FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ah Card, your wisdom spreads throughout the stars.

Author Topic: Ah Card, your wisdom spreads throughout the stars.
DaiTenshi
Member # 7759

- posted      Profile for DaiTenshi   Email DaiTenshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I really should stop with all of this idolatry and what-not. Having been reading the Left Behind series behind Card's back, I've been awakening to all sorts of views and values.

None of the writing itself however, compares to the emotions portrayed in Card's novels . . . all of it is wisdom from the Bible. Card's novels are wisdom from himself. I value the Bible, but Card is a close second, if not for a fear that God will think I'm worshipping another Man . . .

[Angst]

Oh God, I'm confused.
Anyway, getting past that long-winded statement of sheer irrelevance, I wanted to tell Card that I've gotten my friend, Adam, hooked on the Ender Series. Or at least, it is because of me that he is able to continue reading the novels, which he pressures me to obtain for him nearly every day.

So not only have I assisted in turning him to the series, but I continue to help him by lending him the books . . . which probably isn't what Card wanted, because he loses money off of me.

I'm SO SORRY!!!

In any case, I'm not lending him Shadow Of The Giant, or any of the novels following Ender's Game (he's reading the Bean portions). That's his call.

By the way, I was in need of something heartfelt last night, so I decided to glance through the ending of SOTG, and when I was reading the final chapter, I found myself wondering: Did Card write this to go with Ender's Game? Of course not, because Ender's Game arose with Speaker for the Dead, and I really don't think Card planned that far ahead. Needless to say though, the language seems as if he had written it before he even started the novel (at least the begginning after Bean's email), and I was wondering whether or not I was right or not (redundancy).

A response would be much appreciated, but I'm not partial to it, sooo, do as you will, since you are after all, God to me (lie). STOP MEDDLING!!!

Life is funny. Then again, I always thought that the cereal was just a little too square . . . (lol)

[ April 28, 2005, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: DaiTenshi ]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I just read something he wrote called "I give you my permission".

I liked it.

Umm. Don't worship the man, though. That's just weird. =/

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that in the end of the book in the acknowledgements he says that he was reminded of the idea of Peter and Ender having a talk (if I remember correctly).
Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
None of the writing itself however, compares to the emotions portrayed in Card's novels . . . all of it is wisdom from the Bible. Card's novels are wisdom from himself.
Left Behind isn't 'wisdom from the Bible' - it's cleverly marketed Bible Fan Fiction.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Please! Lend ALL my books! It's readers that I want! Minds to infest with my made-up memories of histories that didn't happen!

How do you think I find new readers, except by the lending of books? I'm a book lender or giver myself. I make a good living from people who want to own my books for themselves; and as long as libraries freely lend books, why shouldn't individuals?

So don't punish your friend Adam for wanting to read more of my stories without being able or willing (whichever) to pay for them. don't withhold from him the elixir of ... er ... moderately entertaining fiction!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Left Behind isn't 'wisdom from the Bible' - it's cleverly marketed Bible Fan Fiction.
[ROFL] *shamelessly steals*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that.

::shamelessly "borrows"::

[ April 29, 2005, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Earendil18 ]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't count the number of times that I have read a borrowed book, only to later buy that book as a gift for a friend or family member. I would say that 90% of the books I buy are not for myself, and I rarely buy someone a book that I have not read. -dab
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.K. Slyder
Member # 7416

- posted      Profile for K.K. Slyder   Email K.K. Slyder         Edit/Delete Post 
Left Behind on their own- they're not very good. I love the books though- because I'm into the whole prophecy thing- and I take their viewpoints on most things.

I have to say I have had the same problem with OSC vs. the Bible. However I started memorizing parts of the bible for these competition things I do- I never memorized any of OSC's works- although one of these days that'd be pretty funny. Better yet would to just memorize the entire Ender Quartet. (yeah right...) And decided some time last year that I liked the Bible more than OSC's works (that was troubling me for a while too...)

[ April 29, 2005, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: K.K. Slyder ]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'll ever borrow books again. Let's see... the two I have now that I borrowed years ago are "slightly different condition" then they were before and when I get the courage I'll actually even return them. Oh yea, there was also that other book I borrowed that was stolen.

For all that is good in this world do not let me borrow one of your books. Nothing good can come from it, which is odd since all my books that are actually mine are in perfect condition.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.