FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Top things to NOT say/do at an OSC book signing... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Top things to NOT say/do at an OSC book signing...
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
I got one:

"Man, your wife is hot! She free tomorrow night?"

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Domande
Member # 8287

- posted      Profile for Don Domande   Email Don Domande         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom -

Yeah, that was me...it's a birthmark, though - not a tattoo! [Wink]

I didn't hear the woman ask about prophecy...yikes!

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the site, Don. [Smile] It was a pleasure to meet you and your family.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
"why aren't you wearing your KamaCon t-shirt?"
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jiminy
Member # 7917

- posted      Profile for Jiminy   Email Jiminy         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew OSC was gonna be in Madison on the 9th. I knew it was the 9th. I forgot to go. Why? Brilliant question. Apparently I hadn't quite fused the real world with the "OSC Book Signing" one in my head, or something. I am a tool, and I deserve to die alone.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>> I didn't hear the woman ask about prophecy...yikes!

Somebody better 'splain. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin*

"Mr. Card, you write about characters who have the gift of prophecy with such a clear and accurate description. You obviously know what it's like. Do you have the gift of prophecy yourself, or do you merely know someone who does?"

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
And what was the answer?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

He believes the gift of prophecy exists, but doesn't think he has it himself, and moreover admits to immediately ignoring whatever else someone says after they claim to have the gift of prophecy.
Don Domande
Member # 8287

- posted      Profile for Don Domande   Email Don Domande         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Oh, my.

Wouldn't you love to hear all of "those" type of questions and comments that OSC has heard over the years?

On another note, how scary it must be for that person to feel like she has those kind of visions, and yet be all alone in believing it.

Yikes.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Tom!

Our Q&A for 'Shadow of the Giant' was decidedly more tame.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wouldn't you love to hear all of "those" type of questions and comments that OSC has heard over the years?
I would.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it is just me, but it seems a tiny bit hypocritical of OSC to claim to believe that prophecy exists but he doesn't believe anyone who says they are a prophet. To me that says he doesn't actually believe in prophets after all.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
No. It means he doesn't think someone with the gift of prophecy would proclaim themselves in this way.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jiminy
Member # 7917

- posted      Profile for Jiminy   Email Jiminy         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, due to it being overwhelmingly probable that the person making such a claim is lying or deranged, it is pragmatic not to believe them.

You believe in people who have bowled a 300, yes? Do you believe everyone who tells you they have?

[ July 11, 2005, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Jiminy ]

Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriam
Member # 8351

- posted      Profile for Miriam   Email Miriam         Edit/Delete Post 
So Madison was great, but who's up to Carmel IN? I think it's only about 1 1/2 hours farther from my house than Madison was. Sophie and Juliana are adorable. I was somewhere behind you in line.

I'll probably have my little 22 mo old bundle of terror/energy w/me there (until I beg my oldest and my almost daughter to take him to the children's section).

Mr. Card - My daughter thought you had a great sense of humor. Now I have to take my son to see you and my almost daughter.

[ July 12, 2005, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Miriam ]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Or OSC could believe that the gift of prophecy exists, but is not intended to be shared with others. Or if it is to be shared, it would come with more credentials than "I have the gift of prophecy."
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*prints up nifty Certified Prophet credentials on her laser printer*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

By "almost daughter," do you mean "daughter of a fiance?" [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
By "almost daughter," do you mean "daughter of a fiancé?" [Smile]

Maybe she means fiancée of son?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriam
Member # 8351

- posted      Profile for Miriam   Email Miriam         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
By "almost daughter," do you mean "daughter of a fiance?" [Smile]

By almost daughter I mean my daughter's best friend. She calls me Mom and moved into my house "temporarily" tonight. She has a mom, but her biological mom is going through a rough time right now. She's a great kid and I just want her to have someplace where she feels secure and loved. (but man, two hormonal preteen girls in the same house! I must be insane)

No fiance. I am lucky to have been married to my best friend for several years. The man who has never complained about me buying clothes for a child not our own and who didn't say a word when I called and told him she was staying w/us for a while.

The joke in his family is that I seem to collect other people's kids. It's not intentional. I just can't say "no" if I see a child that needs something.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]

BTW, I haven't welcomed you to Hatrack yet, so welcome! [Wave]

Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Since a friend of mine is guilty, I'll list this one.

Never put Mr. Card on the spot by handing him a Cell PHONE and say, "Here, could you talk to my friend in Colorado who couldn't be at any signings!!!" (I was the friend! It was a surprise to me also when he did this.) Mr. Card was the ever so gracious man and we survived the awkwardness. Though, it was joyful and amusing to me, I would still say, Don't do it!

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a "Spokane is Reading" Ender's Game discussion last year where somebody asked Mr. Card to say hello to his son, even though said son was not present and I'm pretty sure was nowhere within hearing range (I believe he was across the state in Seattle).
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE SIGNING!!!! You guys know me. I would have come, hell or high water, if I had even been aware it was happening! Stupid work that has had me in a cave.

*throws tantrum*

However as far as things that have or have not been said to OSC about his books. My own contribution:

"Yeah it got a little wet, I read your books in the bathtub."

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm... looks like I could see him in Indianapolis at the end of this month.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
this is something i did while at endercon. I put my character names From VBS on my name tag. when he asked what the names where for. when i told him that the names where from VBS. I wasn't sure if he was weirded out by it. or that i was just another nutty fan.

