FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Age of First EG Reading? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Age of First EG Reading?
lonelywalker
Member # 7815

- posted      Profile for lonelywalker   Email lonelywalker         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave "Ender's Game" to one of my lecturers to read recently, and he told me at our last class that he was about 2/3 of the way through it, but it "wasn't his thing".

I was wondering whether it makes a great difference how old you are when you first read Ender's Game, and how it affects your opinion of the novel. I read it when I was about 12, and very readily identified with Ender. My lecturer is probably around 60, and otherwise seems to like science fiction.

So how old were you all? Does age matter?

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talison
Member # 7935

- posted      Profile for Talison   Email Talison         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I was eight the first time I read it (and prone to raiding parents bookshelves [Wink] )
My father however had to have been at least mid-thirties and he loves the books probably just about as much as I do.
Honestly cannot say if my age at the time had anything to do with it, I identified with much older characters in other stories too.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delusional1
Member # 7896

- posted      Profile for delusional1   Email delusional1         Edit/Delete Post 
well considering i was about ender's age in EG when it came out, i was much older. i just read all of books in both series within the past 2 months. i'm 24. i don't think age has anything to do with enjoyment of the book beyond being able to comprehend the action. actually, i think i enjoyed it more now than i would have had i read it when i was half the age i am now.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evo
Member # 7940

- posted      Profile for Evo           Edit/Delete Post 
i first read it at 16, because my friend would not stop screaming about how good it was. I kept scoffing at the idea of a book about a 9 year old saving the world.

Needless to say, i loved every second of the book and all its sequels.

I then gave it to my mum who at 50+ (she'll kill me if i gave the real age) Loved it as well.

I don't think its a quest of age, but a question of personal taste.

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
10 or so.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7816

- posted      Profile for 1135813   Email 1135813         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it has something to do with how into the Traditional View of Childhood the reader is? My mother (whose sole duty in life is to make sure her children turn out happy, intelligent, sensitive beings) hated the whole book, and kept insisting that children /just/ /don't/ act like that.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Around 9 or thereabouts. I was excited to find good scifi whose main characters were kids.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Member # 7458

- posted      Profile for AB   Email AB         Edit/Delete Post 
I first read EG in college, around 18 or 19 yo, and I liked it. But I liked SftD much better. That might have been an age thing.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 17.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Short story: 16
Novel: 28

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
I was eleven.
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EyeRock
Member # 7929

- posted      Profile for EyeRock   Email EyeRock         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in graduate school and loved every word - but I had read it as a short story first. I was just thrilled to see the story fleshed out.

I was very invested in the story and then ES gave me a twilight zone type moment making me re-think EG and Ender himself.

As a parent now I see my children in those roles instead of myself - another interesting turn.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

- posted      Profile for seespot   Email seespot         Edit/Delete Post 
I was probably 14 or 15. My parents read it for the first time around then too, putting them around 40. Funny, I actually met OSC at my house and had no idea who he was, listened to a spirited discussion, then read the my mom's autographed copy of the book a couple of weeks later. Needless to say, I loved it. Now I'm trying to get my husband to read it. . .
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I was around 23 when I read enders game. I read far more fantasy the scifi. Other than OSC and Crichton, I doubt there is a scifi author who I have read more than 2 books from. I did read Xenocide when I was a teen though (my parents had it)

[ May 05, 2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was 23 or 24 when I first read it. I have reread it several times since then and I am currently trying to find my copy to loan to a coworker.

[Edited for spelling: s/load/loan/]

[ May 05, 2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: DavidR ]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I was fourteen. I had my mom read it, she was 45, and she really didn't like it.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember how old I was... in high school, I think.

Me and my two brothers all loved the book and would talk about how great it was constantly.

So finally, my mother read it just to see what the big deal was. She enjoyed it, but I don't think she saw what the fuss was about... [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I was 12--14 (6th--8th grade) when I read it for the first time because my science teacher said in class that it was good. I remember thinking that the ending was a good surprise, but that the rest of the book was awfully slow and talky. (Of course, I also remember liking the Dragonlance Chronicles better ...)

I read it "for real" for the first (and so far only) time at 22 (just after graduating college), after having read a few other OSC books, in particular How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy, which first convinced me that this author knew what he was talking about.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
i was 12.
Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 14 or 15 and I really liked it. When I convinced my mom to read it though she found it very disturbing the way children were portrayed. I think it might have more to do with what kind of child you were. Precocious children would be more likely to read the book and identify with Ender, whereas if you read it at the urging of someone else, when you were an adult, it is possible that you don't recall kids like Ender and are unable to believe that such a story could happen.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan G
Member # 7964

- posted      Profile for Jonathan G   Email Jonathan G         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 14 or 15 I believe. It was my senior year and it showed up in two places for me: Real Life Comics, the character's reading it and gets all confused about the philosophy and stuff, and then I think some one else mentioned it on a forum about that time so I thought "Hey, I might as well read this".

