FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Shameless Praise

Author Topic: Shameless Praise
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card, I would like to thank you for writing Shadow of the Giant. Out of all of your work that I've read, that was the first time I've felt myself so heavily emotionally invested. I nearly cried man, I nearly cried.

Good work.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll squeeze those tears out yet.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit that I got misty when Petra finally found out Bean's secret plan. [Cry]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

That's not a spoiler, is it? I mean, Bean's always got a secret plan, right?
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read Lost Boys? 'Cause that one gets me at the end every single time. I don't break down until the very last line, although I'm sniffing well before that. After I read that last line, though, I'll bawl for about half an hour.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

I never read that, but I about lost it when Garth from the Elf Queen of Shannarah died.
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I haven't read Lost Boys, but it will certainly end up on my list.

To tell you the truth though, the first time I saw it mentioned on this board I thought about the 80s movie staring Keifer Sutherland.

"Maggots Michael, you're eating maggots."

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get through Ender Shadow without totally losing it several times. I mean these kids are so young and never experience what it's like to be innocent and have a childhood. [Cry]

It breaks my heart.

[ April 07, 2005, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Steev ]

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Clostest I've come (to crying that is) while reading an OSC book was at the end of Songmaster. Dunno why... that book just did something for me

SotG didn't really do much of anything in that area, though I guess any book is bound to affect different people in different ways

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I read Red Prophet, I brought it to work with me and read on my breaks. I always do that with the book I'm currently reading, but what I wasn't counting on was the scene at Tippy-Canoe. Yeah, I had to stop and finish the scene at home. [Blushing]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Shadow of the Giant was the first book ever that made me cry, I did... Though actully in Ender's Game when Enderm left and Val is like "I'll always love you" that wa a lil sad. I didn't cry but it was sortih.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost Boys had me bawling my eyes out like very few books have ever done. I cry starting in the second to last chapter and don't stop till five minutes after I've finished the book.

I'm pretty sure SftD must've made me cry at points, although probably not that hard. I don't think it was the scene with Human, either. I think what got me was the scene with Ela by the river. And when Pipo was killed, perhaps. However, not memorable crying. The Ender books don't make me cry in that sort of way, generally.

*SotG SPOILERS*

The only place I got misty in SotG was when Petra confronted Mazer saying that she knew perfectly well it would be easier for them to kill Bean and the children, and Mazer turned around and said, "What do you think we are?" and she kept right on accusing him and he denied her accusations... that scene. For some reason that was the scene that got me. I could just feel Mazer's shock, his hurt surprise. He wasn't a character I empathized with before that scene, and I'm not sure why I empathized so strongly within that scene, but I did.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that I become more weepy with each passing year.

I really wish that I had read Lost Boys before I became a husband and a father. It hits too close to home, and I find it too painful to read. I have started it more than once, and have never finished it.

It's there on my bookshelf, mocking me.

Part of the reason why it is so painful is that I've read the short story, so I know pretty much what happens. I don't have to wait until the last few chapters for things to get tragic.

[ April 07, 2005, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Portabello ]

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
In Ender's Shadow, when Bean quotes scripture to the people about to die, "O my son Absalom . . . my son, my son Absalom. Would God I could die for the . . ." I just can't help crying. Every time.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even have to read all of Lost Boys for the end to make me cry. When I'm feeling sentimental and tired, I have a few books that I like to read the end of just for the good cry. Lost Boys and Anne McCaffery's Killashandra always do that for me.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.