FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mr Card did you ever review Treasure Planet?

Author Topic: Mr Card did you ever review Treasure Planet?
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it hilarious and I liked how they got Frasiers brother and Tommy from the "3rd Rock form the Sun" in it, made laugh at every joke especially the part where the Prof said: "Oh shut up and let me drive!" The Captain and the Prof were such a married couple then it was enevitable.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Disney films make me want to vomit for the most part. At best I like one out of about every twenty (so I do my best to aviod watching them at all).

The excellent Pixar Studios doesn't count though, as all their stuff is original and Disney is just the distributor.

I do want to see the new Herbie film. I know it's going to be a cliched, predictable ride, but I grew up on the little guy, and he's the reason I have a love affair with the classic VW Beetle.

I miss my old Beetle. [Frown]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Disney movies!

Of course, I think Pixar has done the best in recent years (Increbibles, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, etc are all great), but traditional Disney has made a few really good ones, like Treasure Planet and Mulan (just saw this recently. really good movie, imo).

Though, I admit I haven't seen Tarzan, Herculas, Pochantas, the Hunchback, or any of the various lame looking direct to video sequels (though Tarzan, Herc, Pochantas, and Hunchback do look interesting and I may have to see them one of these days).

I did see Brother Bear and that was a good movie. Not as good as Treasure Planet or Mulan, but close.

I definitly like the Lion King, Aladin (and the third sequel), and some of the other Disney movies they did before the recent batch.

Disney tv has gone down hill fast though. Disney use to create some really cool animated shows (like Gargoyles, Talespin, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, and a few years ago Recess), but now they are creating really lame animated shows. The animation isn't as good as it use to be nor are the stories.

Admittly, I'm not the audience for these toons, but Disney use to make toons that could appeal to both grown ups and kids. Pixar does that and traditonal Disney movies does it a little (like with Mulan and Treasure Planet), but not as much as they use to I think.

Anyway, rambling aside, I think Disney can still be great. Too bad Pixar left them. Hope they guys still make some great toons though!

DF2506
" I really should watch Treasure Planet again one of these days.."

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Disney films make me want to vomit for the most part.
I can't think of anything that makes me want to vomit. I hate vomiting.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Tarzan was pretty good. I never saw Hercules because it looked like the style of animation that says "we're going to be jazzy and cool here" and frankly, I never enjoy movies that think they're jazzy and cool. Pocahontas makes hash of history and totally sentimentalizes the Red Man (remember: torturing enemies to death as a routine part of war; not cuddly), but it is still moving and at times even beautiful.

I thought Treasure Planet was pretty good. If I didn't review it, it must be because it came out before I was writing my weekly review column. But I THOUGHT I remembered writing about it. What was it ... an email?

We're working to get my columns in a more searchable format ... as of right now, even I can't find anything.

But wait! I have recently installed Copernic on my computer, so maybe it IS findable. And lo! It has been found! Here's the review, from the first of December, 2002:

Treasure Planet is wonderful fun, whether you have a kid to take you to see it or not. The human relationships in this animated film definitely take place in a post-Iron Giant world — in other words, there is some actual reality in the characters.

Adapting Robert Louis Stephenson’s Treasure Island to a sci-fi setting was an inspired idea. Yes, there’s some pretty silly science in it — sailing ships in space? Interstellar whales? — but they do show that they know which rules they’re breaking.

Above all, they kept the strength of the story. While making Long John Silver’s moral ambivalence much more obvious than it is in the book (this is a cartoon, remember), it’s still just as complicated as ever.

The obligatory “cute sidekick” from the Disney formula-book is a delight and actually serves a purpose in the film, while making Billy Bones into a semi-deranged robot worked perfectly. More like this, Mr. Eisner, please

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
*clap clap* hats off to you Mr. Card! [Hat]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DF2506:

Disney tv has gone down hill fast though. Disney use to create some really cool animated shows (like Gargoyles, Talespin, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, and a few years ago Recess), but now they are creating really lame animated shows. The animation isn't as good as it use to be nor are the stories.

Disney Radio is much farther downhill. They don't seem to bother with *children's* programming any more (at least as far as I've been able to hear, touching on it as I dial across the XM stations); it's just a shillpoint for their pop artists, which (with the possible exception of Lindsay Lohan, IMO, who really can perform, if she can keep herself from self-destruction) are basically Kids Bop with less modesty, and precisely as much originality.

But "Kim Possible" is a HOOT, man! We watch it as a family.

Rob

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I never saw Hercules because it looked like the style of animation that says "we're going to be jazzy and cool here" and frankly, I never enjoy movies that think they're jazzy and cool.
It was formula Disney, and c'mon, you've got the Muses singing "That's the Gospel Truth" about the Greek Pantheon!

That's entertainment on at least two levels. I think it's worth a rental.

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...I tend to get a kick out of laughing at "jazzy/cool" that's not really jazzy or cool.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Copernic great? I love it.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Hercules was absolutely hilarious. I didn't care for the animation. The visual style came from the animator for Pink Floyd's "The Wall", images that were the source of many recalled nightmares even though I only remember seeing the movie when I was 19.

But the movie contained numerous allusions to things from my generation (70's/80's kid) that kids today would not get.

In fact, some of the funniest kids stuff is like that- not really all for kids- Shrek, Shrek 2, Looney Toons, Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents, Jimmy Neutron, Hercules cartoon series, and Dave the Barbarian. (I know OSC loved Spongebob and Jimmy Neutron. [Razz] )

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I avoided seeing Hercules at first because it looked like a step down, visually at least, from the several huge summer movies they had come out with in the immediately preceding years (Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid). It looked like a TV Cartoon, and I thought it was less ambitious. Well, in a way, it was. It wasn't powerful like Lion King or Mulan. But it was wicked funny. In fact, I'd say it's the funniest cartoon Disney ever made. Definitely worth watching on video.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Hercules was funny and had a good story.

Tarzan made me want to puke...I didn't like the animation and listening to that (pardon my words) crappy Phil Collins song for 2 hours drove me f'ing insane.

I love old Disney though: Robin Hood, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Dumbo...etc...all of those are very cool.

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
The last Disney film that wasn't Pixar that I liked was "The Emperor's New Groove". The writing and timing of the whole thing made me laugh.

Ever since I saw Miyazaki I've been spoiled rotten. [Smile] I really don't like the visual quality of the Disney movies post-Beauty and the Beast.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.