FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Enders Game should be..

Author Topic: Enders Game should be..
Locke2525
Member # 7554

- posted      Profile for Locke2525   Email Locke2525         Edit/Delete Post 
In every Highschools cirriculum..
in mine..the english classes read thingsl ike animal farm, night, ellen foster..ect...

ive ehard of highschool having enders game IN their cirriculum
i wish mine did

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
now, not to be mean or anything, but they should also teach grammar and spelling...

[Big Grin]

but yes, i wish that my school had ender's game on its reading list. i'd actually enjoy writing analytical essays, for once.

Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. Let those that want to read it read it. Let those that don't do otherwise.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I just sprayed soda all over my keyboard! Meshugener, can you say pot, kettle, black?

edit to make this more clear: I'm joking around...

[ March 20, 2005, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Boon ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
hey boon:

[Big Grin]

Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SailorNaboo
Member # 7604

- posted      Profile for SailorNaboo   Email SailorNaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a 41-year-old returning college student majoring in Education and will be getting a K-8 license. It will be on my suggested reading lists (I plan on focusing on the older grades).

If I ended up teaching 4th or 5th graders, I'm planning on using about a half hour after lunch for "Audio Book" time where the kids can sit quietly listening to the book and do other quiet things (drawing as one example). I may read out loud sometimes as well. The kids are usually sleepy after lunch anyway, so a quiet time with everyone sharing a good book should help them get ready for a more productive afternoon. We would talk about what was read at a logical story break. This way, they can be exposed to books that are above their grade level in terms of reading, but in terms of story, fascinating and appropriate for their age-group. Ender's Game would be one of the first I'd use.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunatly the school district seems to think Ender's game is too violent, gory, and evil for school where I go... *grumble*

Yet they demand we read Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven, The Cask of Almonioto(probably killed the spelling.), and the tell-tale heart.

Though our English teacher loves to hint at all students reading it like... once a week.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

oh man, the cask one gave me the willies lol
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they still dont make everyone read The Scarlett Letter
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott Card faces a serious threat to the production of Ender's Game into a movie. It's... Moms Against Children's Books' Violence! (MACBV!)

"Oh no, that poor spanish kid! MY SON SHALL NEVER READ AGAIN IN THIS DIMENSION! (and someone's getting a lawsuit!)

[ March 21, 2005, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Verai ]

Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locke2525
Member # 7554

- posted      Profile for Locke2525   Email Locke2525         Edit/Delete Post 
^
are u serious?

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

What if it's true !?

[Angst]

Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rosalind
Member # 7615

- posted      Profile for Rosalind   Email Rosalind         Edit/Delete Post 
It’s my spring break up here in Minot, North Dakota. In an ideal world, I would be out on a jog right now, enjoying the sunshine and new, green growth. But the harsh winds, pouring snow and 10 degree temperature has me sitting inside, drinking hot cocoa and browsing this forum instead. This thread made me want to pull out a particular soap box I haven’t stood on in awhile. [Wink]

But very quickly, since I am new to this site: My name is Amy, 24, and a newlywed that has left the warmth of Texas to follow my “Bean” (my gigantic, genius husband) to the ends of the earth for the Air Force. I’m finishing my English degree online, but I am not a writer. My left-brained mind loves to teach, read, analyze, rip apart, but create… now that’s amazing, and I admire all of you who do this.

To reply: Ender’s Game was part of the curriculum my junior year in HS, and I very much hope this novel will become a standard for HS curriculums. I was in honors classes, and I was always saddened by how many students (esp young guys) managed to get through HS without reading books! They got by on their brains, cliff-notes, lectures, creative (and hilarious) projects, but they didn’t read! When we were assigned Enders Game, our teacher gave us a Friday “reading day” to begin the book. We were ALL hooked. Students who had yet to read a book in HS, not only finished Ender’s Game, but went on to read the rest of the series, and at our teacher’s suggestion, the Dune series as well! Some of these guys are now English majors!

