FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Bestselling author of Xenocide?

Author Topic: Bestselling author of Xenocide?
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I was at Borders tonight, and I was glancing through the OSC books, as usual, and I picked up The Memory of Earth. I have been wanting to read the back of this book for some time, seeing as how normally, they are missing this first book of the series. So as I am looking it over, I notice how on the front cover, it says, "Bestselling author of Xenocide". Is this comment for The Memory of Earth's sake, or Xenocide's? [Wink]

Edit: Also, another topic I've been meaning to bring up, is anyone else annoyed by how ridiculously expensive paperbacks are these days? Eight bucks! Now that I think about it, I would have been cheaper for me to just get a signed hardcover of The Crystal City, rather than a not-signed paperback for four cents more (excluding shipping costs).

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
1. At the time Memory of Earth came out in paperback, Xenocide was my most recent novel that hit the NYTimes also-ran list, which is only listed online and within the industry, NOT in the top twenty that's published in the paper. But you always put the name of the most recent bestseller on the new book in hopes of picking up readers who liked it.

Unfortunately, judging from the subsequent sales of Children of the Mind, only nine people liked Xenocide. More than that BOUGHT it, of course ...

Sometimes it turns out that without meaning to, I wrote it for myself alone ...

2. As for the price of paperbacks - that's the result of the collapse of the mass market about a decade ago. The distributors who used to put mass market titles in grocery stores, etc., all folded into a couple or three companies, and THEY decided to stock only the genres of books that sold the most - women's romances and bestsellers. At that point, you no longer had economies of scale in mass market sales; a lot of books now don't come out in mass market at all. Instead, they come out in hardcover or trade paper (paperbacks the same size as a hardcover book, but ... paperback) and that's it.

And adjusting for inflation doesn't help - the price really IS higher. Back when hardcovers went from seven bucks to eight, paperbacks were about a buck fifty, if memory serves me right. And it might, for once. Now that paperbacks sell for about a third of the price of the hardcover, it does make you nostalgic for the good old days.

But ... I could be completely wrong in that memory. So ... does anybody know about a site that lists prices from different years? You know, what a list of things cost in 1950, 1960, 1970, etc.?

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

We all love Xenocide and Children of the Mind, but for different reasons than the other books. They just make you think quite a bit more... which is why general public tends to stay away from them.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be one of the nine [Smile]

Xenocide was the first book of yours that I read...and I then kept reading your books. [Razz]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But ... I could be completely wrong in that memory. So ... does anybody know about a site that lists prices from different years? You know, what a list of things cost in 1950, 1960, 1970, etc.?

Something like this?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any books at that link.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't find one with books. I found one that had selected foods cost though. Want that one?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We all love Xenocide and Children of the Mind, but for different reasons than the other books.
d00d, speak for yourself. [Razz]

j/k. They're not my favorite, but I don't have a serious aversion to them like I do to, well, I'm not going to go there.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Thats a nifty little link Boon.

Haha KQ [Razz]

Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
Back when Xenocide and Children of the Mind were being published, I didn't have the budget for hardcovers. So I bought used paperbacks from the book trader store.

But I loved the stories and I go back and reread them periodically.

NOW, when I have sample chapters on hatrack and the money, and (without putting too fine a point on it) a wife who also loves your stories, OSC, we buy hardcovers on or near the release date.

So, the idiot publishers really *should* keep making mass market runs of your books. Some of us don't come into money until after the hardcover run is finished!

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Speaker For the Dead and Xenocide. Those are, right now, my two favorite OSC books. Of course, I don't own them. I got them from a library loan one time. I'd love to buy them some day though.

I also want to get the Bean books and the Alvin books.

And yes, in paperback. Which is STILL, imo, much, much, much, much more cheaper then hardback.

Heck, if Shadow of the Giant was already out in paperback, I'd pick that up later this month instead of the hardback. But its not, so I'm getting the hardback.

Hmm. You know if I have the money, I should pick up Speaker For the Dead too!

DF2506
" Wonders to self when the next Alvin book is coming. Master Alvin! Looking forward to that alot too."

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lurkerq
Member # 8236

- posted      Profile for lurkerq   Email lurkerq         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry i no this is totally irrelevant, but how do you netpic?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
Xenocide is my favorite book by you Mr. Card, you should keep this "writing for yourself" thing going!
Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarifier
Member # 8167

- posted      Profile for Clarifier           Edit/Delete Post 
i have to say that ALL of the enderverse books are my favorites, just depends on which mood im in.

the bean books are fast paced, political, and exciting, speaker/xenocide/CotM are thoughtful, philosophical (cultural (or species) relativism anyone?), and incredibly creative. OSC, you are defenitly not only writing for yourself, and please dont let that thought postpone the writing or release of the books taht continue that series, becasue i absolutely cant wait for them

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poselito
Member # 8228

- posted      Profile for poselito   Email poselito         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sometimes it turns out that without meaning to, I wrote it for myself alone ..."

Ok, I will bite. We all love Xenocide and Children of the Mind.

It would just be funny to imagine a ficticious battle school add touting the training of Rose da Nose. Sure he was one in a million just to get into battle school, just knowing that Ender also came from there, it would be a funny add.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I couldn't find a website as mentioned but being a used bookstore buyer and collecter of many copies of the same book I can give you a price break down on the price of C.S. Lewis's The Magician's Nephew over the 40 years.

1959--book cover marked 50 cents
1967--book cover marked $1.25
1970--book cover marked $2.95
1990--book cover marked $4.95
2005--book cover marked $7.99

Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyetell
Member # 8229

- posted      Profile for eyetell   Email eyetell         Edit/Delete Post 
That is good resources osty, good for you
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyetell
Member # 8229

I'll remember you
OSTY
Member # 1480

Yes I think the guy at the used bookstore love me lots cause I take a lot of his paperbacks off his hands...and some of his hard to sell hardcovers too..but then he holds all the new OSC books till I come in and tell him if I want them or not...always a good person to know is your local used bookstore man!
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyetell
Member # 8229

my b. i thought u worked there
OSTY
Member # 1480

I am there enough I should work there. LOL
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
:: picked up hardcovers of Treasure Box, Homebody, and Memory of Earth for $2 a piece at the local free library booksale last night::
[Evil]

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and THEY decided to stock only the genres of books that sold the most - women's romances and bestsellers.
Women's romances? Pleh.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

That is awsome Amaseeaz...I am still hoping to find Treasure Box in hardcover! Plus I assume they are library editions!
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. not library editions. Hardcovers that somebody donated to the booksale. :-)
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

Still very kewl and nicely priced...I think on average I have paid about $4 for each of my used hardcovers.
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know how in the back of a lot of old paperbacks, theres a page listing books by the same author and others in the genre.

Most of them have prices and an order form. You might be able to pick up a copy of your favorite paperback for a buck and a half...

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not feel too sorry for Mr. Card, now. He was just fishing for a bit of reassurance there, with that Xenocide/CoTM comment, and I for one have no sympathy. [Wink]

Anyways, not counting people on this board, everyone I personally know who has read the original Ender Quartet enjoys them more as the series progresses, so CoTM is the all around fave (and I'm talking like 4 people other than myself who have read them).

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyetell
Member # 8229

really..... that's fascinating
Hamson
Member # 7808

quote:
Originally posted by OSTY:
...but being a used bookstore buyer and...

I love to buy used book stores. Hehe

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.