FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Age of First EG Reading? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Age of First EG Reading?
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably 27 or 28. I'm still a wee chick in Card's realm of books since that was four or five years ago. A friend of mine told me about Ender's Game and I made a sort of mental note to check it out. I must have kept that note because two or three years later I picked it up and tore through it really fast. I loved it, but you know what? I loved Speaker for the Dead much, much more!

However, my first exposure to OSC was the novelization for The Abyss. I'm a big Camron fan and read the book before the film. I didn't figure out it was Card's work though until a few years ago when I'll pulled that paperback out of a box in my garage.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamsfrood42
Member # 7464

- posted      Profile for adamsfrood42   Email adamsfrood42         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 14...my English teacher was kind of a mentor of mine and she told me I'd relate to it.

Good Lord, was she right. I was practically crying when it came time to deliver my report on it.

Tragically enough, I didn't know there were sequels to it until I was 15. That's when I stumbled upon Bean...and the rest is history.

Eagerly awaiting Shadows in Flight...and, by "eagerly awaiting," I do mean almost chewing my legs off...

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
Tragic, indeed.
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 12, in 6th grade (3 years ago). I wasn't very popular at that point in my school career and frequently I found myself saying OMG that is exactly what I'm like. I have read the entire enders series once, the entire bean series once. That is the extent of my OSC readings, I plan to read more soon but yeah, my bro keeps reccomending other things to read. and I have to finish the Dispossessed (by LeGuin) that I got like halfway through then stopped.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
teoivan
Member # 8049

- posted      Profile for teoivan   Email teoivan         Edit/Delete Post 
About 14. I was (and still am) mad about sci-fi. I took EG with another 5 or 6 books from the library and read it so fast that I even forgot ot see who was the writer. Several months later i try to get it again but it was vanish and from the catalog too. 3 years ago in the bus I saw a girl who carry EG I wrote down the holy name OSC. Now I have all his books which are translated here. There is God in heaven. Thank you.
Posts: 22 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in the 8th grade so... what? 14 years old. I had heard about it somewhere and remembered the name for some reason when I was looking for a cool book. Found it at my library and took it home and read it in a matter of days. I now own 30 copies of teh book and use it ini my classroom as well as give it to anyone that asks.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inspired
Member # 8130

- posted      Profile for Inspired   Email Inspired         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 10 when I read Ender's Shadow, then when I was 12 I read Ender's Game. I liked Bean's story better though, because he was the ultimate underdog, and Ender seemed to be the golden boy.
Posts: 34 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorDevice
Member # 8137

- posted      Profile for DoctorDevice           Edit/Delete Post 
Age 15

when i bought speaker for the dead the guy at Borders said that its a good series...and it is!!

wow...that was irrelevant

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I read it in our late 30's. Loved it.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was 10 or so... It's been a while.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
I was about 11 or 12 when I first read it and back then I was just like "Hey, this is cool that this kid is saving the world!" I also got all the rest of the books for Christmas and read them all when I was about 13.

Now I'm 15 and I just re-read ALL of the books in both the Ender and Shadow Series in this order:

The Polish Boy (in FM)
Teacher's Pest (in FM)
Ender's Game
Investment Counselor (in FM)
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

...and all of a sudden I really understood the impact and all of the themes in the books. The characters weren't just heroes saving the world, they were real kids who had a life.

I lent EG to a friend in 7th grade and he read about 2/3 of it but he didn't like it much. I also knew another kid who was in 6th grade while I was in 8th, and one day we were walking through the elementary building on our way to a bus for a Gifted class field trip, and there was one of those "Reading" posters of a kid reading EG. Matt (the 6th grader) said "Hey I read that." and immediately I said "Really? That's like my favorite book." We got into a discussion on the bus and I ended up loaning him the whole Ender series one at a time...he eventually bought them or got them from the library, though.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.