One more quick story: My sister was recently a freshman English teacher at a Baptist private school, and they did not pass Ender’s Game due to the violence. But my sister (who is young, cute, and energetic) enthusiastically suggested this novel to her class, and a few weeks later she received about half a dozen e-mails from moms saying basically this: “I don’t know what you did but THANK YOU! My son/daughter asked me a few weeks ago to bring him to Barnes and Noble… to buy a book, and then… he read it!”

I am convinced that by teaching students to love reading, these teachers have changed the lives of their students, whether it be in a big way - they one day become great teachers or writers - or a small way - they now have something to pass the time in case they are one day, say, stranded in North Dakota. [Big Grin]

So Orson Scott Card – Thank You.
Teachers – Thank You.

And thank you all for bearing with the length of this post!
Amy

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
While I wouldn't have been upset if EG was in my high school's curiculum, I thought Night and Animal Farm were pretty good books.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Books that I had to read in high school that I actually liked (when I read them in high school):
Dante's Inferno
Lord of the Flies
Brave New World
Beowulf
Grendel
Beckett
The Illiad
Hamlet (not a book, I know)

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Agnes Bean
Member # 7614

- posted      Profile for Agnes Bean   Email Agnes Bean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While I wouldn't have been upset if EG was in my high school's curiculum, I thought Night and Animal Farm were pretty good books.
I haven’t read Night, but I agree about Animal Farm, which is brilliant, and a great book for a middle/high school English class, because if you want to teach about symbolism, metaphor etc. it’s chock full of it. Plus if the teacher is good, the students end up learning a bit of history and a lot about different political systems as well (I know I did when I read it in seventh grade).

However, I would love to see Ender’s Game taught in more middle/high schools. Now, my high school runs it’s English program in a unusual way: other than English 9, there is no curriculum per se, instead students get to take semester long electives. Since we don’t have any heavily sci-fi based electives (other then the “Utopia’s and Dysutopias” class), there isn’t really any class for which reading Ender’s Game would make sense.

However, I do know it’s a much better, more interesting, more engaging, more emotion and more complex book than anything I read in middle school, bar perhaps Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies and Romeo and Juliet. I wish my school would replace one of the pointless, practically characterless books that nobody’s heard of with Ender’s Game. Maybe if they’d done that, my eith grade English class wouldn’t have been such a waste of time.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chocolate Pi
Member # 7590

- posted      Profile for Chocolate Pi   Email Chocolate Pi         Edit/Delete Post 
We demanded to read Ender's Game in our junior English class, even though the teacher was the only one who hadn't read it at least once...

Curiously it worked, and we got out of The Scarlet Letter. Can't say we were very sad about that... [Big Grin]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Rosalind, welcome to the forum! Hope to see more of you here.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
They complain about violence in EG, but let kids read Lord of the Flies? I read that in 7th grade and it really creeped me out.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
ENDER"S GAME IS ON MY HIGH SCHOOL LIST!! [Big Grin] very happy. I haven't read lord of the flies but i don't really intend to. change my mind if it's good. My school made us read The House Of The Scorpion, freaked me out more than any other book I read. If you think about it, Ender's game isn't really that violent. sure, some blood spill here and there but it's not bad

[ March 21, 2005, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Jasmine ]

Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
It was on my list! But of cours ! was taking an elective english course entitled "Science Fiction and Fantasy" Yea, it was an awesome class and my school rocked for offering it. I doubt many schools have an elective option like that.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Amy! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rosalind
Member # 7615

- posted      Profile for Rosalind   Email Rosalind         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the welcome! This is a really fun site. I've been filling time reading through past messages, and I've enjoyed reading all yall's posts! This is neat!

Amy

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely a good way to get started--I loved reading through the old threads when I was new. Are you looking at both sides, or just this one?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And by "both sides," Noem is asking if you've looked over here. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.