FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC video interview at IGN

Author Topic: OSC video interview at IGN
JakeW
Member # 7888

- posted      Profile for JakeW   Email JakeW         Edit/Delete Post 
Check it out: http://media.psp.ign.com/media/714/714496/vids_1.html

It is about his gaming projects mostly. Good stuff.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
His voice is very, very different from how I imagined it
Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skippyboy
Member # 7600

- posted      Profile for skippyboy   Email skippyboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that him on the copy machine? [Smile]
Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AC:
His voice is very, very different from how I imagined it

I just thought the same thing. LOL He reminds me of my uncle to tell you the truth. I guess he really is my "Uncle Orsen." [ROFL]

[ May 28, 2005, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Exploding Monkey ]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought of his voice as sounding a lot lot like my dad's. LOL...weird.

I never like the Civ. games, I don't like the cartoonish look and all that. I like direct control of scale troops, like in Age of Empires, except with AoE your civilizations depend on the ability to attack or defend your opponents and very little chance for diplomacy.

An Alvin Maker graphic novel! Sweet! I can't wait.

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JakeW
Member # 7888

quote:
Originally posted by ChaosTheory:

I never like the Civ. games, I don't like the cartoonish look and all that. I like direct control of scale troops, like in Age of Empires, except with AoE your civilizations depend on the ability to attack or defend your opponents and very little chance for diplomacy.

I was never a big fan of the Civ games either, I LOVE RTS games though (Command & Conquer being my favourites, but the Age of Empire games are fantastic as well)
Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the turn based strat games like Civilization and Age of Wonders over stuff like RTS games. Most RTS' are just a race to see who can collect the most resources and then build the largest force first. They get old real quick.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like turn based strategy over RTS.

Anyway, that was a cool interview. Even though I knew that's what he sounded like. ^_^ (Since I've watched another interview of him before...heh.)

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Find
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! FINALLY! I know how he sounds like! Now I don't have to use my Graff voice when imagining him speak. He sounds like a person I can be friends with [Big Grin] since we both love games.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I like turn based and real time strategy games. That why I play Rome: Total War [Wink]
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I prefer RTS games to a degree especially since its a better multiplayer enviroment. However Civ2-3 I liked to play.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lego feet
Member # 8093

- posted      Profile for lego feet   Email lego feet         Edit/Delete Post 
i expected orson scott card to sound much nerdier and pissed off
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Meier:
I prefer RTS games to a degree especially since its a better multiplayer enviroment. However Civ2-3 I liked to play.

I would hope that you enjoyed playing Civ2-3 if you are who I think you are!
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
He's not -- his screen name is blatantly deceptive.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

count is now up to 8, of people who thought I was Sid Meier. [Big Grin]
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Sid Meier?

(dodges bricks)

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

*thows the bricks with glee*
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
*throws a second brick* Next thing, he'll be asking who John Carmack or Will Wright is! [Razz]
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JakeW
Member # 7888

Well if he doesn't know Sid Meier, John Carmack, or Will Wright, what about Yuji Naka?.... and no... it's unthinkable... he MUST know who Shigeru Miyamoto is, right??!!?
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Indeed, I saw Mr Miyamoto he's 1337.
Rackham
Member # 8127

- posted      Profile for Rackham   Email Rackham         Edit/Delete Post 
lol 1337... [Smile]
Posts: 62 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
For thelifeof me I couldn't remember who Sid Meier was, then I was like OO YEAH, but yeah, the only ppl there I recognized were Sid Meier and Miyomoto, who are the other ones?
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I always thought of his voice as sounding a lot lot like my dad's.
I rode in a car with him and Kristine once. I was in the back and not wearing my seat belt. When he found this out, he said that if I didn't buckle up right now, he was going to have to pull this car over and wait until I did. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silifi
Member # 7901

- posted      Profile for Silifi   Email Silifi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starsnuffer:
For thelifeof me I couldn't remember who Sid Meier was, then I was like OO YEAH, but yeah, the only ppl there I recognized were Sid Meier and Miyomoto, who are the other ones?

Will Wright I believe made the Sim games...

Carmack made was involved in Doom... I think.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JakeW
Member # 7888

Will Wright is the creator of the SimCity and Sims games, and founded studio Maxis (now part of EA)

John Carmack is the co-founder of id Software, creators of Doom and Quake

Sid Meier is the creator of Civilization

Yuji Naka is less well known than the others, to be fair, but his games aren't - he created Sonic.

Shigeru Miyamoto... now he is the man. The greatest game designer of all time. He created Donkey Kong, Mario, and Zelda.

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

quote:
Originally posted by JakeW:
(now part of EA)

Is any company NOT anymore? LOL
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

Wow, I chose those names last night when I should have been sleeping... I'm really glad I didn't go with my initial list of Gabe Newell, Greg Zeschuk, and Keita Takahashi... If anybody had gotten all three of those without googling for them, I'd be totally impressed.
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Keita Takahashi- any relation to Rumiko?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

I have no idea, I just know that he works for Namco
JakeW
Member # 7888

I know Gabe Newell, but I must say the other two stumped me.
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

Greg Zeschuk is one of the two founders of Bioware (Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate, among others), and (the really tough one) Keita Takahashi is the creator of Katamari Damacy which most of you have probably never heard of. Oh, and for those who didn't know, Gabe Newell is the big dog at Valve Software, the guys behind Half Life

Wow, I kind of pulled this topic off track.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.