FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Battle School after Ender's Game

Author Topic: Battle School after Ender's Game
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
What I was always wondering was what became of Battle School and it's game after the Formick War? Was it shut down? I always thought it would be interesting to make a league sport out of it. Bring it back with teams and standings and have it be a sport. That could explain what happened to one of the other teachers like Dimak! For instance, after Ender wins and leaves on a colony ship Dimak gains control of battle school and makes a sport out of it. Or purhaps Anderson does after he realises that nothing in football compares to battle school. Maybe I'm just wishing for someone to come out of this and beat Ender's scores to shame. Dunno but I think it would be an interesting read though. And possibly something that Card could open up to other authors. Whaddaya think?
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
<Contains some spoilers from Shadow series --PJ>

Battle School I'm quite certain was turned inot the Ministry of Colonalization afte rthe war and some (but not all) of the teachers were given rewards and positions Earth side, others went to other assignments within the fleet or stayed to work with the Ministry.

Though it is a possibility that Battle School station continues to exist with ansible to coordinate colonization for a few centuries I doubt it continued to do so after awhile as planets became responcible to managing colonization of nearby planets themselves and it becomes after a while unfeasible to ocntinue repairing something that as lived out its usefullness as maintenance cost outstripps profit.

[ May 20, 2005, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Good extrapolation, Sid Meier. It was shut down as soon as the war ended. There was no further purpose in taking children away from their families, and they were all sent home. Then Graff got control of it for his colonization program.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well since the gravity manipulating is tech from the buggers, couldn't there be a battle room made on earth and make it a new team sport. or an aquivelant to paint ball or laser tag.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you mister Card you just made my day, but ya... I said something spoilerish? huh, I'm sorry but now I'm curious since I forgot what I said.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after the Hive Queen was published, I bet there wouldn't be a whole lot of hype for a sport based on the military training center whose grads decimated the Formics.

Plus that gravity-manipulating technology is probably verrrrry expensive. And top-secret. Like a lot of military technology.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And probably takes a lot more energy in Earth's gravitational field than in orbit.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
Well remember Bean got kids sent home even before the war ended. So it was in the process of being closed down before Ender had even destroyed the buggers.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSP_Molo
Member # 8102

- posted      Profile for DSP_Molo   Email DSP_Molo         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to see Enderverse fiction centered around the popularization of professional league "Battle Grav" some hundred years or so after the end of the Third Formic War, once all the secrets come out (remember, it wasn't public knowledge that Earth had grav manipulation).
Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx Sid for answering that. I don't get on the computer much to check reply's...often I just post them and not bother seeing how people respond but none the less thanx.
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.