FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender's Jeesh... a little help?

Author Topic: Ender's Jeesh... a little help?
ElaRibeira
Member # 8306

- posted      Profile for ElaRibeira   Email ElaRibeira         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to compile a complete list of the jeesh members and their nationalities, and I need to fill in a few holes, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Here's what I've got so far:

Ender Wiggin - America (half Polish, half ?)
Bean - The Netherlands (Greek by birth)
Dink Meeker - The Netherlands
Petra Arkanian - Armenia
Alai - African muslim... any specific country?
Shen - Japan
Carn Carby - Australia
Crazy Tom - England
Hot Soup - China
Vlad - Russia
Fly Molo - Phillipines?
Dumper - Peru?

There should be one more, but I can't figure out who. I've got all five toon leaders. I just finished a reread of Ender's Game, and any jeesh member mentioned by name is already on the list. The only semi-likely person I could think of was Pol Slattery, because he was one of the commanders who was polite and honorable, etc. Unfortunately, all my other Ender books are in storage at school for the summer, or I'd be skimming through a few likely scenes for names right now. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's all of the jeesh members. I remember that in SotH 10 had been kidnapped, plus Ender and Bean makes 12 total. The countries seem right too. I don't recall any specific nationality being mentioned for Alai. I think that Ender's mom, Theresa Wiggin, was probably born in America, and all I know about her family is that their last name (Theresa's maiden name) is Brown. It's also been mentioned that Bean has some African in him in addition to Greek.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaRibeira
Member # 8306

- posted      Profile for ElaRibeira   Email ElaRibeira         Edit/Delete Post 
There should be 12 besides Ender, according to Ender's Game he would usually organize them either in 3 groups of 4 or 4 groups of 3. Theresa was born in America (Graff says something about her denying she was born in Utah to avoid people assuming her to be Mormon). Brown is an English name, isn't it? Ah well, close enough. And thanks for mentioning Bean's African heritage - I'd completely forgotten about that.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have EG or ES on hand (forgive me - I'm in the middle of a move), but I double-checked with SotG, and that's the list out of there. But I agree with Ela... the number 12 really sticks out to me. I think I remember, when reading Ender's Shadow, being confused about the Jeesh. To me, EG left the impression that there were a lot of squadron leaders, and I figured it was not only his close friends at BS, but also top-notch CS students. Again, if I had the book on me, I would make myself more clear, but I think the one guy that got lost in the mix was the ageless Pol Slattery. I could have sworn he was in the list in EG of the best Ender fought with and against at BS. I'll see if I can at least get my hands on a copy of EG and get back to you [Smile]
Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not that great with helping you on the original question, but I might be able to shine some light into the question of how many members of his Jeesh there were.

There were 37 members (including Ender) in Ender's Jeesh at one point or time (how many of these were in the final battle is unclear.)

Page 273, Ender's Game.

quote:
You have been assigned three dozen such leaders to train.
But then on the next page it refers to Ender setting them up in three or four toons, having three or four members. So I'm guessing each squadron would have four members, and there would be three toons, each having three squardrons. (Or three toons with four squadrons of three each... or four toons with three squadrons of three each.)

Also, see this post with a comment by OSC.

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/main/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003046

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LB Bry
Member # 8309

- posted      Profile for LB Bry   Email LB Bry         Edit/Delete Post 
You have the full list according to ES and the shadow series. In the oppening talk of Chapter 21 in ES they specifically say to send 10 people from Battle School who will meet Carn Carby at Tactical School and become Ender's Jeesh. That makes 11, and 12 with Ender. This number is confirmed with SofH, when the kids are taken.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaRibeira
Member # 8306

Thanks everybody! I'm assuming that since I've had no more comments on countries of origin, my list is correct and as complete as the books provide. I want to draw a picture of the whole jeesh together, hence wanting full list w/ nationalities.

Wait. I just remembered something. In one of the Shadow books, there's a comment about Vlad helping Russia even though he's not actually from Russia, but from one of the smaller countries that was formerly part of the Soviet Union (something about how the loyalty to Mother Russia was still there...). Gah! Why are my books in storage for the summer! Whyyyyyy? Anyone happen to remember which satelite country Vlad was from?

TheClone
Member # 6141

Belarus.

Page 128, Shadow of the Hegemon.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaRibeira
Member # 8306

Thanks!
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the list I came up with:

Andrew Wiggin "Ender" --- American (Greensboro, NC)
Julian Delphiki "Bean" --- Greek
Petra Arkanian --- Armenian (Maralik)
Dink Meeker --- Dutch
Carn Carby --- Australian
Fly Molo --- Filipino
Han Tzu "Hot Soup" --- Chinese
Vladimir Denisovitch Porotchkot --- Belarussian
Champi T'itu "Dumper" --- (South America?)
Alai --- (Middle East/Africa?)
Shen --- Japanese
Crazy Tom --- British
-------------------------------------
I also made a family tree of the Wiggins and one of the Delphikis. Its on paper, though. Perhaps someday I'll transfer it to computer!

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

If I recall correctly, didn't the Wiggins move to Greensboro AFTER Ender left? I did a quick search. He should have only visited Greensboro once (After battle school, when Valentine came to visit him.) (Page 156, Shadow of the Hegemon.) They also make a reference to that he was a big city kid, but I am not sure of the name of the city.
ElaRibeira
Member # 8306

You're right. And I'm pretty sure they never name the city. Although Ender does sort of consider Greensboro home. That is, he misses it when he's on Eros, more than he ever missed the city.
TheClone
Member # 6141

True. I suppose, if you want to follow the logic of "Home is where the heart is." Then I'd say Greensboro is definitely the place. That's the childhood he never had. (Not that Valentine and Peter had much of a childhood...)
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Where was all this stuff about the jeesh numbering in the thirties when I was writing Hegemon? <grin>. Can't help the occasional contradiction - I can't hold all this stuff in memory. Maybe the other invisible members were just the jeesh members' stuffed animals or imaginary friends. Yeah, imaginary friends, we'll go with that.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.