So I read it.

And then the rest of the series.

Then on to Bean's series.

Then waited impatiently for the next novel.

And now I'm here. I've read all of them several times, and without a doubt Ender's Game (and the series) is my all time favorite series. I especially enjoy the way the old novels and the new novels intertwine with each other, or will eventually I suspect by the way that Card talks and the way you could easily interpret many of the happenings at the end of SotG occurring together in hand with Ender's novels. Good stuff.

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 7-8 age.. I was in Fourth grade and i skipped recess for a week to read it. Mind you im not a nerd and that wasnt a normal thing. Im currently 15 and im on my 17th readthrough of EG. ES i read about a year later. I tried to struggle through The rest of the Ender series when i was about 8 and it was just surface reading.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayren
Member # 7317

- posted      Profile for Ayren   Email Ayren         Edit/Delete Post 
10 was the first time I read it.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 

lots of adults think it's weird and full of lies, whereas very few kids do. however, most adults love it just as much as kids.

i like it's best for ages 9-13, but i doubt anyone agrees with me. [Razz]

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 12 when I first read Ender's Game. It was Birthday Gift from my Aunt, who I assume had read it herself and would only give it to me if she had liked it.

At my first reading, I saw it solely as child dealing with a confusing world where he had only other's expectations to fulfill, and not his own. Of course it deepened after every reading.

I haven't recommended it to others yet, but I know I should.

I disagree with you, Soara. I'll be reading and enjoying EG well into old age.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
9 or 10... Can't remember for sure. It was during fifth or fourth grade and my father and I were going into the mountains to do a ham-radio contest. So, he tossed that at me to keep me entertained for the ride up.

I loved it. ^_^

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 22 when I read EG.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rooter
Member # 7950

- posted      Profile for Rooter   Email Rooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 8(4th grade) i bought it through a book fair at my school, because my mom gave me money for a book and i didnt want to have to give the money back so i bought it randomly.

I read it straight through and loved it. I attempted to read the sequels and got all the way through to CotM and finally put it down because i couldnt really understand and grasp what was going on in those books.

Ender's Game(20x Read)
Ender's Shadow(10x Read)

i cant put them down [Big Grin] I have gotten at least 10-20 friends hooked on the book now.

Rooter

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I first read it at age 9 and it has stayed with me every since ...

No, wait ...

Sorry, confused there.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evo
Member # 7940

- posted      Profile for Evo           Edit/Delete Post 
HAHA sorry i almost fell off my chair with that had to post a reply. (i'm easily ammused [Big Grin] (more importantly anything to delay my studies))
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiggin105
Member # 7897

- posted      Profile for wiggin105   Email wiggin105         Edit/Delete Post 
11. still read it often. i think i have read it 8 times now.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
12, on the recomandation of a librarian.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ckaosblue
Member # 7966

- posted      Profile for Ckaosblue   Email Ckaosblue         Edit/Delete Post 
I was almost 19. My classmate was in a drug-induced stupor when his memory was jogged by something we were discussing in class -- I believe it was a 'what if' scenario about space aliens attacking the earth. (what that has to do with poly sci I have no idea...) So my classmate leans over and puts his copy of Ender's Game into my hand and says "Speaking of aliens..."
He was weird. But I took the book anyway and I read it.

All thanks to the space alien discussions in class. I guess George Wythe College was good for something. [Wink]

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGreatMrChibi
Member # 7862

- posted      Profile for TheGreatMrChibi   Email TheGreatMrChibi         Edit/Delete Post 
Fifteen. My uncle, a pastor, had been working his way through a list of the best science fiction and fantasy novels. I asked him if I could get in on the action, and he gave me Ender's Game, A Fire Upon The Deep, and Shadow and Claw for Christmas. A couple months later, I picked up EG and read through it in a week. The proceeding month saw the finishing of the rest of the series. (And now a few months after that I'm writing a report on it!)
Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
A pastor, a librarian, and a stoned college student - thus my tentacles reach into each of the major sources of cultural influence to seduce new readers into allowing my ersatz memories into their brains.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
I was 16... I read it over spring break...
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mojoric
Member # 7551

- posted      Profile for Mojoric   Email Mojoric         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was 18, but I still had a lot of kid in me. I also identified with Ender. I was never Mr. popular in school.

