FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » No Speaker Film?!?

Author Topic: No Speaker Film?!?
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(b) that's in a later book and nobody working on the movie gives a d*** about them.

Our concern is for the millions of viewers we want to have see the movie who HAVEN'T read any of the books, and the millions of Ender's Game readers who have never actually read Speaker for the Dead. They spend WAY more movie-going money than the three hundred people who read Xenocide.

Wait a gosh-darn minute. Are you implicating there won't be a film sequel to Ender's Game? Doesn't that violate the rules of cinema? I mean, do they even make movies in Hollywood anymore that don't have sequel potential? No Speaker trilogy film? Say it ain't so!!

In all seriousness, though, I do think a condensed version of the Speaker trilogy could make one heckuva movie (or two).

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandEyeProtege
Member # 7565

- posted      Profile for HandEyeProtege           Edit/Delete Post 
It would violate the rules of cinema even more egregiously to have a sequel which wasn't just a rehash of the original with an expanded special effects budget!

Seriously, though, if sequels are made they will follow the Shadow series.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a shadow following series will be a lot more interesting to do on a movie then a Speaker for the Dead and beyond series... A lot of those events and importance in the rest of the Ender's series are just not high flying, bomb exploding, action packed sequences, atleast that the average movie goer would undersatnd.
You also have a problem with some of the more... shall we say graphic scenes from speaker...
Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
A Speaker For the Dead movie would be way too good to happen IMHO.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

- posted      Profile for AutumnFire   Email AutumnFire         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Speaker would be about as dificult to translate well to the screen as the Foundation series would be. It's simply too expansive in a way which still makes it unsuitable for the typical "epic" treatment. I think a good speaker movie (emphasis "good") is unlikely for that reason. However, I would love to be proved wrong! [Big Grin]
Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the shadow series would make absolutely great movies. Let's get Peter Jackson working on them all at the same time.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Speaker for the Dead is unfilmable. Lots of talking heads, interrupted by moments of unwatchable violence.

Warner Bros. optioned the film AND ALL ITS CHARACTERS. So any film using the same characters has to be done by them or with their consent.

If they made a sequel, it would be a miracle if it had anything to do with any of the other books in the series. Most likely it would be a cynical hollywood sequel. In other words, the same movie all over again.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

I think you're right that Speaker is unfilmable. I guess I was thinking more of some of the sequences in Xenocide and COTM that would look good on film, especially the "inner space" stuff, or whatever that was called. In the end, though, I guess it's all too hard-core sci-fi to work.

quote:
If they made a sequel, it would be a miracle if it had anything to do with any of the other books in the series. Most likely it would be a cynical hollywood sequel. In other words, the same movie all over again.
But you have final say, right? They can't make some ridiculously stupid sequel without your approval, can they?
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.K. Slyder
Member # 7416

- posted      Profile for K.K. Slyder   Email K.K. Slyder         Edit/Delete Post 
"Outside" as it's called would also be unfilmable. First, as I recall there were no windows in the spaceship- and secondly- how do you film nothing. The literal actually nothing, you couldn't have like swirling light for philotes (if they did that's what they try and do) it wouldn't make any coherent sense and it'd be pretty stupid too.

I don't think any of the rest of the books could work out- the Shadow series would even be boring- who wants to look at maps of troops moving, when you could film another movie where you could actually be part of the troops?

I really think that few of OSC's books could be turned into movies- maybe Enchantment or Lost Boys. I can't say much about the Alvin Maker series (haven't read it yet) maybe one of his short stories like, "West" from Folk of the Fringe, or "Pageant Wagon"

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go see the Speaker movies if they made them, but I just don't think they'd work out very well as movies. The Shadow series might be a different story.
Treasure Box might be a pretty cool movie or the Alvin Series. But I think we all know what OSC story would make the best movie.
*drum roll*
Damn Fine Novel! Ohhh yeah

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

- posted      Profile for Rose the ____   Email Rose the ____         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, I hope this doesn't get too many laughs...

A miniseries. Speaker as a miniseries. or the whole Ender adult trilogy as a television miniseries. Of course on the Sci-Fi Channel...

it probably wouldn't work on film period, and yes, the violence is too graphic [Frown] . <sigh>... and here I grew up reciting whole chapters to myself and imagining seeing people play these roles on the screen. ah well.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
As its been pointed out before, many people don't find the Speaker series as appealing as the Shadow series, it goes in a way different sci-fi direction and I wouldn't be upset if it wasn't a made into a movie. I already have my mental picture of it and the movie could only come from the book, so "why bother?" is a little bit of a feeling I'm getting. So what's the date on the Ender's Game movie, 2020? [Dont Know]
Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, it kind-of depends on the popularity of EG: THe Movie. Say if it got 12 Academy Awards ::grins:: there might be effort for a sequal- be it of the shadowy type, or more of a speach. You never know, Senior OSC might get an enormous paycheck from this (EG: The Movie) and.... and.... might RETIRE FROM WRITING (Just kidding! he wouldn't leave us like that... I hope ::tears: [Smile]

~Aphotic (X12)

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
How about: All the filmable portions of Speaker for the Dead as one music video on MTV!
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Yeah, that's totally like, a great idea. But what music would it be set to? I vote for some offensively bad rap song.
Syrjay
Member # 7706

- posted      Profile for Syrjay   Email Syrjay         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they could make Speaker for the Dead into a television show. Why? Think about how the show could work: you have a person who goes around and solves family mysteries and secrets and by giving a Speaking. I think it's a perfect tv show. Of course, someone would screw would need to change the show because they are lose creative ideas and in Ender would be involved in some sex scandal with Valentine.

