FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Ebertification of OSC (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Ebertification of OSC
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if nothing else, this thread has convinced me to add You've Got Mail to my Netflix queue. I'm not bumping it to the top, but I'm adding it.

Out of curiosity, OSC, what would you say is the best romantic comedy you've seen? Would it be You've Got Mail? My vote would probably be for French Kiss.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine would be While You Were Sleeping.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I like While You Were Sleeping fairly well. When Harry Met Sally is also a contender for me. One that seems to be fairly popular that has really never done anything for me at all is Sleepless in Seattle.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! I thought I was the only one who hadn't seen You've Got Mail. (adding it to my Netflix too, Noemon!)
I usually can't stand romantic comedies but I gotta say I'm a sucker for [Blushing] Pretty Woman [Blushing]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Out of curiosity, OSC, what would you say is the best romantic comedy you've seen? Would it be You've Got Mail? My vote would probably be for French Kiss."

Gah. My poor brain. You know, as enjoyable as When Harry Met Sally was, romantic comedies don't have to star Meg Ryan to be any good. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
There's no contest: Bringing Up Baby.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
True Romance
Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Though it's not exactly a romantic comedy, I would vote for Before Sunrise. It has comedic moments, and it's definitely romantic.

[ March 18, 2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Fitz ]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got Mail has a special place in my heart for obvious reasons. [Smile] Not sure if I really think it's my favorite though...

On the Sleepless in Seatle note, I know a lot of people seem to think it was bad, but as someone who normally distinctly doesn't enjoy romantic comedies I thought it was pretty good. [Cool]

I hated French Kiss though, sorry.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh dear, now I'll have to kill you.

Seriously though, what about it caused you to dislike it so much?

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I took my wife to While You Were Sleeping right after I proposed to her and she had accepted. That makes it kind of hard to judge romantic comedies. I almost have no choice but to consider WYWS the best.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite romantic comedy is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's the only romantic comedy I've ever watched that I wanted to watch again. Plus it has Sci-fi elements. You can't beat that!
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite romantic comedy was

So I Married An Axe Murderer

Although the Princess Bride is pretty high up there too

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

How are we defining romantic comedy here? There have been a ton of great movies listed that I don't think of as romantic comedies.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to give my vote for "The Wedding Singer."

I wouldn't call "Eternal Sunshine" a romantic comedy. It was too well woven. Romantic comedies are light and fluffy and should give you some level of sugarshock.

[ March 17, 2005, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, strike Eternal Sunshine from the list and replace with Four Weddings and a Funeral.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen You've Got Mail, but man, Sleepless in Seattle sure sucked. And I say this as a guy who prefers emotional content in a story. (I'm an OSC reader, after all.) Don't get me wrong, I liked Tom Hanks's character and his son. I thought they had a great, realistic relationship, and he really did deserve to find a good woman.

Meg Ryan's character, on the other hand, was creepy and manipulative. Based on having heard this guy's story over the radio, she becomes a stalker--even going so far as to hire a private detective to hunt him down and surreptitiously photograph him--and leaves the man she's already engaged to.

Now, if she were single, or if she were with a man who was abusive, I could have accepted it. But by everything we saw, he was a great guy. He was nice, he respected her, he had a good sense of humor. Aside from his multitudes of allergies, he was everything women claim they want in a man. And we're supposed to be happy when she dumps him for a man she hasn't ever met?

Well, I was happy for her ex-fiance. Now he can move on and find a good woman, who won't use him up and throw him away like a tissue. Tom Hanks's character is the one I felt bad for.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Part of the genius of You've Got Mail is that they worked out these normally insurmountable problems. He hired her former employees and turned their children's section into something great.
Was this in the book? 'Cause I sure don't remember it in the movie. Granted I only saw it once, when it was in the theater, so I could have forgotten.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Noemon, to be honest, I saw it many moons ago and now basically all I remember is that I strongly disliked it. While you were Sleeping same thing. [Dont Know]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posable_Man
Member # 5105

- posted      Profile for Posable_Man           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in what people thought of Amelie, Bridget Jones' Diary and My Big Fat Greek Wedding as romantic comedies. To me, these are the three best I've seen of this genre in the past 10 years.

I believe this type of film is made better when you can enter the characters world and see it through their eyes. Sad to say, I don't get that same feel from most romantic comedy. Most of it is like watching a long-format TV show (a double episode of something pretty good, but not all that great).

The characters in their environment is what makes it work, and the three I named had both great characters and great (absorbing) surroundings.

Of the older stuff, I'd say Annie Hall was about the best of the modern era. From the 30's - 50's...I'd probably go with Desk Set as the best, although there's something to be said for Bringing up Baby too.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
While Your Were Sleeping was my first favorite romantic comedy...it will always have a special place in my heart.

