FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » bookclub discussion questions for 7th son

Author Topic: bookclub discussion questions for 7th son
lilflour
Member # 8051

- posted      Profile for lilflour           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to share the tales of Alvin with my bookclub ladies(not an easy task) The librarian is asking me to find discussion questions. I need to find them...any suggestions? I am not adverse to creating my own but I fear they want a more formal approach. If I can't find a list, perhaps you could each pose a question. Writing style, symbolism, key concepts, characters, plot... I have read the series twice...insight would be helpful. LIL
Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
That's weird - that you can only have a discussion about books if somebody has already created an official list of topics!

Possible topics:

Where has the story of Seventh Son (and other books) varied from history? Do these changes in history make the story more entertaining? How many readers do you think will be aware of the differences between reality and the fantasy verion of history?

The fantasy premise of the Alvin Maker books is to show a version of America in which the magical folk beliefs of the frontier people are all real. How does it change the world to have magic so openly used? How does the magic work within the books? Why doesn't Alvin, with all the power he has, use it more to make the world better? Is Peggy's "knack" a blessing to her or a curse ... or just a burden?

The world of Alvin Maker has the primary races present in America at its founding representing such different cultures that they have different kinds of magic - the Greensong of the Reds, the magic of artifacts used by Blacks, and the magic of knacks used by Whites. Do these magics overlap? If Blacks have magical powers, why are they still enslaved? What about hexes and charms - they deal with objects, like the magic of Blacks , and make magic available even to people who don't have powerful knacks. Does magic make it so anything can happen in the story, or is it limited by clear rules?

What about the treatment of religion in the Alvin stories? Is the book anti-religious, or merely anti-hypocrisy?

Those are a starting point ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I bet your libarian is going to be impressed! Not just any questions, but ones from the author! I wish I was in your group! [Big Grin]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilflour
Member # 8051

Whoa!
Blow me away!
Thank-you Mr.Card...won't I be the impressed one.
Your questions are very insightful and more than the dribble that usually comes from our discussion questions which are quite mundane,practically self-explanatory.
We aren't that formal and I could have made my own questions but this was a hard book to sell. "We don't like science fiction!" How to explain the miracle and magic of the tales of Alvin. However, many of the ladies are 70+ and probably have been "pow-wowed" as my Dad was as a child. I live in the middle of Amish country, PA and hex signs are part of our daily life. I know they will all have stories to tell.
Thank-you for taking the time, LIL

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Member # 7458

- posted      Profile for AB   Email AB         Edit/Delete Post 
I have suggestions. I'm no OSC but . . .
I always find it interesting to discuss the family relationships in a book. Do the family relationships in 7th son seem realistic (Peggy's family, the Miller family)? Is the relationship between Alvin and his father realistic? What about Peggy and her mother?
If your group has read Beloved by Toni Morrison, it would be very interesting to compare the actions and life of lead character in Beloved (the mother) with that of Arthur Stuart's mother.
I hope your group has fun and moves onto the rest of the books in the series!

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
What does this mean?
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

quote:
and probably have been "pow-wowed" as my Dad was as a child
What does this mean exactly?

My son and I both dance in real powwows, but I'm pretty sure that is NOT what you are referring to.

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilflour
Member # 8051

Pow-wowers were healers that lived in a cluster in Rehmeyers Hollow, in York, PA. The book "Hex" is based on that. They practiced white magic.(mostly) My Dad was red haired and freckled all over. He went to a pow-wower and was told to rub half of a potato all over his skin and bury it under the chicken coop at midnight during a particular moon cycle. He was 15.
Within a month the only place he had a freckle left was on his back. Guess he couldn't reach that far. So...go figure that. His relatives were all Mennonites, a more modern Amish.

And thanks for all these great questions, I am writing them all down. The librarian started the book and said she couldn't put it down...I knew it. OSC rocks! LIL

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really be interested in hearing how your group reacts to the book. Do any of them have hexes on their homes or buildings? Do they feel that the concept of hexes in the Alvin series is handled respectfully?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

Thanks, that is interesting. I have never heard of that before!
lilflour
Member # 8051

Hey OSC fans,

I am starting my reading for the bookclub. I want to take notes and form discussion questions.
The bookclub meets this Friday.

INPUT WANTED:
If you are following this thread,
What points do YOU think I should bring up?
Who is your favorite character and why?
Good and Evil...how prevalant to the storyline?
Does OSC's religious affiliation figure in the book? Is it apparent?

What might I miss and what do you want to ask the ladies?

Help me come up with some great questions...
Thanks,
LIL

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to discuss the similarities between Alvin and Joseph Smith. Since OSC based this series, escpecially the earlier books, upon his life this would be a good place to start. Of course, if you are like me and know nothing of the LDS faith and founding, this may be a dificult comparison to make.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilflour
Member # 8051

bookclub in half an hour
hope we have success
and maybe more sales for mr osc
i feel nervous
the ladies better gab it up
talk to you later
thanks for all the help
LIL

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.