Sorry..got off track there. [Smile]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
"Touched by a Speaker"?

No, I've got it.

"The Incredible Speaker"- Andrew wanders around doing odd jobs. At the end he invariable gets angry, his muscles bulge and rip his clothes off (except for his purple pants) and he in his rage, gives a speaking that transforms the involved parties.

"Speaker Fu"- Andrew wanders around doing odd jobs on a planet called WestWorld. He is searching for his brother Peter after having finally been allowed to leave the Battle School Monastery. Invariably, people pick on him so in the end, he kicks butt and then speaks, all in glorious slow-mo.

"Highway to Battle School"- Andrew wanders around after having been sent from Battle school to touch the lives of people of earth. Michael Landon stars as his moustachioed wise cracking, rough around the edges friend. In one episode, after helping an old-folks home get enough money to keep running (by gambling on a dog race and then asking Graff at the Battle School to make sure their dog wins) all the residents of the home die. So Andrew speaks for them and then wanders on.

[ April 13, 2005, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: IanO ]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Touched by a Speaker"
"Now, Billy, please tell the courte where exactly the Speaker touched you, and you may use a doll."

"Here (points to the doll), here, and here."

(breaks down and cries.)

Errmm. OOps, off topic there. A MTV Speaker serious? ::shudders:: Senior OSC, you're scarier than the toothfairy!

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trashcan_Man
Member # 7345

- posted      Profile for Trashcan_Man   Email Trashcan_Man         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't think they would make a movie sequel for either series since they probably wouldnt want to separate Ender and Bean since theyll be the main characters in the movie. Now...a tv *mini-series* of some sort...
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonelywalker
Member # 7815

- posted      Profile for lonelywalker   Email lonelywalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Surely "Speaker" is actually simpler to translate to film than even "Ender's Game"? It's easily sellable as an extraterrestrial murder mystery, complicated by misunderstandings between humans and piggies. It's practically "I, Robot" (the Will Smith film) with piggies instead of robots.

Yes, I know this is a huge oversimplification, but if Asimov can be ground down into movies, Card can as well. And it is much easier to reduce "Speaker" than it is to reduce Ender's Game. Yet, "Ender's Game" will be a movie. I agree that Xenocide and Children of the Mind do get rather epic in scope, but "Speaker" should be feasible. It would be possible (and interesting) even if you didn't link it to "Ender's Game".

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

lonelywalker, I'm all for it. Since you have such a clear idea as to how it should be done, I suggest you start writing the script and then email to OSC. Then after EG gets made, he can use your script as a template for getting Speaker done.

I recommend starting soon, though, since they'll want to have it cooking after Ender's Game makes a billion dollars.

lonelywalker
Member # 7815

- posted      Profile for lonelywalker   Email lonelywalker         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Do I detect the merest hint of sarcasm there, BryanP?
Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Actually, I knew it would come off as sarcastic, but I didn't really mean it to be (too much, at least). Since OSC doesn't think it's filmable, I doubt he'd try to write a script for it...but maybe if someone put the effort into it, they could get something that might work. So, I was partly serious...
Nelson
Member # 7761

- posted      Profile for Nelson   Email Nelson         Edit/Delete Post 
The way to put speaker in a movie would not be on the big screen rather, in week long mini series liek steven king always does. I mean the special effects would be a little lower scale but over all you could tell the story. The way speaker reads you would need Xenocide and Children to tell the whole story. No matter how much we all want to see them on the screen it makes more sense and people would be more apt to take in the whole story and then go buy the books and get what we have had all along. Ender's game has got blockbuster written all over it the rest of the series is more introspective than Game because the action is far and between. By the time i got this far in the post i'm not really sure all the thoughts are coherent but i have tried ;-)
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonelywalker
Member # 7815

Apologies for misinterpreting you, BryanP.

I think it *would* be very easy to grind Speaker down into its basest components: murder mystery, racial tensions, family divisions, and make a Hollywood blockbuster type movie along the lines of "I, Robot". I'm not sure at all that it would be any *good*, but it's surely possible.

A few people have suggested the mini-series idea, and it's a good one in terms of its having the most hope for preserving the depth of the book, its philosophy, and its connections with the rest of the Enderverse. However, I can't think of mini series lately that have actually fulfilled their promise. "Earthsea" seemed to be universally despised by the fans (and the author!) of the original books. I know "Dune" was a success, but I wasn't convinced - it never captured what made the book speak to me. Perhaps I am asking too much from film or TV, but then again, perhaps it is better to leave such 'literary' books well alone.

In some ways I'm concerned by the dismissal of Speaker, Xenocide, etc, because it would seem to me to indicate that what the filmmakers WANT from Ender's Game is NOT the philosophy or psychology or intelligence that dominates all these books, but rather the 'cool' ideas of the Battle Room and little kids fighting computer wars that are only found in the first book. I would hope not, given Mr. Card's involvement, but it does make me rather wary.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.