FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » It's six a.m. here ... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: It's six a.m. here ...
Belgarath
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Belgarath   Email Belgarath         Edit/Delete Post 
I cant eat Krispy Kreme its to much sugar for me anymore. i guess im getting to old to have alot of sweets anymore. [Blushing]
Posts: 40 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love Krispy Kream. then when I was a junior in high shcool I went to florida for a wrestling tournament. We wrestled for a couple days and vacationed for a couple. One of the scheduled sight seeing deals we decided to go on was to go snorkling. We all had a bunch of Krispy Kream and then hit the water. Unfortunately there were huge waves and we should have never gone out because everyone turned green and everysingle person save for myself and my two friends steve and brad spent the entire trip puking. I have a great memory of my mom with her head in a bucket the entire time. All very funny but it turned me off the goodness of the Krispy Kreams for life.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never particularly enjoyed donuts - well, maybe a good ole fashioned apple fritter from time to time . . . I know - highly un-American.

*shrugs*

I do like nummy blueberry muffins with fresh blueberries.

[Smile]

I don't like jet-lag. Although, rivka is right - melatonin is supposed to help regulate sleep. It helps the pineal gland do its' job better.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Keep your melatonin. I'd rather have melanin and a tan.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

It's not nice to brag about suntans, traveling man!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um, just so's you know, some of us call it "HatCrack."
I believe Pod originally coined the phrase. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
KK is okay when they're fresh and hot--they tend to taste kinda greasy to me, and the donuts are so airy that you're finished practically before you start eating it.

*best* donuts ever are from small doughnut places run by Asian families in California. Whenever we visit Cali my dad gets a box. Yum.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

I wasn't bragging. I don't HAVE a tan. I was just wishing for one.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a Krispy Kreme. That I can remember. But then, my memory's so lousy that it's actually possible, but I don't think they exist in Canada, do they? So that would severely limit the possibility.

I haven't had a donut or cruller or anything remotely close to anything you'd fine at a donut shop since leaving Canada. I'm lucky [Angst] that we have three McDonald's in the entire country, and one KFC, and 3 or 4 Pizza Huts, and a few Dominoes. I think I'd be pushing it by asking for doughnuts, too.

Sigh. [Grumble] [Grumble] [Grumble] [Mad]

Thanks for reminding me. [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you often crave visible signs of sun damage?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

A nice tan, when I can get one, keeps my psoriasis under control. Plus, I don't look so pasty white, like the belly of a fish. I learned long ago that overweight people like me look much better when the color of their skin isn't like a strobe light in its attention-getting whiteness.

I'm not talking about a please-may-i-have-some-skin-cancer tan, like somebody who has worked as a cowboy every day of their life. I'm just talking about a slight golden glow. I've had that about three time in my life and it was like a good makeup job without having to mess with the cold cream to get it off at night.

rivka
Member # 4859

*enjoys her fish-belly whiteness* [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
What about a spray-on tan?

(has to go get one of those, to cover up swimming suit lines on back, left over from really bad sumburn from last summer, so I don't look like even more of a dork in my matron of honor dress for my sister's wedding)

That was somewhat incoherent. I start my new job today and I was too nervous to sleep

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

spray on tans don't do anything for my psoriasis.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Just be careful - sunburns aren't nearly as attractive as tans. I have the tanning gene from my father, but I usually have a farmer tan. I refuse to go barefoot or sandalfoot when I garden. And now that I've taken to wearing kneepads, I get white stripes around my kneecaps. Perhaps I can start a trend - the "zebra" tan...

On doughnuts... Unfortunately, my metabolism won't allow me to indulge in them the way I'd like. If I eat too much sugar, I get fainty and weak. So I have a one-doughnut limit, which much also be accompanied by lots of milk and preferably a sausage or egg. If I eat a doughnut, I want it to be a REALLY GOOD one.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had my fish-belly complexion back. I haven't looked the same since I got that sunburn . . . seven friggin' years ago! [Mad]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sid, the only place I've seen Tim Hortons south of the US-Can border is Buffalo NY and my main gripe with their overproliferation there is that they are so popular that the West Coast obsession with espresso stands (every 35 ft if you please) has not managed to spread there and take hold. Worse, when I work out there, I actually have to drive around a while before I can find some place that makes chai tea.
jeniwren, the next time you are here (that is to say, Buffalo), I'm certain my wife could direct you to some fine places for chai tea. We DO have some coffee shops, they just aren't as obnoxiously omnipresent as they are everywhere else. [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC - you know it is just WRONG that you started this thread when almost everyone was at Bob & Dana's wedding, so we could't reply (well, at least those of us who don't yet own laptops. And the ones that had laptops were not the type to be up at six AM, unless they hadn't yet gone to bed).

