FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Here in North Carolina we have... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Here in North Carolina we have...
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheap shot about Graceland, Mr. Card!

As my dear friend Deb, who is native to Memphis, emailed me months ago when she was trying to convince me to move back to Memphis:

Memphis has BARBEQUE: Nowhere else in the world can you cook a pig like you can in Memphis. We like it so much we even have the world championship BARBEQUE (pork) competition here.

I rest my case. I would also like to point out, on Deb's behalf, that people native to Memphis do not go to Graceland.

I went to college in Memphis for four years. I also never went to Graceland. This was for two reasons. A) I was poor and B) my friends were mostly from Memphis and refused to go.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Lawton was small and backwards. We moved there from Germany, and it seemed so removed from the rest of the world. The pace of life was almost glacial, with literally nothing to cause any sense of hurry. There was nothing to hurry to or from. The Wildlife reserve was neat, and so was the amazing artillery display that we saw, but unless you like explosions and prarie dogs there's not much there for you.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Syrjay
Member # 7706

- posted      Profile for Syrjay   Email Syrjay         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohio has..

cities such as Houston (How-ston) and Russia (rooh-she) and Versailles (ver-sales).

some of my favorite history as Simon Kenton and Tecumseh and Blue Jacket (whatever version you believe) travelled the grounds here.

obese people.

NC definitely has good barbecue. I have been to Raleigh a few times and always try to get to one of the local places for some proper barbecue.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Memphis in May! I saw it on FoodTV last year.

My hubby is going to Concord, NC in two weeks. Living in Georgia for over 20 years I am only exposed to the barbeque here. I know of the existence of Carolina barbeque but until this past weekend I had not had good Carolina barbeque. I really loved the one I tried. I want my hubby to bring me some good Carolina barbeque. Can anyone give him a suggestion as to where to go (to find good barbecue!)?

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Syrjay, Ohio has nothing on Dallas as far as obese people go. We're the fattest city in America! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh W
Member # 5253

- posted      Profile for Josh W   Email Josh W         Edit/Delete Post 
Here In Philly we have... real cheesesteaks, Yengling Lager (sp?), every type of Tasty Cake, 2 hour ride to the beach, and our nations birth.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.K. Slyder
Member # 7416

- posted      Profile for K.K. Slyder   Email K.K. Slyder         Edit/Delete Post 
Tennessee has the largest Methamphetamine problem in the whole Union. I live in TN (and while I'm in middle TN) I do not call the mountains as the appaLATCHins.

A few years ago we were the 49th worst state on spending money for education.

Tennessee also has the only democratic leader I can really stand- Phil Bredesen. He's much better than the crook who was in office before.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to POG in gallon jugs, Hawaii has Kalua pig, poi, chicken katsu (which is really Japanese), malasadas (which are really Portugese), Lomi salmon, chicken long rice, and plate lunch.

We also have the best beaches in the world, the most breathtaking views and the most expensive gasoline in the nation.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.K. Slyder
Member # 7416

- posted      Profile for K.K. Slyder   Email K.K. Slyder         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the price of gasoline in Hawaii?
Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I paid $2.77 this morning. Which really isn't the worst part. The worst part is, every time gas prices go up on the mainland, ours go up too, but ours NEVER come down. The last time yours went up (this summer maybe? I forget what season it is), ours peaked at about $2.71, then went "down" to $2.69 until the last price hike a couple of weeks ago.

These are Maui prices - they're lower on Oahu and the Big Island, about the same on Kauai and about 30-40 cents higher on Molokai, Lanai and in Hana on Maui. [Angst]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Hawaii seems so small on the map...can't you guys just walk everywhere [Wink]
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
In Europe the gas price (well, in France) is about $6.

P.S.- I live in Washington State

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rochester, NY has something called a "garbage plate," which is a food item including hamburger, hotdogs, mustard, home fries, macoroni salad, and lots of other stuff I'm forgetting. Real garbage plates come from a greasy spoon diner called Tahoes, and NOWHERE ELSE
I'd just like to second the garbage plates. I've had one and it was very good.

Washington has trees! Oh, sure other states claim to have trees, but in PA the forest is a ghostly grayish color for over half the year (the half the year I'm here). In Washington though (only the western side, the eastern side might as well be part of Idaho) the trees and the forests are a rich green brown all year round. If you can see through the current fog/precipitation, your eyes will see a green tree. I miss it a lot.

Washington also has the ideal climate. Rarely below 40 (F) in the winter, and rarely above 85 in the summer. Not to mention that it isn't insanely humid in the summer nor painfully dry in the winter. Of course now that I've told all of you this, you'll want to move there too. And another wooded lot I played on as a child will be bulldozed and turned into a housing development [Grumble] .

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I have to agree with you about Washington. I lived there for a few months in late 1985 and was very sorry to leave. If I ever move back to the mainland, that's where I'll go.
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah! Well here in Minnesota we have...um...hmm...I'll get back to you on that.

We have the best food that traditional Scandanavian and German cooks have to offer. Our Bratwurst would kick the stuffing out of anybody else's. Homemade sour-kraut. Lefse is awesome. And the traditional Norsk delicacy...Lutifisk (jk, it's a very aquired taste...I WOULD NOT suggest it to anybody that isn't daring enough to eat cod thats been soaked in drain-o for a week.)

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, we have a ton of bugs/mosquitoes. Especially if you go into a forest; those suckers can seriously get 2" long.
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

Oh, and we have the best Walleye you'll ever taste.
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Verai, Brian J. Hill and Boris - I'm quite familiar with Sun Drop, Cheerwine, and BC Powders (unfortunately so on the BC's).

Ever tried Cheerwine poured over vanilla ice cream in a tall glass? Yummy!

While we have Sun Drop here now, when I was a kid, we could only find it when we visited my grandparents in Chimney Rock. It seems like this was the same for Cheerwine, but I might be wrong about that.

Hey Boris - just read your landmark "1001 Dalmations"; small world. For a short while I lived in Chimney Rock and went to school in Edneyville, a hop, skip and jump from Hendersonville.

Which reminds me, NC also has the "hatching of the monarchs". I'm sure this must happen everywhere, but I've not seen it happen in such a way since. One day when I was in school at Edneyville, I walked out of the building and the sky was filled, absolutely filled, with butterflies. It was amazing and utterly beautiful.

Edit: too many "and"s

[ April 14, 2005, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: arevoj ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Chaos,
While I'm sure your bratwurst is great, I've found none that none can compare with buying it from the street-vendors in Ulm, Germany. Although, the food court at the Augsburg PX had great bratwurst and nachwurst...either way, I guess there's something to be said for going to the source [Smile]

Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cheerwine poured over vanilla ice cream in a tall glass
Sounds absolutely exquisite. I still have two bottles of Cheerwine in my fridge. I'll try to remember to get some vanilla ice cream tonight. Should I get regular vanilla or French vanilla? Any particular brand?
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.