Following that, French Kiss [Smile]

And now I love a bunch, namely Amelie and Happy Accidents (has anyone seen this?) and Sabrina.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a reason why big budget thrillers are likely to make more money than romantic comedies - there are people who just hate them.

But I'd suggest that perhaps those who dislike most romantic comedies are not those best qualified to vote on which ones are best.

To me, "Eternal Sunshine" isn't a romantic comedy - it actually borders on tragedy. I do count it as the best science fiction movie of all time. And Charlie Kaufman, the author also of "Being John Malkovich," as the first writer of sci-fi movies to bring the film genre up to the level of the literary genre. Ever since Star Wars, filmmakers have settled for doing thirties sci-fi - only with better and better special effects.

Likewise, Bringing Up Baby is a "Screwball Comedy"; but the genre boundaries are SO flexible. It Happened One Night is generally regarded as one of the best, and I do like it a lot. And is His Girl Friday a romantic comedy or a comic detective movie?

So, recognizing that boundaries are flexible and that not every movie is to everyone's taste, let me suggest a list of romantic comedies, sort of in order:

- Sense and Sensibility (number one alltime)
- The Truth about Cats and Dogs
- You've Got Mail
- His Girl Friday
- It Happened One Night
- Sleepless in Seattle
- Adam's Rib
- French Kiss
- 50 First Dates
- While You Were Sleeping
- The Rainmaker (Burt Lancaster and Katharine Hepburn, NOT Matt Damon and Claire Daynes)
- Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (Gary Cooper)
- Mr. Deeds (Adam Sandler)
- Born Yesterday
- Lion in Winter
- Far From the Madding Crowd

(The last two are very iffy on genre assignment. If I were sure they belonged in this category, I'd rate them much higher, because I think they are two of the greatest films ever. But since they probably don't belong here, I can't put them higher than movies that clearly do.)

This is more than you ever wanted to know about what I admire in romantic comedy.

If we added romantic fantasy, then we'd have to add:

- It's a Wonderful Life
- Miracle on 34th Street
- One Magic Christmas

And no, it's not a coincidence that these are all Christmas movies. It seems that Christmas is the season when filmgoers are willing to accept contemporary fantasy that doesn't involve horror.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

If The Lion in Winter counts, you bet it's up there! (My God, I'm 50, alive, and a king, all at the same time! [Cool] )

Bringing up Baby is also good. [Smile] I thought it had what any good romantic comedy needs (in my unlearned opinion), characters we can care about, funny, fast and witty dialog, and good actors and actresses (and of course the ending we all want). Monkey Business falls into this category too, though lower down. And yes, I enjoyed It Happened One Night.

And I would finally like to take this opportunity to say that the color version of Miracle on 34th Street was one of the only movies that didn't get destroyed by colorization.

Hobbes [Smile]

Leonide
Member # 4157

Which reminds me that I have to make Greg watch Sense and Sensibility.

Emma Thompson is a goddess in that movie. And Alan Rickman is at his very best.

*sighs happily*

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
But I'd suggest that perhaps those who dislike most romantic comedies are not those best qualified to vote on which ones are best.
Like not being qualified has ever stopped me from offering my opinion. [Taunt] [Wink]

[EDIT: In my own defence, most romantic comedies I've seen are ones my sister rented or otherwise obtained and then I saw against my will. She did not go out of her way to obtain the classics, these were basically all teen-flicks for girls. I enjoy most of the screwball comedies and a lot of the "classic" romantic comedys, with a few notable exceptions like French Kiss and While You Were Sleeping.]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ March 18, 2005, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those people that doesn't get much out of romantic comedies.

That said, I thought Sense and Sensibility was a wonderful movie.

But if I want to get my Emma Thompson fix, I watch Much Ado About Nothing.

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

If we can count those romantic movies with a fantasy twist, y'all MUST see Dead Again. It is one of my all-time favorite movies.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

It's been a long time, but itsn't that movie just about as romantic as War of the Roses?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I dislike romantic comedies, but I can't stand Meg Ryan.

I really didn't like Sleepless in Seattle. I couldn't get what the fuss was about.

I was surprised by how much I liked Bringing Up Baby.

I really liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but even though I think it is a better movie, I would not make it my favorite in this genre, because I consider light airy sweetness to be a defining characteristic in the genre. My favorite romantic comedy is probably While You Were Sleeping.

Is anybody else disappointed in Sandra Bullock since then, because, while she is good at what she does, she has never been as charming again?

