the first page forever, and we never have to think about it again! [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Rat, these men still need to speak with Mr. Card.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll start:

Does anyone really know what Ebertification means?

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a play on Roger Ebert, the well-known movie reviewer.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the way you think, Noemon. [Wink]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anyone really know what Ebertification means?
I have something of an idea, but it'll cost me more than it'll cost you, so I'm not divulging.

BTW, this thread, in no way, shape, or form, resembles what I thought it would turn into.

*sigh*

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

If we're talking definitions, I'm still wondering what Ralphie meant by "gunshy". I figure it means "having the quality of gunsh", but I'm sure I don't know what that means. Whatever it is, it doesn't sound pleasant.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
See, this is one of those situations where I hope Squicky's joking. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Gunshy: gun shy, or timid about using guns or having guns pointed at one; metaphorically, to be reluctant to return to a painful subject, place, or person.

Ebertification: The process of becoming either reviewed or a reviewer.

Siskeloony: somebody who reviews movies whether anybody wants to read the reviews or not. Ex.: "Orson Scott Card is such a siskeloony that he doesn't even get paid for his movie reviews and he buys his own tickets."

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
BTW, this thread, in no way, shape, or form, resembles what I thought it would turn into.

Yeah, that's what happens when you let other people participate in your discussions. [Razz]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Orsoon: A person who insists on making corrections in other people's jokes, on the theory that misstatements in humor are more, not less, likely to be remembered than mistakes in ordinary discourse. (Backformed by analogy with "buffoon"; unrelated to "saloon" or "baboon" or to a city in western Canada with a similar ending.)
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Orsaltation: When after being grossly misrepresented and misunderstood you make a triumphant return by owning up to the blame. (Derived from 'exaltation')
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
And here I thought Orsaltation was adding new flavor to an already existing tale, IE Ender's Game/Shadow.

Who knew?

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm...Orsalt. The "New" Salt.

PS squick, sarmup != Narnia. I'm just not that cool.

Yet. [Cool]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're both very cool. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*eats it up with a spoon* [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Sorry, sarmup. I don't know why I got you mixed up. I'm also really sorry that what I thought would be an amusing little joke turned into a thing that had the exact opposite effect that I intended. I wouldn't have written it if I had known.

---

E-bertification: What you get when you complete the online course to be a performer at Sesame Place.

[ March 16, 2005, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I figure it means "having the quality of gunsh", but I'm sure I don't know what that means.
I thought this was pretty self-evident, Squick. Anyone with even a modicum of gunsh them would know exactly what I was talking about.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

My instincts are telling me that this so-called "gunsh" is a West Coast thing, and I don't want to play Biggie to your Tupac. So peace out yo.

East Siiide!

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Benioff showed his keen eye for story in Troy.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember exactly why I disliked You’ve Got Mail. It was the ending. The whole setup of the movie was that the corporate bookstore was driving Meg Ryan’s little independent children’s bookstore out of business. There was even that scene that showed us that the employees of the big bookstore didn’t know much about children’s books, and Meg (whatever her characters name was) helped the customer when the employee was clueless. A powerful scene about the benefits of small businesses staffed by people who love what they do.

So then suddenly this is all okay just because the big-bookstore tycoon is hot?

Yuck.

Now if the Tom Hanks character had decided to make an exception and have his big bookstore not carry children’s books at that particular location so that Meg’s store could stay open, that would have been a good movie.

♫ We’re taking a giant step into the future,
turnin’ into a thousand other towns,
I just heard today
the news that they
are closing the bookstore down. [Frown]

[ March 16, 2005, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
Now if the Tom Hanks character had decided to make an exception and have his big bookstore not carry children’s books at that particular location so that Meg’s store could stay open, that would have been a good movie.
My goodness. That would have been completely unbelievable.

[ March 16, 2005, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Without bringing everything back up, I think the Squicky/OSC exchange is a perfect example of how different their styles of communication and interpretation actually are.

If the original post had simply been this, I don't think there would have been any issue:

quote:
You know, at the Philly signing, OSC said that he was thinking of making the Ender's Game movie as a romantic comedy. You wouldn't think that it would work, but if you listen to him explain it, it actually sounds pretty good. It'd be a sci-fi date movie, and that's not bad.
Similarly, if OSC had responded to the original post this way, I don't think there would have been any confusion, either:

quote:
OK, I know everybody's joking, but a lot of people read these threads to catch up on what happens at the signings they can't go to. Please don't tie the jokes to specific signings or misquote me in making them.
Of course, I'd have added, "Besides, vague rumors make for much better newbie-tormenting." [Evil]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

*pies Dagonee*
GoddessVirlomi
Member # 7532

- posted      Profile for GoddessVirlomi   Email GoddessVirlomi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...I found this thread to be highly amusing [ROFL] and I don't think it was supposed to be.

Anyway, back to the topic of EG being made into a movie. Have any of you ever been to Imagine Casting? People put up books/movies/whatever that they would like to see as a movie and the members vote on the cast. The Ender's Game one is....interesting?? Judi Dench as Graff???

