FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The World NEEDS a LOCKE

Author Topic: The World NEEDS a LOCKE
Locke2525
Member # 7554

- posted      Profile for Locke2525   Email Locke2525         Edit/Delete Post 
and OSC is the man to do it.
Imagine

His essays on the web....overthrowing bush and the world governments...

ever thought of that card? WORLD DoMINATION

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
The world HAD a Locke. He lived in the 1600's.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locke2525
Member # 7554

- posted      Profile for Locke2525   Email Locke2525         Edit/Delete Post 
well its been 400 years
it needs a damn new one

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* There was 14+ page thread about this awhile back in this forum called "Where is Our Locke?" or something like that. That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude locke, im dear sorry to say but nothing like that will ever happen. This world is greedy and wouldn't give in or really listen to someone unknown. And also in EG and such books related, the world webs(forums) are central and theres only one. So everyone has acess where you have to belong to a site to have acces to one forum copared to EG-Shadow Books. With what i said earlier, governments only listen to themselves and no one else, corruption has taken over the once trustworthy and honest governments of the world. But it would be cool to have a mysterious Locke roaming forums leaving revolutionary statements and doing "good" for the world. But unrealistic.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
"Overthrowing Bush"? Have you ever actually read an OSC essay?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the big reason that there won't be a Locke anytime soon is that there is no major global crisis or world government. The concept of world domination makes no sense for the next 100 years. Reminds me of a P.J. O'Rourke quote--"The U.N. Charter, as written, only makes sense for one thing: Defending Earth from Martian invasion." If buggers attack, and a world government forms, then power could conceivably be concentrated enough for one person to have the influence of a Locke.

As it stands, the power of a single voice amplified by the web is a lot greater than ever before. Know why Dan Rather's retiring in disgrace, and for that matter part of the reason we still have a President Bush? Powerline (the bloggers who exposed the fraud in the military records story) and SBVT had far more influence than similar people could have had, say, in 1960.

Give it 100 years and an alien invasion...and then maybe 2 brilliant 11 year olds will end World War V.

And yes, were OSC to become Locke, the likely result would be...President Miller? Zell would be my guess for Card's favorite politician at the moment.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
What are all you losers talking about? I am the new Locke. I mean, just look at my words.. there so.. english.. - no?

-Judas

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
Or some semblance of it . . . yes?
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
augirl987
Member # 7577

- posted      Profile for augirl987   Email augirl987         Edit/Delete Post 
There are plenty of political blogs on the web... the problem is just that there aren't any *outstanding* ones. And if there are great essayists out on the web, wouldn't it be hard to find them, with the millions of political blogs on the web?

Maybe I'm being a bit cynical.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at aragorn's reply: "The world HAD a Locke. He lived in the 1600's." [ROFL]

but then again, the world in Ender's Game had a Locke in the 1600s too. hmm.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

- posted      Profile for definitelynotvichysoisse   Email definitelynotvichysoisse         Edit/Delete Post 
What did the Locke in the 1600's have to say anyways? I'm wondering why Peter chose Locke as his Pseudonym.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
John Locke?

He basically was the one who created the thoughts of freedom and human liberties if I'm not mistaken... The USA owes a lot to him if I'm correct... though I might have my philosophers mixed up.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
why do we need a locke again?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What did the Locke in the 1600's have to say anyways? I'm wondering why Peter chose Locke as his Pseudonym.
I think I actually heard Denis Diderot turn over in his grave on this one.

---

As to us needing a Locke, I like how Bertolt Brecht put it in Galileo:
quote:
-Pity the land that has no hero.
-No. Pity the land that needs a hero.

[ March 17, 2005, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
We already have a John Locke. The only problem is, he's stranded on a desert island with polar bears, mysterious hatches, and invisible monsters at the moment ...
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
I could go for a good burrito right about now.
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Edgehopper, the only way to get control of the entire world right now is through take-over, as in warfare and bloodshed. And even if the US put all it's money and power into building its military, and more importantly, even if all us citizens were behind it, the US still wouldn't be able to. And right now, if the US can't no one can (sorry, but at this point in history thems the cards in military strength, though that is quite likely to change when China comes of age). For one man to be chosen peaceably as the leader of all man kind there has to be a reason for all the nations in the world (or most of them) to give up independence; alien invasion being the most popular reason.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
preferably with black beans and that mexican cheese, please?

oooohh.... who's gonna make my burrito?!!!!!

*tummy achey*

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
augirl987
Member # 7577

- posted      Profile for augirl987   Email augirl987         Edit/Delete Post 
if you want to know more about Locke:

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: John Locke

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

- posted      Profile for definitelynotvichysoisse   Email definitelynotvichysoisse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I think I actually heard Denis Diderot turn over in his grave on this one.

I don't know who Denis Diderot is either. I apologize for my untactful ignorance.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot soup,
Denis Diderot was a memeber of the French Enlightenment who believed that the one of the paths towards human progress was through education and making knowledge available to everyone. To this end, he created the Encyclopedia.

The Internet would send Denis into paroxysms of delight. It's what he was trying to create raised to the power of 1000. If you wanted to find out about something, say John Locke, all you need to do is type it into a little box and press enter and poof, there you go. He would, however, likely be driven to despair that people seem unwilling or unable to use this astoundingly revolutionary resource.

Ignorance isn't a shameful thing. Everyone is exteremely ignorant about a wide variety of very important things. Remaining ignorant, especially in the face of the astounding resources right within your grasp, is, however, something to be ashamed of.

[ March 21, 2005, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Who would we trust with a key? Oh wait...not lock, Locke...nevermind
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.