I'm usually always online around that time in the morning, and I would have replied if it had been any other weekend in the year..... [Frown]

And that would have prevented you talking to yourself like that.

[Big Grin]
Farmgirl

(not to mention that fact that if you were going to be wide awake on Saturday anyway - you might as well have been at the wedding! in stead of talking to yourself at home)

[ April 04, 2005, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you upgraded to Civilization III? I found that it did wonders in feeding my addiction.

For awhile...

But now I can't stop shaking. Plus, I think the Mongols are about to invade.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belgarath
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Belgarath   Email Belgarath         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see what Civ IV looks like. [Blushing] [Eek!] [Big Grin]
Posts: 40 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow…. I think OSC has about 100 posts in less then a week! A record for sure!

Cool.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
Fish-belly white is fun!! At least that's what I keep telling myself since I can't really go out in the sun anyway. I flash fry. I can get a BURN in 20 minutes. My co workers asked me not to wear shorts until I used fake-tan because my legs look like glowsticks. (Yes, someone actually said Glowsticks to me...)

ah, the joys of Irish blood...

If only Guinness helped with the skin color - then I'd be a lovely shade of "stout"

[Wink]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't HAVE a tan. I was just wishing for one.
I don't and see no reason to have one - and I'm Middle-Eastern!

quote:
A nice tan, when I can get one, keeps my psoriasis under control. Plus, I don't look so pasty white, like the belly of a fish. I learned long ago that overweight people like me look much better when the color of their skin isn't like a strobe light in its attention-getting whiteness.
You're not fat. You're slim. It looks always like you're fat from the top - but what's noticable is your slim face.

I myself am probably around 75 KG, I'm 14 y.o. and I'm 1.75(+?) CM tall. I don't think that I'm particularly slim - as I eat much fat and do little sport - but I still receive compliments regarding my looks (from Raia, at least).

Live your way, but I see no problem about your body, personally...

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
J'aime moi Iced Cappicino....
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*enjoys her fish-belly whiteness* [Wink]
You're kidding, right? You're talkin' to the queen of lily-white here.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Dunking Doughnuts. an this addiction you better stay on forever be addicted to Hatrackl!
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I live real realy close to the equator, and I still don't have a tan. I don't go outside. I'm like a vampire . . .

I want a tan, but I can just never be bothered to actually go outside during the day in anything resembling a consistent basis. It's just too hot!

I'm a pinkie, and I'm okay . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

S'okay - I'm just dreaming of traveling farther than the borders of our continental 48 . . .
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's six a.m.
and do you know where your donut is?
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
When I got back from two years as a Missionary in Mexico I had a really nice tan on my arms and face (darker then some of the natives) although since I spent the two years in a white shirt and tie that was about all of me that was tanned. You know you need to do Something about your tan lines when you can take your shirt off and see the outline of a tie on your chest....
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

beverly, I may not be fish-belly white all over (largely because I'm not nearly as good about sunscreen as I should be), but except for my hands/ lower arms, feet, and face -- I'm pretty darn close.

Another advantage of wearing modest clothing. [Wink]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus, I think the Mongols are about to invade.
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree :
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
So twice five miles of fertile ground
With walls and towers were girdled round :
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree ;
And here were forests ancient as the hills,
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.

But oh ! that deep romantic chasm which slanted
Down the green hill athwart a cedarn cover !
A savage place ! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover !
And from this chasm, with ceaseless turmoil seething,
As if this earth in fast thick pants were breathing,
A mighty fountain momently was forced :
Amid whose swift half-intermitted burst
Huge fragments vaulted like rebounding hail,
Or chaffy grain beneath the thresher's flail :
And 'mid these dancing rocks at once and ever
It flung up momently the sacred river.
Five miles meandering with a mazy motion
Through wood and dale the sacred river ran,
Then reached the caverns measureless to man,
And sank in tumult to a lifeless ocean :
And 'mid this tumult Kubla heard from far
Ancestral voices prophesying war !
The shadow of the dome of pleasure
Floated midway on the waves ;
Where was heard the mingled measure
From the fountain and the caves.
It was a miracle of rare device,
A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice !
A damsel with a dulcimer
In a vision once I saw :
It was an Abyssinian maid,
And on her dulcimer she played,
Singing of Mount Abora.
Could I revive within me
Her symphony and song,
To such a deep delight 'twould win me,
That with music loud and long,
I would build that dome in air,
That sunny dome ! those caves of ice !
And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware ! Beware !
His flashing eyes, his floating hair !
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.

