FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » LOTR reference in Alvin Journeyman?

Author Topic: LOTR reference in Alvin Journeyman?
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
****spoilers

As I was re-reading Alvin Journeyman I came upon chapter 14 "Witnesses" where Alvin is in jail and sings his song. One of the verses he says doesn't fit, from some else's dream or something along those lines.

Alone with my imagining
I dreamt the darkest dream,
Of tiny men, a spider's sting,
And in a land of smoke and steam,
An evil golden ring.

This book was written back in '95 so I wasn't sure if I was just seeing things.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink*
Jongo, you are aware that the books to which Card is making an homage in that passage existed well before 1995, right? [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
And yes, they are a reference to Lord of the Rings. I thought that was way cool when I read it, too. [Smile]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. But we all know that Middle-Earth didn't exist until Peter Jackson thought it up and made a trilogy of movies about it back in 2001-2003. [Wink]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely an hommage to Tolkien. We who write fantasy are all living in his dream. With Alvin Maker, I'm trying to do for America what he did for England with his trilogy.

Nothing less than hubris, I know.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With Alvin Maker, I'm trying to do for America what he did for England with his trilogy.
Then you missed the long, ponderous passages explaining in excruciating detail the history of each location and individual and why the world got to be the way it is.

Which is kind of a shame, because when I saw Seventh Son on the shelf and picked it up to see what it was about, I was already interested from reading the stuff on the back--but when I opened up the front and saw the maps, I knew right then and there that here was a book I had to buy, that very moment. So I'm dying to know how the maps came to be that way. I know you're not into writing extraneous stuff that doesn't affect the story and could be removed without a loss--but if you slipped a teensy bit of extraneous history into the last Alvin Maker book, I wouldn't complain. . . .

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I am aware that the books existed, just hadn't read Tolkien's books until after reading Journeyman for the first time.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

- posted      Profile for definitelynotvichysoisse   Email definitelynotvichysoisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to know more about the history of Alvin's America too. It's fascinating.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we'll have a supplementary volume called "The Salamanderillion."
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
You should do that. Only with a different title. I don't think The Salamanderillion would sell well, I rhymed.

[ March 19, 2005, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love a book like that. Many, many times I have felt teasted when reading the Alvin books, because I wanted to know more about the history of that world.

The Atlas of Alvin Earth

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd enjoy reading a collection of short stories set in various times and places in that world.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.