[Laugh] [Hail] [Blushing] [Confused] [Dont Know]

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude...as Orson Scott Card is my hero, last night was definately one of the highlights of my life. I got to meet my hero and ask him questions. How cool is that? How many seventeen-year-olds get to do that? I feel so lucky.

[Party]

Thank you Mr. Card for coming to Pasadena and signing my books. Thank you for giving me some advice and thank you for at least acting like you cared.

P.S. Do you remember me? Just kidding... [Big Grin]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dude, you don't remember me? I was the guy with the purple pants! Remember that purple pants guy? That was so totally me, dude!" hehehehe

Ah, memories. I remember, at one science fiction convention, Harlan Ellison, at a speech he was giving, singled me out of the crowd to serenade me with a song about Branch Davidians, sung to to the tune of "The Lumberjack Song".

I think it was because I was conpicuously eyeing the exit and looked like a refugee from The Gap(tm).

At least that wasn't as bad as that time I took a swing at Carl Macek.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Moonshine, which person were you? Several of us were there last night (myself, rivka, docmagik, jd2cly60 <don't ask>) and I know I would have loved to meet another Jatraquera. I was one of the guys with very loud but well-meaning children.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

I was the tall red headed girl. I've been told that I do not look 17.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

Also...my dad was the guy that OSC asked to stand up.

I thought I heard the words "Hatrack" and "PWeb..."

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't there for several parts, including anyone being asked to stand up -- I kept attending to children. Is it possible I sat directly behind you? Were you in (I think) the second row, pretty much center?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid jerks with your inhabited regions, think you're so great because people live near where you are, and you have things like get-togethers and fancy-shmancy book-signings. Try living out on the frontier for awhile, where you only know the outside world by reputation. That'd show you. [Grumble]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yes, Pop. She was directly in front of us. Hey, Moonshine! I was the one with the snood who kept heckling OSC. [Wink]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm late for this, but I got one.

"You see this birthmark? It looks just like your left ear if you squint really good. You know what that means? I'm your long lost brother!"

Edit: I just wanted to point out that I chose a completely random OSC body part. In no way am I insulting OSC's left ear.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

Yeah that was me in my "retro" NSYNC shirt...(sarcasm)laundry day and I was still cool enough to find it. Oh well.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
About the "prophecy" thing - my disdain is for people who claim they have the gift of prophecy in order to get you to do what they want - like pay them money <grin> or obey them. That is very different from having a position of authority within an ecclesiastical organization, where by virtue of your position you are believed to be empowered to speak the will of God (cf. the Pope, the Mormon Church president, etc.)

In the context of the question as I understood it, she was asking whether I accept the idea that people have a gift of prophecy that they can exercise at will to tell other people of their future. And I don't believe such a gift, as thus explained, exists. It is the stuff of sci-fi or fantasy.

Instead, I believe in the ability to know things that could not have been known through rational means, but the knowledge comes from God for God's purpose; it cannot be exercised by people on demand, and the gift doesn't belong to THEM but to God, and is bestowed only when and where he needs to have that knowledge made available. That's a very different proposition, and it's very rare, and I believe it's far too sacred a thing for me to use it in my fiction, so I don't. I use the other, nonexistent kind <grin>.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
i was at the pasedina signing as well. lol. I was wondering where my fellow hatrackers were, even though im relatively new here. I'm only 15, and i was there with my sister. I was wearing all black. It was awesome meeting OSC. He's such a cool guy
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I think there were several young males wearing all black . . . [Dont Know] Sorry.

Catch you at the next one. [Smile]

Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER: MAGIC STREET ****Danger Will Rogers!!!!*****

In Magic Street Word gives 'words of knowledge,' and Healing under the guise of prophetic voice/power. Later finds out that it's the power of the Oberon-thus not from the Holy Spirit.

In the end however, Puck goes back to fix all the wrongs that were done. Does that mean that they will be restored to original state or that Tamika, and the like will be 'healed?' or granted their true wish? (I don't know if I missed this clarification.)

If they are granted their wish, doesn't that put Word back on the 'healer, evangelical, penticostal' pedistal? All that he prophesized did come to pass if so. (Their wishes/prayers come true, as prophesized by Word.)

Just a thoughtful reflection and question after reading the book.

I hope I conveyed that well enough.

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Verily- I lived in Anchorage for two and a hald years, on Elmendorf AFB. I feel your pain. However, it's so much more beautiful up there than it is anywhere else in the country, and I'd give anything to go back, even just for vacation. However, money prevents all vacations at the moment...hmm, maybe after college.... in like five years...
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

Hey...Lanfear...were you in the front row?
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
No.. lol we were like five minutes late. I was sitting on the floor in the bottom left corner. It was still amazing though
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*takes notes from thread*
I'll be going to a signing in two weeks, yipee! I already bought my hardcover copy of the book (and I *never* buy hardcover).

In light of a recent thread, here's another one: Don't ask Mr. Card for a hug. And don't put your arm around his shoulder.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC: "Okay, who'm I signing this to?"

Reply: "Jonathan, sir, Jonathan Howard."

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
From pictures ive seen OSC likes to squich his fans heads. i think theres thre or four floating around.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

What?
rivka
Member # 4859

Squished Moose
An oldie but a goodie
Group headsquish!

Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hey, can I get a picture with you, punching me?"
-Me, at Endercon

he obliged, but he took a moment to think about it..

Judas

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.