[ March 18, 2005, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

To add to and try to clarify my thoughts on My Big Fat Greek Wedding, I think what it comes down to is that it was not the romance in it that did anything for me. It was the family, and the many ways that Greek family life resonated with my experience of Latino families. It gave me a big warm fuzzy. So I think it's a very good movie, but not an especially good romantic comedy. Does that make any sense, Bob?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
I really didn't like While You Were Sleeping. I couldn't get what the fuss was about.
quote:
My favorite romantic comedy is probably While You Were Sleeping.
[Confused]
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

AC, I'm not sure what movie you are thinking of, but Dead Again was incredibly romantic. A key difference is that it had a happy ending and lovers devoted to each other.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

**** spoilers *****

Isn't Dead Again the one where the couple have been reincarnated several times, and there are memories of one of them murdering the other with a pair of scissors? Doesn't it die with one of them trying to kill the other and dying in the process?
[Confused]

Leonide
Member # 4157

Lady Jane, are you sure you don't mean "Hello Again?"

And I'm convinced it's "Sleepless in Seattle" that Icarus doesn't like, and "While You Were Sleeping" that he does, because I like the thought and the Sleep words could've gotten him all kerfuzzled.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I am positive I meant Dead Again.

*******SPOILERS**********

Yes, the couple is reincarnated, but the whole point of the story is that it WASN'T the husband that killed her the first time, but the jealous psycho son of the housekeeper. The husband took the rap for it because he felt so guilty about not firing the possessive housekeeper when his wife asked him to. Besides, with her gone, there was nothing to live for. It is a GOOD thing that they are reincarnated and find each other again. I just love that movie - go watch it again.

Added: Hello Again?!? Shelley Long, mugging for the camera, bad jokes, dumb plot? You'd think that of me? Honestly, I'm insulted. [Razz]

[ March 18, 2005, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Billy Wilder's THE APARTMENT needs to go on a list of amazingly wonderful-yet-painful romantic comedies.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, you've got to refresh my memory on this. I could have sworn that the husband killed the wife the first time, and that the husband was reincarnated AS THE WIFE the second time and tried to kill the wife/husband again. If this isn't what happened, then I completely misunderstood the movie. What really went on?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

That's really close to how I'm remembering it. It ends with the original murderer dying (but, of course, not being killed by the victim).
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Okay,

Movie opens with a b&w flashback to headlines telling of the love and death of Margaret and the death walk of Roman, the husband.

Cut to modern day. A detective that looks remarkably like Roman is summoned to the orphanage where he grew up to deal with a woman who looks remarkably like Margaret that was found wandering on the grounds, voiceless and memory-less. They don't remember each other, but something softens between them. She can't talk, he takes care of her, and most of the movie is the detective story of figuring out who Roman and Margaret were, and did Roman really kill Margaret. By the time they realize that it's a possibility, the modern day heroes are in love with each other (her voice and memory have come back).

The movie does end with the original murderer dying, but in both the flashback death and the modern death, the killer is never one of the couple.

I am not going to completely spoil the ending, and especially not the twist, but no, Roman did NOT kill Margaret way back when, it was a great love story, and everything turns out happy and incredibly romantic. Mystery, murder, truly deathless love, funny lines (Robin Williams facilitates the mystery), and Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branaugh when they were together and happy. This is a wonderful, wonderful movie.

It does require that you pay attention. I don't feel too bad about spoiling as much as I did, because it helps to know what is going on. There is everything in the movie that is necessary to understand, but you have to, have to pay attention. I love it.

[ March 18, 2005, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

I think you dreamed part of that.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

You didn't pay attention, did you? Next time, no getting up to refill the nachos during the dramatic climax. [Razz]

[ March 18, 2005, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Leonide
Member # 4157

I honestly couldn't remember what Hello Again was about, kat [Smile]
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Well, it was 13 years ago when I saw it, and my uncle *did* have a major seizure in the middle of it.

But I still refuse to believe you. [Razz]

[ March 18, 2005, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

[Embarrassed] D'oh! Yes, Leo has it exactly right.

For my excuse, I will point out that I got home from the hospital last night around 3:30 am, and had to get up at 6:30 to go to work. [Sleep] (Mango has had a really bad asthma flare-up, in case you're wondering. I posted about it elsewhere, but I'm not sure where.)

Noemon
Member # 1115

Kat's got it right. And it is a very good movie. Been too long since I've seen it.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

La la la. I'm not listening. Nobody's hearing nothing.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat's got it right. And it is a very good movie. Been too long since I've seen it.

[Razz]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about it and found a romantic comedy I like besides the goofy Pretty Woman. It's only a comedy under the most technical definition of the word comedy though.
The Secretary!
Awesome movie, funny and romantic. (in a way) [Big Grin]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I changed my mind. My favorite romantic comedy is the original Manchurian Candidate. You have to stretch the definition of the genre a bit, but I think you can see why it wins.
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
i really liked how to loose a guy in 10 days [ROFL]
Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.