Ah, Opium! The joy of life!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Ha I never burn I just tan nicely!(Thats the truth too. I worked at a summer camp for a couple of months once and when I came back I was so dark people who didn't know me didn't think I was white. It was kind of odd...)

And does any one but me dislike most wheat products in general? Not a fan of doughnuts, muffins, cereal, bread, etc. Still eat it, just not a fan.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm lucky that we have three McDonald's in the entire country, and one KFC, and 3 or 4 Pizza Huts, and a few Dominoes.
oh my god. wow. i'm moving to Canada.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Uggh...I wish I could tan, it's kinda hard to do in Minnesota, any tan I do get in our 3 months of daylight goes away withing a month...If you can even call it a tan in the first place, my partially German skin turns more red than brown. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
oh my god. wow. i'm moving to Canada.
Uh . . . quidscribis lives in Sri Lanka. She's from Canada originally, but that's not where she lives now.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a tan in my life that wasn't first a burn. And even then it always looks a bit orangy.

I always use sunscreen now, but I really hate the stuff. Your skin can't breathe with it on. It doesn't allow sweat to evaporate, which makes your body temperature rise. In hot/humid conditions, sunscreen is a nightmare.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there a mike who is member 55? That sticks in my mind for some reason.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Verily, thanks for clarifying for me.

Soara, yes, indeed, I do not live in Canada any longer. Haven't for over a year and a half. I now live in a country where everywhere I go, I'm stared at for my pinkness. And whereas I was merely of average height in Canada, here, I'm positively tall for a female.

Unfortunately, I'm back to having to buy men's shoes because there are no women's shoes in the entire country that fit.

And I've been to McDonalds twice in the last year and a half, once to Pizza Hut, and we occasionally get pizza delivered from Dominoes. But let me tell you something - McDonalds is the only one that is consistently the same. It's true. [Big Grin]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Do they have a lot of neat and exotic (to Westerners) ingredients at places like Pizza Hut? For some reason, I'm always interested to learn how different cultures interpret our much-maligned "fast food culture". Like how in Germany, you get salami instead of pepperoni, and in Japan, you can get corn on your pizza.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You can get chicken biryani at KFC and McRice instead of fries at McDonalds. Pizzas can be devilled (spicy), chicken sausage is actually chicken wieners, cuttlefish (to you, squid) is included in the seafood toppings. At McDonalds, they have regular ketchup as well as chilli garlic ketchup, which I prefer by a long shot.

You can look at the Pizza Hut menu yourself in English, Sinhalese, or Tamil. [Big Grin] Oh, and apparently, we have 9 Pizza Huts here. I had no idea there were so many!

Pizza options include Tandoori Chicken Lovers, Mutton Lovers, and Devilled Chicken.

What else do ya wanna know? [Dont Know]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
mothertree--
Yes, he's talked about in several threads, including this one about Lub-dub circus.

Although I don't know what username he posts under now, if at all.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

To Jonathan Howard: I sincerely hope you meant you were 1.75 meters tall. 1.75 centimeters puts you in the Guinness Book of World Records as shortest organism to be able to post on the internet.

But your encouragement to me is kindly. Please remember, though, that the picture of me here on line was taken when I weighed about 20 kilograms less than I do now. Right now my head closely resembles a hot air balloon.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Whoa, that pizza has sausage baked right into the crust. That's so cool. I want to try that. [Grumble]

quote:
cuttlefish (to you, squid)
Those are actually different animals. They're closely related, and both are very tasty. But cuttlefish are not just squid. They're way cooler. [Cool]

[ April 06, 2005, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Well, I always replace CM and M, since I write in both formats. Occasionally someone thinks I'm a tiny organism or a particularly erect Titan.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I always replace CM and M, since I write in both formats."

Um. I could see confusing inches with meters because one writes in both formats. But confusing centimeters with meters is like confusing inches with feet. [Smile]

[ April 06, 2005, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Format (A): x.yz M;
Format (B): xyz CM.

Hey, we've got it 100-1000, not your weird 12-3-1760 system!

Decimality rules, because no-one will now convert to base 12.

JH

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you've exposed a secret advantage of English measurement: no one can get the decimal point wrong. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

And my prize?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

A good swift kick in the head?

Cuttlefish=squid is good enough for my purposes. I didn't know they were slightly different, so thanks for that. I just know that they look the same to me, so as far as I'm concerned, they are the same. Plus, here, they're treated as if they are the same. Kinda like plantains and bananas. In the Americas, there are distinctions between the two, but here, the labels are used interchangeably.

We get big squid here - really big. As in, the body is up to 12 inches long, and tentacles another 15 or 18 inches beyong that. Yowza!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.