However it was the following series that really made me into the fan that I am.

My brother was 20, and he absolutely loved it as well. Very glad he recommended it to me.

Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 10 when I first read it and I loved it! I have since (I'm 17) read it through twice more and was able to understand more of the human emotion that I think is the most powerful element.
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogedog
Member # 8018

- posted      Profile for Dogedog   Email Dogedog         Edit/Delete Post 
Im 15; started with Enders Game when I was about 12, and I have read nothing but OSC books every since. I read all three series of books and about 6 of his single books; I can read them in about 3 to 4 days each if I really get into them. Finished them all in under and year. Currently im reading Saints( which has another title; got both and relized they were the same book.. lol). This is 700 pg. book, and the longest one I have read of his. After I am done with a set I go to the bookstore and get every book on sale that they have of his;I think all of his books are great, and they will contiune to be great for now and eternity.

ps. I have not quality; I have not read Ender's Game more then once, or any of his books; I go for quanity; many many books of imagination and wonder are waiting for me, and I personaly cant read the same book over and over again.

ENDER ENDER ENDER ENDER... GREAT BOOK... BUT..MOVE ON.... READ HIS OTHER BOOKS.. EXPAND YOUR MIND AND YOUR IMAGINATION

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it first time when I was 16 I think. I have know (about 1 1/2 year later) read it at least.. uhm.. four times I think.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Member # 7458

- posted      Profile for AB   Email AB         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention that my brother and I read the book together when I was home for summer-break from college and he was around 8 or 9. I would read one page then he would read the next. He would get frustrated because I could read so fast so I think we eventualy had me reading more. When read Speaker for the Dead the following summer. What a wonderful memory. I can hardly wait to start reading them with my two boys (who are now 3 & 1).

My husband loves to hear books read aloud so I have read many of the newer books to him, like the recent Alvin books, the Women of Genesis books, and Enchantment. We loved reading Lost Boys but my poor husband really lost it at the end. So did I and I had already read it about 3 times at that point!! We also cried at several points in Folk of the Fringe.

I think Mr. Card's theater background helps his books be so conducive to being read aloud. I highly recommend it!!

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obi-Zahn Kenobi
Member # 8036

- posted      Profile for Obi-Zahn Kenobi   Email Obi-Zahn Kenobi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 14 when I first read it. Some people I knew on the internet had reccomended it to me. So, I picked it up at the library and I immediately fell in love with it. I must have reread it twice in the first three days I had it. I immediately picked up Speaker and loved that.
Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Obi-Zahn! I take it you're a SW fiction fan? Check out our thread on SW books on the other side. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 12 when I first read it. My teacher was reading Ender's Shadow out loud to us so I checked out Ender's Game to read.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makerofthings
Member # 3979

- posted      Profile for Makerofthings   Email Makerofthings         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 40!

I don't think it is an age thing that causes some folk to not relate to it. This being said, I don't find the fact that the principals are children to be especially compelling part of the story. A younger person might.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
I was fifteen and I didn't like it too much...even though I understand that for story purposes Ender couldn't lose at anything, I hoped that he would. And in a way, Ender's Shadow fulfilled that thirst because Bean had bested Ender at everything except being a leader (which he did once Ender was gone and after he grew). So in short, I've always liked Shadow and Speaker the most.
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lock and key
Member # 8073

- posted      Profile for Lock and key   Email Lock and key         Edit/Delete Post 
I was about 13, I think. My mentor from church gave it to me for my birth day. i have sence then read EG(again) ES, SOTH(x2) SP(x2) and SOTG
polished the last one off in less thsn a week(actually finished yesterday)

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just another Dharma bum
Member # 6879

- posted      Profile for Just another Dharma bum   Email Just another Dharma bum         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend introduced me to the book. We've always played computer games or console games, and in middle school he began usuing 'Ender' as his online alias. After a while I got cuirous and asked how he got that name. He said it was from his favorite book, and he gave me the plot. I wanted to read it right away, and I borrowed it from him and read it in one day. I fell in love with Bean, and since then (9th grade) I've used it as my alias.

My friend only read the rest of the Ender books, while I only read the rest of the Bean books, it's very odd!

Posts: 84 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 19 when I first read the book. I needed a book to read on my trip to visit the college I would be attending the next year, and a friend had recommended it to me. I read it, loved it, and ended up using it in an admissions essay for the school's honors program (the question was something along the lines of "What book has had a large influence on your and why?"). It wasn't until I finished my first year of college this spring that I finally got back to the series and read Speaker for the Dead (and now I'm currently reading Xenocide). It's very good stuff, and I wish I had found it sooner.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.