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting site. I have to say some of their picks are pretty good(and some, of course, amazingly bad). I've heard rumors of Graff being a female in the movie, so I guess that's why Judi Dench came up. [Dont Know]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

It's a shame things didn't turn out the way I'd wished for (apologies to the "prep hanging" nigglers for that grammatic apothecary). This, likely one of my most successful (and unintended) threads... why? direct appeal to celebrity?

celebs: can't smoke 'em out of their holes, can't stuff 'em in gold-embroidered gunny-sacks.

*schedules despressing sobs for yet another little death of idealism to be made in private momemts later*

I lost my train of thought. criminey!

tissue please?

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hated You've Got Mail. He closed her bookstore! She should kick him in the tonkers and remove his dingle, not fall in love with him!

Um. Yes. So it wouldn't be hard to make a better romantic comedy.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Still, they're both being Mr. McDefendies.

[ROFL]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she just needed to get over the fact that Fox sold books cheaeper. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Isn't that one of the unforgivable sins?
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well just don't tell Annie. [Angst]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

btw, Squick - This:
quote:
My instincts are telling me that this so-called "gunsh" is a West Coast thing, and I don't want to play Biggie to your Tupac. So peace out yo.

East Siiide!

was so funny I couldn't even think of a response.

You die now. You go to hell and you die. [Mad]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What, you want him to go out on a high note, is that it? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

It depends. If this becomes a trend, then it's best to nip this sort of behavior in the bud right away. However, if I regain my kung fu ninja skills and have the ability to best him in the future, then you have a point.

In the meantime, I think I may have misplaced my mojo. I'm not sure where I left it, but I lost my sunglasses at the same time. Very disconcerting.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, keep looking. It's a big mojo; it should be easy to find.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

You'd think that, wouldn't you? But it's small and very dense. Like lizard muscles. My mojo can lift five times it's own weight.

But if you see some mojo walking around with a pair of Ray-Bans, e-mail me pronto.

Hobbes
Member # 433

Don't you see Ralphie, you've had your Mojo this entire time!

Hobbes [Smile]

Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw your mojo running around naked in my backyard!
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Yeah, that sounds like my mojo. Tell it to come home and I'll bake it brownies and let it watch trash TV guilt-free.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'm on the ebb tide of my bring the funny to Hatrack mood anyway. My inhuman, make long, boring, pedantic post side is reasserting its dominance. So I'll send your mojo back to you Ralphie and you don't even have to worry about those pictures I asked for. The darn thing eats too much anyway and I don't think it's even housebroken. I'm going to get a drink at 2am and I step in in a pile of mojo mess. You can't tell me that's right.

[ March 17, 2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
My inhuman, make long, boring, pedantic post side is reasserting its dominance.
But you always get so whiny when this happens!*

(It's not the house training you have to worry about, it's the egoballs it coughs up on a daily basis.)

*Not your posts, but when you don't think anyone is reading them. Wah wah wah. [Razz]

[ March 17, 2005, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll keep your mojo around for a while. While the egoballs are gross and it eats me out of house and home, it's a monster in bed! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to "You've Got Mail": I figured in the "happily ever after" Meg's character then talked Hank's character, into having the chain become a "kinder-gentler" good supergiant with educated knoweledgable clerks that were paid reasonably (with benefits), more like Costco and less like Walmart. And she started writing childrens books of her own, and went to all of the stores doing autograph sessions and seminars teaching the stores how to be kinder and gentler.

You know I had no idea I had their fictional future worked out in that much detail, but it was obvious I had when I read dkw's post, because my fictional future had solved all those problems.

AJ

[ March 17, 2005, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Part of the genius of You've Got Mail is that they worked out these normally insurmountable problems. He hired her former employees and turned their children's section into something great. Also, we saw that the customers made their choice. There was no subterfuge - the customers abandoned the store. He didn't foreclose on her, he didn't bribe the city to rezone her location, etc. She lost the vote.

Then Nora Ephron worked very hard to get him to see things from her point of view, and to show how she could get past her depression and how he was part of that; he also showed contrition in a charming but sincere way. Plus, he was ALSO her online friend, too.

For me, the problems were perfectly solved. Ephron is a wonderful writer. But nothing works for EVERYONE. Sorry you weren't pleased with how it worked. There are plenty of people who hate MY solutions to story problems, too. All you can do is your best, and hope people will be pleased. When it came to Nora Ephron and You've Got Mail, I was completely pleased.

I should live to do so well with my stuff.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Banna, you are such a girl. *grin*
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm ok, so the seeds to my happily ever after vision for You've Got Mail were in the plot.

My own personal hangup is that I wish they could re-make the original Robin Hood with Errol Flynn. In my version, Maid Marian throws the peice of paper into the fire and doesn't entirely act like a helpless ninny. (If she threw the parchment warning Robin Hood into the fire, then even if they snatch it out of the fire and read it and the plot continues on the same from there, at least the bad guys get their hands burned.) The problem is, other than that flaw, it is head and shoulders above any of the newer versions IMO. You have to watch it more like a stage play rather than a modern movie, but if you view it like that, it works.

AJ

[ March 17, 2005, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Nora Ephron is fab, but my romantic comedy writer crush these days is Amy Sherman-Palladino.

If you miss the opening credits of the Gilmore Girls, you can still totally tell if she has written that particular episode.

EDIT: One of the text ads below is for "Wheres Your Funny T Shirt."

[ March 17, 2005, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.