FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Locke and Demosthenes

Author Topic: Locke and Demosthenes
eyetell
Member # 8229

- posted      Profile for eyetell   Email eyetell         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the days of Shadow of the Hegemon, and Shodow Puppets, Locke and Demosthenes, aka Peter Wiggan ruled public oppinion through the nets. I was wondering if there are any modern day "lockes" or "Demosthenes" or major public forums were they would would write.

Any and all info would be appreciated, or gmail me at my own name.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be sick if our *real life* propagandists were as smart as Peter Wiggin? Rush Limbaugh out to take over the earth?

Terrifying.

I don't think an actual internet equivalent exists. Our society has not integrated the nets in any way similar to what was portrayed in Ender's Game.

Maybe a couple of alien invasions would change that, though.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
The Nets in EG are based on the idea that Nets are used for research, true, but more prioritised on communication and discussion...

reminds me of this old mac add... in a way..

http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/AppleKnowledgeNavigatorPromo.mov

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyetell
Member # 8229

- posted      Profile for eyetell   Email eyetell         Edit/Delete Post 
But is there any major forums that millions of people go to see? I haven't seen any yet. Seems kind of odd....
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think an actual internet equivalent exists. Our society has not integrated the nets in any way similar to what was portrayed in Ender's Game.
Exactly. It would be interesting though to see someone pull off a forum that works similar to those described in the Ender books.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was wondering if there are any modern day "lockes" or "Demosthenes" or major public forums were they would would write.

I just need a website to host my columns. [Razz]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

- posted      Profile for Antony   Email Antony         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It would be interesting though to see someone pull off a forum that works similar to those described in the Ender books.
awww man, the spam on that board would be unbearable!

It would also be damn hard to keep up with new submissions with so many posters... don't know how it would work.

Posts: 95 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silifi
Member # 7901

- posted      Profile for Silifi   Email Silifi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
awww man, the spam on that board would be unbearable!

It would also be damn hard to keep up with new submissions with so many posters... don't know how it would work. [/QB]

Post Timer of 10 minutes. It would also keep morons from posting stuff, most posts would actually be well thought out.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
if i remember correctly, when Peter and Val were first getting started, they had to use their dad's account to get access to the more influential forums, and from there they were invited by others into the even more influential forums... to me it didnt sound like just every jo schmo was able to access these forums.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
this is the most idiotic X repeated thread of all.

I'd like to ask for permission to kill it, once and for all?

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
And from that day forth alluvion became known as....*drum roll*.......the repetitive thread killer. Tracking down evil, repetitive, newbies wont stop bringing them back threads and putting them into the gutter once and for all. [Big Grin]

Can I be your sidekick? [Evil]

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
pssst. Sssshhh. I heard the *thread killer* is about!
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dink
Member # 1185

- posted      Profile for Dink   Email Dink         Edit/Delete Post 
Now here's something I've thought of way too often! Taking to mind that when this book was written, the internet was practically nonexistent. I'd say the closest thing to this kind of public access is the net itself. Wanna be influential, get yourself a web site and start posting opinions. However the way our government is going, if you do end up having some kind of influence, expect the FBI to come knocking on your door. My guess is that Enders parents already had high positions within the government, hence why Peter never 'disappeared'
Posts: 62 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

- posted      Profile for Antony   Email Antony         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC took an ever so slightly less cynical view of the future then those sci-fi authors who would have had it run by Men In Black [Wink]
Posts: 95 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dink:
Now here's something I've thought of way too often! Taking to mind that when this book was written, the internet was practically nonexistent. I'd say the closest thing to this kind of public access is the net itself. Wanna be influential, get yourself a web site and start posting opinions. However the way our government is going, if you do end up having some kind of influence, expect the FBI to come knocking on your door. My guess is that Enders parents already had high positions within the government, hence why Peter never 'disappeared'

Peter's Dad (John Paul) had some sort of high ranking position in the hegemon office, Theresa (Peter's mother) was a scienist. (per the short story anthology "First Meetings in the Enderverse")
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I know they WANTED as hinted in the short story(s) to try to overthrow/replace the Hegemony since the percieved of it at the time as being immoral and allowing evil/tyranical countries to hold their power. Now we can safely say that the IF put them together knowing they'll snap together to produce the child they need to save the world BUT what I find interesting now is that because of their involvment they seem to have been unable to pursue their aims beyond a certain point (career wise) since becomming parents. I geuss they got too distracted in their home job.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qrios
Member # 5259

- posted      Profile for Qrios   Email Qrios         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the Daou Report at Salon.com. It collects several top blogs from the left and right. Always something interesting there - and a good structure for starting a blog of your own with Radio Userland.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

Orange7Penguin,

sidekick? That's a bit of a lofty goal, doncha think?

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Well you already claimed to be the threadkiller and as anyone nows that unless you make like a superhero team that you can only have one solo hero in anyone city at a time. So I would have to go find a new city which I don't want to do. So do you whant to make a team then?
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

I never claimed to be a "threadkiller". Those are the auspices and audacities of a cadre-kin of malicious individuals who would rather mock than make.

Threadkilling is not for the weak at heart...

Leon the Professional
Member # 8267

- posted      Profile for Leon the Professional   Email Leon the Professional         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to see some radical viewpoints, go to http://maddox.xmission.com/
If you're talking about a serious forum to debate current events and politics in today's world, I'm sure you would actually find this interesting.
www.ebaumsworld.com/forum
Scroll down to the Current Events section. They like talking about a lot of things that go on in today's world, especially with Bush, Iraq, Jackson, etc. It can get pretty hot sometimes, and some topics like abortion, death penalty, and the Church have sort of been beat into the ground there, but it's still interesting.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.